Research on the Attitudes of Parents of Children with Autism to Preschool Education
Objectives. The preschool age has its crucial importance in the upbringing and education of children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD). The plasticity of psychological organization at this age makes the psycho-educational work the most effective. The aim of presented work is the analysis of characteristics of parents’ attitude of children with autism to preschool education with the follow-up identification of factors that influence this attitude of parents to preschool education and determination of the trajectories for optimizing this attitude in order to increase the effectiveness of accompanying children with ASD in the preschool period.
Methods. A survey of 629 parents or legal representatives of individuals with autism from 43 regions of Russia and the Republic of Belarus was conducted. The age of the respondents’ children varies from 3 to 38 years.
Results. Reported that 86.6% of the children attended preschool educational organizations; 12.3% — did not attended; 0.6% preferred not to answer this type of questions. In the period from the second half of the 1980s to 2022, the percentage of children attending preschools increased from 7.8% to 97.0%. However, regardless of age, at least a quarter of families (24—28%) asked for help in other institutions or appealed to the private specialists, which directly indicates dissatisfaction with the support provided by the preschool educational system. Respondents whose children attended preschools mark the general preschool education effects at 3.2+0.1 on a five-point scale. In comparison, all families who assessed preschool have a significantly lower result (P<0.01) — 2.8+0.1. The respondents noted the insufficient level of qualifications of the staff of the preschool educational institution and problems of organizational and methodological support.
Conclusions. Despite the subjective character of the survey, the assessments and comments of parents reflect the real problems of preschool education of children with ASD. In order to develop cooperation between representatives of the preschool system and families raising children with autism, two equivalent areas of work are proposed: raising awareness of parents about autism and the basic supports of children with autism and improving the skills of specialists working with such children.
Keywords: autism; autism spectrum disorder; early childhood education; parents of children with ASD; cooperation of parents and professionals
Journal rubric: Research of ASD
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The work was carried out within the framework of the state assignment on topic No. 11.18 of the National Research Institute for 2021 and 2022 of the Federal Institute for the Development of Education of the Russian Academy of National Economy and Public Administration under the President of the Russian Federation
For citation: Morozova S.S., Tarasova N.V., Chigrina S.G. Research on the Attitudes of Parents of Children with Autism to Preschool Education. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2023. Vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 7–14. DOI: 10.17759/autdd.2023210202. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Morozov S.A. On the efficiency criteria of work practices with ASD people. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2017, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 10—15. DOI:10.17759/autdd.2017150402
- Morozov S.A., Morozova S.S., Morozova T.I. The Study of Parent Attitude to the Developmental Features of Children with Autism. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2021, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 32— 39. DOI:10.17759/autdd.2021190404
- Morozov S.A., Chigrina S.G. Research of Characteristics of Families Raising Children with ASD. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2022, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 78—84. DOI:10.17759/ autdd.2022200209
- Morozov S.A., Morozova S.S., Tarasova N.V. et al. Research on Relationships within a Family Having a Child with Autism, and Family Relations with the Social Environment. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2023, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 86—93. DOI:10.17759/autdd.2023210110
- Morozova S.S., Tarasova N.V. Study of the Child Autism’s Impact on a Family Budget. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2022, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 39—45. DOI:10.17759/ autdd.2022200304
- Ob utverzhdenii federal’nogo gosudarstvennogo obrazovatel’nogo standarta doshkol’nogo obrazovaniya: Prikaz ot 17 oktyabrya 2013 g. № 1155 [On the approval of the Federal State Educational Standard for preschool education: Order no. 1155 from October 17, 2013] [Web resource] / Ministry of education and science of Russian Federation. 2013. URL: https://docs.edu.gov.ru/document/a72db92c851c9f9c33d52d482420b477/ (Accessed 28.06.2023).
- Ob utverzhdenii Federal’noi adaptirovannoi obrazovatel’noi programmy doshkol’nogo obrazovaniya dlya obuchayushchikhsya s ogranichennymi vozmozhnostyami zdorov’ya: Prikaz ot 24.11.2022 № 1022 [On the approval of the Federal adapted educational program for preschool education for students with disabilities: Order no. 1022 from November 24, 2022] [Web resource] / Ministry of education of Russian Federation. 2022. URL: http://publication. pravo.gov.ru/Document/View/0001202301270036 (Accessed 28.06.2023).
- Khaustov A.V. (ed.) Organizatsiya raboty s roditelyami detei s rasstroistvami autisticheskogo spektra: Metodicheskie rekomendatsii [Organizing work with parents of autistic children: Guidelines]. Moscow: Publ. Federal Resource Center of the Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, 2017. 94 p. ISBN 978-5-94051-164-9.
- Peeters T., De Klerk Kh., Morozova S.S. Sotrudnichestvo mezhdu roditelyami i spetsialistami [Collaboration between parents and specialists]. In Morozov S.A. (ed.) Organizatsiya psikhologo-pedagogicheskoi i mediko-sotsial’noi pomoshchi litsam s rasstroistvami autisticheskogo spektra: Materialy mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii (Moskva, 1—3 oktyabrya 2009 g.) [Organizing psychological, pedagogic, medical and social support for people with ASD: Proceedings of the international scientific and practical conference (Moscow, October 1—3, 2009)]. Moscow, 2009. Pp. 74—103.
- Federal’nyi zakon “Ob obrazovanii v Rossiiskoi Federatsii” ot 29.12.2012 № 273 (poslednyaya redaktsiya) [Federal law “On education in Russian Federation” no. 273 from December 29, 2012] [Web resource] // ConsultantPlus. URL: https://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_140174/ (Accessed 28.06.2023).
- Fernell E., Wilson P., Hadjikhani et al. Screening, Intervention and Outcome in Autism and Other Developmental Disorders: The Role of Randomized Controlled Trials. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2014, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 2074—2076. DOI:10.1007/s10803-014-2070-5
- Peterson-Bloome L., Bölte S. “Now We All Share the Same Knowledge Base” — Evaluating Professional Development Targeting Preschool Staff’s Understanding of Autism and Inclusion Skills. Frontiers in Education, 2022, vol. 7, article no.846960. 16 p. DOI:10.3389/feduc.2022.846960
- Rankin J.A., Tomeny T.S. Screening of Broader Autism Phenotype Symptoms in Siblings: Support for a Distinct Model of Symptomatology. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2019, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 4686—4690. DOI:10.1007/ s10803-019-04157-z
- Scheeren A.M., Stauder J.A.E. Broader Autism Phenotype in Parents of Autistic Children: Reality or Myth? Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2008, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 276—287. DOI:10.1007/s10803-007- 0389-x
- Schopler E. Principles for Directing Both Educational Treatment and Research. In Gillberg C. (ed.) Diagnosis and Treatment of Autism. New York: Publ. Plenum Press, 1989. Pp. 167—183. ISBN 978-0-306-43481-5.
- Taylor L.J., Luk S.Y.L., Leadbitter K. et al. Are child autism symptoms, developmental level and adaptive function associated with caregiver feelings of wellbeing and efficacy in the parenting role? Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 2021, vol. 83, article no. 101738. 11 p. DOI:10.1016/j.rasd.2021.101738
- Wallace-Watkin C., Whitehouse A.J.O., Waddington H. Early Intervention Delivery Methods for New Zealand Children with Autism: Current Practices Versus Parental Preferences. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2021, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 3199—3211. DOI:10.1007/s10803-020-04777-w
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 32
Current month: 3
Previous month: 14
Current month: 1