ZBR and ZPD: Is there a difference? 2233
The paper considers some problems of understanding the content of the theoretical notion of zone of proximal development in the English-language literature, related to unavailability of sources and some inaccuracies in translations. It is shown that, as a result of such inaccuracies, the notion of zone of proximal development (ZPD) turns out to be different in terms of its theoretical content from the notion of zona blizhayshego razvitiya (ZBR) (зона ближайшего развития, ЗБР), so that we can say that ZPD is not the same as ZBR. Simplification and fragmentation of basic theoretical ideas lead to some serious consequences, which cause difficulties both in the search for a common understanding and further development of cultural-historical theory, as well as in the practical application of ZBR in educational practices.
I thank the Child and Community Development Faculty Research group for their support and flowersful discussion of this work. I thank Professor M. Dafermakis for his valuable comments. I am especially grateful to an unknown volunteer who collected and presented me more than 200 articles on ZPD published in 2010—2016.
- Vygotskii L.S. Soznanie kak problema psihologii povedenia
[Consciousness as a problem in the psychology of behavior]. In Kornilov K.
(ed.), Psihologia I marksizm [Psihologia I marksizm].
Moscow-Leningrad: Gosizdat, 1925, pp. 158—198.
- Vygotskii L.S. Umstvennoe razvitie detei v protsesse obuchenia
[Mental development of children in a process of learning]. Moscow-Leningrad,
1935. 135 p.
- Vygotskii L.S. Sobranie sochinenii [The Collected Works]: V 6 t. Vol. 2,
Moscow: Pedagogika, 1982. 417 p.
- Vygotskii L.S. Sobranie sochinenii [The Collected Works]: V 6 t. Vol. 3,
Moscow: Pedagogika, 1983. 365 p
- Vygotskii L.S. Sobranie sochinenii [The Collected Works]: V 6 t. Vol. 4,
Moscow: Pedagogika, 1984. 432 p.
- Zaretsky V. Zona blizhaishego razvitiya. O tchem ne uspel napisat
Vygotskii? [Zone of proximal development: what Vygotsky had no time to read
about?]. Kulturno-istoricheskaya psihologiya [ Cultural-historical
psychology], 2007, no. 3, pp. 96—104.
- Blake B., Pope T. Developmental Psychology: Incorporating Piaget’s
and Vygotsky’s Theories in Classrooms. Journal of Cross-Disciplinary
Perspectives in Education, 2008. Vol. 1 (1), pp. 59—67
- Bodrova E., Leong D. J. Scaffolding emergent writing in the zone of
proximal development. Literacy Teaching and Learning, 1998. Vol. 3(2),
- Brown A.L., Campione J.C. Guided discovery in a community of learners.
Classroom lessons: Integrating cognitive theory and classroom practice. McGilly
K. (ed.). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press/Bradford Books, 1994, pp. 229— 270.
- Brown A.L., Campione J.C. Psychological theory and the design of
innovative learning environments: On procedures, principles, and systems. In
Schauble L. (eds.), Innovations in learning: New environments for
education. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 1996, pp. 289—325.
- Chaiklin S. The zone of proximal development in Vygotsky’s analysis of
learning and Instruction. In Kozulin A. (eds.), Vygotsky’s Educational
Theory and Practice in Cultural Context. Cambridge: Cambridge University,
2003, pp. 40—63.
- Fania T., Ghaemib F. Implications of Vygotsky’s Zone of Proximal
Development (ZPD) in Teacher Education: ZPTD and Self-scaffolding. Procedia
— Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2011. Vol. 29, 1549—1554.
- Hobsbaum A., Peters S., Sylva K. Scaffolding in reading recovery.
Oxford Review of Education, 1996. Vol. 22(1), pp.17—35.
- Lambert B., Clyde. M. Re-thinking early childhood theory and practice.
Australia: Social Science Press, 2000. 430 p.
- Lee C., Smagorinsky P. (eds.). Vygotskian perspectives on literacy
research. Cambridge University Press, 2000. 486 p.
- Palinscar A.S. Keeping the metaphor of scaffolding fresh — A response to C.
Addison Stone’s “The metaphor of scaffolding: Its utility for the field of
learning disabilities”. Journal of Learning Disabilities, Vol. 31, pp.
- Smagorinsky P. Vygotsky and literacy research: a methodological
framework. Rotterdam/Boston/Taipei: Sense Publishers, 2011. 420 p.
- Tudge J. Processes and Consequences of Peer Collaboration: A Vygotskian
Analysis. Child Development, 1992. Vol. 63, pp. 136—137.
- Valsine, J., van der Veer R. The encoding of distance: The concept
of the zone of proximal development and its interpretations. In Cocking R.R.
(eds.), Development and meaning of psychological distance. Lawrence
Erlbaum Associates Publishers, 1993, pp. 35—62.
- Veresov N. Forgotten methodology: Vygotsky’s case . Methodological thinking
in psychology: 60 years gone astray? Toomela A. (eds.). IAP, United States,
2010, pp. 267—295
- Vygotsky L.S. Mind in society: The development of higher psychological
processes. Cole M. (). Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard
University Press, 1978. 159 p.
- Vygotsky L.S. The dynamics of the schoolchild’s mental development in
relation to teaching and learning. Journal of cognitive education and
psychology, 2011. Vol. 10 (2), pp. 198—211.
- Vygotsky L.S. The collected works. Vol. 1. New York: Plenum Press, 1987.
- Vygotsky L.S. Consciousness as a problem in the psychology of behavior.
Soviet psychology, 1997a. Vol. 17 (4), pp. 3—35.
- Vygotsky L.S. The collected works. Vol. 3. New York: Plenum Press, 1997б.
- Vygotsky L.S. The Collected Works. Vol. 5. New York: Plenum Press, 1998.
- Wells G. Dialogic inquiry: Towards a sociocultural practice and theory of
education. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1999. 389 p.