Face VS Figures: Features of Constructing the Age of an Unfamiliar Person Based on the Perception of His Portrait and Height Photographs
The aim of the work was to identify the features of constructing the age of an unfamiliar person based on the perception of his face (portrait photography) and physique (height photography). The main method was the procedure of "Photovideopresentation of the appearance" by T.A. Vorontsova. Photographs of four women and four men of different ages were presented to the subjects of perception for age assessment; the eye movements of the subjects of perception were tracked using the Gazepoint GP3 Eye Tracker. The sample of perception subjects included 76 people — 38 men (M=28.84 years) and 38 women (M=28.79 years) aged 21 to 59 years. Results: 1) the perceived age of an unfamiliar person, constructed by the observing subject on the basis of the perception of a face (portrait photograph), significantly differs from the age constructed on the basis of the perception of his integral appearance, presented in a growth photograph. The differences are mediated by the gender-age characteristics of the object of perception; 2) the number of fixations in solving the problem of determining the age of an unfamiliar person when considering his portrait photography is significantly greater than when considering a growth photograph, regardless of the gender and age characteristics of the object of perception; differences in viewing time are mediated by gender and age of the object of perception: the face of women and mature adults is viewed longer than photos of their integral appearance (growth photos); 3) the number of fixations and the time of viewing the faces of women is significantly more than the faces of men; there are significantly more faces of mature people than young people; the number of fixations in the perception of a growth photograph of women is significantly greater than a growth photograph of men; 4) the greatest concentration of views in determining the age of an unfamiliar person is focused on his face, regardless of the accessibility to the perception of body features. The "triangle of interest" in the perception of portrait photography (forehead, bridge of nose, eyes, nose, upper lip) is described; when perceiving a growth photograph, the zone of the greatest concentration of fixations includes 2/3 of the upper left part of the face of the object of perception and captures the hair, forehead, ear, nose, eyes. The results obtained are discussed in the context of a communicative approach to perception research.
Keywords: age, perceived age, appearance, face, physique, social cognition, social perception, men, women, age groups, oculomotor activity
Journal rubric: Face Science
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The reported study was funded by Russian Science Foundation, project number 22-28-01763, https://rscf.ru/en/project/22-28-01763/ at the Southern Federal University.
For citation: Vorontsova T.A., Artamonova A.G. Face VS Figures: Features of Constructing the Age of an Unfamiliar Person Based on the Perception of His Portrait and Height Photographs. Eksperimental'naâ psihologiâ = Experimental Psychology (Russia), 2023. Vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 34–52. DOI: 10.17759/exppsy.2023160303. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Aitreking v psikhologicheskoi nauke i praktike [Eyetracking in psychological science and practice] In V.A. Barabanshchikov (Ed.). М.: Kogito-Tsentr, 2015. 410 p.(In Russ.).
- Anan'eva K.I., Demidov A.A., Samoilenko E.S. Mezhlichnostnoe vospriyatie: kak situatsiya opredelyaet nashu otsenku drugogo cheloveka [Interpersonal perception: how does the situation determine our assessment of another person]. Eksperimental'naya psikhologiya= Experimental psychology, 2022. Vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 4—16. DOI:10.17759/exppsy.2022150301 (In Russ.).
- Barabanshchikov V.A. Psikhologicheskie mekhanizmy vospriyatiya vyrazhenii litsa [Psychological mechanisms of perception of facial expressions].Litso cheloveka kak sredstvo obshcheniya: Mezhdistsiplinarnyi podkhod [The human face as a means of communication: An interdisciplinary approach]. In V.A. Barabanshchikov, A.A. Demidov, D.A. Diveev (Ed.). М.: Kogito-Tsentr, 2012. P. 13—31. (In Russ.).
- Barabanshchikov V.A. (ed.) Kognitivnye mekhanizmy neverbal'noi kommunikatsii [Cognitive mechanisms of nonverbal communication]. М.: Kogito-Tsentr, 2017. 359 p.(In Russ.).
- Demidov A.A., Diveev D.A., Kutenev A.V. Otsenka vozrasta i individual'no-psikhologicheskikh kharakteristik cheloveka po vyrazheniyu litsa [Assessment of age and individual psychological characteristics of a person by facial expression]. Eksperimental'naya psikhologiya= Experimental psychology, 2012.Vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 69—81. (In Russ.).
- Demidov A.A., Anan'eva K.I. Okulomotornaya aktivnost' pri vospriyatii lits [Oculomotor activity in the perception of faces].Aitreking v psikhologicheskoi nauke i praktike [Eyetracking in psychological science and practice] In V.A. Barabanshchikov (Ed.). М.: Kogito-Tsentr, 2015.Pp. 64—77. (In Russ.).
- Labunskaya V. A., Drozdova I. I. Sotsial'no-psikhologicheskie determinanty uspeshnosti kodirovaniya i interpretatsii ekspressii emotsional'nykh sostoyanii [Socio-psychological determinants of the success of coding and interpreting the expression of emotional states].Litso cheloveka kak sredstvo obshcheniya: Mezhdistsiplinarnyi podkhod [The human face as a means of communication: An interdisciplinary approach]. In V.A. Barabanshchikov, A.A. Demidov, D.A. Diveev (Ed.). М.: Kogito-Tsentr, 2012. Pp. 311—327. (In Russ.).
- Labunskaya V.A., Drozdova I.I. Teoretiko-empiricheskiy analiz vliyaniya sotsialnopsikhologicheskih faktorov na otsenki, samootsenki molodymi lyudmi vneshnego oblika [Theoretical and empirical analysis of the impact of social and psychological factors on the assessment, self-assessment of young people's appearance]. Rossiyskiy psikhologicheskiy zhurnal = Russian psychological journal, 2017. Vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 202—226. DOI:10.21702/rpj.2017.2.1214(In Russ.).
- Litso cheloveka v nauke, iskusstve i praktike [The human face in science, art and practice]/K.I. Anan'eva, V.A. Barabanshchikov, A.A. Demidov (Ed.). М.: Kogito-Tsentr, 2014. – 694 p.(In Russ.).
- Litso cheloveka v prostranstve obshcheniya [A person's face in the communication space]/K.I. Anan'eva, V.A. Barabanshchikov, A.A. Demidov (Ed.). М.: Moscow Institute of Psychoanalysis, Kogito-Tsentr,2016. 430 p. (In Russ.).
- Litso cheloveka v kontekstakh prirody, tekhnologii i kul'tury [The human face in the context of nature, technology and culture] / K.I. Anan'eva, V.A. Barabanshchikov, A.A. Demidov (Ed.). М.: Moscow Institute of Psychoanalysis, Kogito-Tsentr, 2020. 579 p. (In Russ.).
- Samoilenko E.S., Anan'eva K.I., Demidov A.A., Diveev D.A. Dinamika sub"ektivnykh otsenok lichnostnykh kharakteristik cheloveka v razlichnykh pertseptivnykh situatsiyakh [Dynamics of subjective assessments of personal characteristics of a person in various perceptual situations]Rossiyskiy psikhologicheskiy zhurnal = Russian psychological journal, 2022. Vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 35—49. DOI:10.21702/rpj.2022.2.3 (In Russ.).
- Shkurko T.A., Nikolaeva Ye.G. Komponenty vneshnego oblika v strukture vospriyatiya vizualnykh prezentatsiy vozrasta [Components of appearance in the structure of perception of visual presentations of age]. Sotsialnaya psikhologiya i obshchestvo=Social psychology and society, 2015. Vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 78—90. DOI:10.17759/sps.201506040623 (In Russ.).
- Shkurko T.A. Fotovideoprezentatsii vneshnego oblika kak metod izucheniya vosprinimaemogo vozrasta cheloveka ["Photo-video presentation of appearance" as a method of a person’s perceived age studying]. Sotsial'naia psikhologiia i obshchestvo = Social Psychology and Society, 2018. Vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 104—117. DOI:10.17759/sps.2018090311.21 (In Russ.).
- Shkurko T.A., Labunskaya V.A. Pochemu my vyglyadim molozhe ili starshe svoikh let: poisk psikhologicheskikh determinant [Why we look younger or older than our years: the search for psychological determinants].Izvestiya Saratovskogo universiteta. Novaya seriya. Seriya Filosofiya. Psikhologiya. Pedagogika=News of Saratov University. A new series. Philosophy series. Psychology. Pedagogy, 2018. Vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 450—457. DOI:10.18500/1819-7671-2018-18-4-450-456 (In Russ.).
- Bains R.D., Thorpe H., Southern S. Hand aging: Patients' opinions. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2006. Vol. 117, no. 7, pp. 2212—2218. DOI:10.1097/01.prs.0000218712.66333.97
- Bulpitt C.J., Markowe H.L.J., Shipley M.J. Why do some people look older than they should? Postgraduate Medical Journal, 2001. Vol. 77, no. 911, pp. 578—581. DOI:10.1136/pmj.77.911.578
- Forte A.J., Andrew T.W., Colasante C., Persing J.A. Perception of Age, Attractiveness, and Tiredness After Isolated and Combined Facial Subunit Aging. Aesthetic Plast Surg., 2015. Vol. 39(6), pp. 856—869. DOI:10.1007/s00266-015-0553-1
- Ganel T. Smiling makes you look older.Psychonomic Bulletin and Review, 2015. Vol. 22, Iss.6, pp. 1671—1677. DOI:10.3758/s13423-015-0822-7
- George P.A., Hole G.J. Factors influencing the accuracy of age estimates of unfamiliar faces.Perception, 1995. Vol. 24, Iss. 9, pp. 1059—1073.
- Kurosumi M., Mizukoshi K., Hongo M., Kamachi M.G. Does age-dynamic movement accelerate facial age impression? Perception of age from facial movement: Studies of Japanese women. PLoSONE, 2021. Vol. 16, Iss. 8, Article e0255570. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0255570
- Kwart D.G., Foulsham T., Kingstone A. Age and beauty are in the eye of the beholder. Perception, 2012. Vol. 41, pp. 925—938. DOI:10.1068/p7136
- Lindell A.K., Cianchetta R.O., Azim S.M., Freeman C.G., de Oliveira N.C., Saban S., Messina J.L., Wilson K.E., Egan A., Caspar M.D, Grey E.J., McDonald B.A., Croxford K.N., Bui T.T., Aiello A.A., Heywood-Smith V.M., Kidd A.J., Stanley S.C., Wakeling A., Hoggan S.A.L., Morriss A.S., Trinh T.P.M., Thai-Nguyen H., Fonte M., Agolli F. Hemifacial asymmetries in age perception: the left cheek looks older for females, but not males. Acta Neuropsychologica, 2019. Vol. 17, Iss. 4, pp. 417—426. DOI:10.5604/01.3001.0013.6549
- Mayes A.E., Murray P.G., Gunn D.A., Tomlin C.C., Catt S.D., Wen Y.B., Zhou L.P., Wang H.Q., Catt M., Granger S.P. Ageing appearance in China: Biophysical profile of facial skin and its relationship to perceived age.Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 2010. Vol. 24, Iss. 3, pp. 341—348. DOI:10.1111/j.1468-3083.2009.03418.x
- Merinville E., Grennan G.Z., Gillbro J.M., Mathieu J., Mavon A. Influence of facial skin ageing characteristics on the perceived age in a Russian female population.International Journal of Cosmetic Science, 2015. Vol. 37, pp. 3—8. DOI:10.1111/ics.12252
- Nicksic P.J., Karczewski A.M., Zhao Qianqian, Garcia N.A., Michelotti B.F., Mahajan Ashish Y., Poore S.O. The Contribution of the Lower Third of the Face to Perceived Age: Do Masks Make You Appear Younger? Aesthetic Surgery Journal Open Forum, 2021. Vol. 3, Iss. 3, Article ojab017. DOI:10.1093/asjof/ojab017
- Nielsena B.R., Linnebergb A., Christenseng K., Lyng J., Schwarza F.P. The Influence of Clinical Experienceand Photographic Presentation on AgeAssessment of Women.Gerontology, 2015. Vol. 62, Iss. 2. DOI:10.1159/000438825
- Nkengne A., Bertin C., Stamatas G.N., Giron A., Rossi A., Issachar N., Fertil B. Influence of facial skin attributes on the perceived age of Caucasian women. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 2008. Vol. 22, Iss. 8, pp. 982—991.
- Porcheron A., Mauger E., Russell R. Aspects of Facial Contrast Decrease with Age and Are Cues for Age Perception. PLoS ONE, 2013. Vol. 8, Iss. 3, Article e57985. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0057985
- Russell R., Sweda J. R., Porcheron A., Mauger E. Sclera color changes with age and is a cue for perceiving age, health, and beauty. Psychology and Aging, 2014. Vol. 29, Iss. 3, pp. 626—635.
- Sörqvist P., Eriksson M. Effects of training on age estimation. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 2007. Vol. 21, Iss. 1, pр. 131—135.
- Voelkle M.C., Ebner N.C., Lindenberger U., Riediger M. Let me guess how old you are: Effects of age, gender, and facial expression on perceptions of age. Psychology and Aging, 2012. Vol. 27, Iss. 2, pр. 265—277.
- Wang Z., He X., Liu F. Examining the effect of smile intensity on age perceptions. Psychological Reports, 2015. Vol. 117, Iss.1, pр. 188—205. DOI:10.2466/07.PR0.117c10z7
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 50
Current month: 0
Previous month: 18
Current month: 1