The Adolescent at the Center of Activity Systems in the Context of COVID-19: Redefining Routines and Relationships at the Heart of Learning
Keywords: adolescents, boundary crossing, cultural historical activity theory, school, family, tensions
Journal rubric: Educational Psychology
Acknowledgements. The research was done in context of the Centre of Research and Intervention for Student and School Success (CRI_SAS/CRIRES) Laval University.
For citation: Barma S., Deslandes R., Ste-Marie N. The Adolescent at the Center of Activity Systems in the Context of COVID-19: Redefining Routines and Relationships at the Heart of Learning. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2021. Vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 133–143. DOI: 10.17759/chp.2021170213.
- Anderson, A.R., Christenson, S.L., Sinclair, M.F., & Lehr, C.A. (2004). Check & Connect: The importance of relationships for promoting engagement with school. Journal of School Psychology, 42, 95—113.
- Barma, S., Laferrière, T., Lemieux, B., Massé- Morneau, J., & Vincent, M. C. (2017). Early stages in building hybrid activity between school and work: the case of PénArt. Journal of Education and Work, 30(6), 669—687.
- Bartlett, J. et al. (2001). Organizational research: Determining appropriate sample size in survey research. Retrieved on July 3, 2020 from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.486.8295&rep=rep1& type=pdf.
- Barton, A.W., Brody, G.H., Yu, T., Kogan, S.M., Chen, E., & Ehrlich, K.B. (2019). The profundity of the everyday: Family routines in adolescence predict development in young adulthood. Journal of Adolescent Health, 64, 340— 346.
- Boudreau, E. (2020). Supporting teenagers in a pandemic. Usable knowledge. Relevant research for today’s educators. https://www.gse.harvard.edu
- CEFRIO (2019). The digital family. NETendances 2019. https://cdn-contenu.quebec.ca/cdn-contenu/adm/ min/education/publications-adm/SCF/netendances_2019_ fascicule_famille_numerique.pdf?1592330158
- Choudhury, S., Blakemore, S.J., & Charman, T. (2006). Social cognitive development during adolescence. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 1, 165—174.
- Comer, J.S., Fan, B., Duarte, C.S., Wu, P., Musa, G.J., Mandell, D.J.,…Hoven, C.W. (2010). Attack-related life disruption and child psychopathology in New York city public schoolchildren 6-months post-9/11. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 39(4), 460—469.
- Davis, K.S. & Dupper, D.R. (2004). Student-Teacher relationships. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 9(1—2), 179—193.
- Deslandes, R. (1996). School-Family Collaboration: The Influence of Parenting Style and Parental Involvement on High School Success. (Doctoral thesis). Laval University, Canada.
- Deslandes, R. (2020). School-Family-Community Collaborations. Retrospective on what has been done and what has been learned. Volume 1. School-Family Relations. URL: https://f1dfdbec-27a5-47d5-b7a8-627874ff492f. filesusr.com/ugd/791c53_55c4b2bc495541b79069dba6a9fa 7e03.pdf
- Doré-Côté, A. (2007). Relationship between the teacher’s interpersonal communication style, the caring relationship, the student’s commitment and the risk of dropping out of school in Secondary 3 students. Doctoral thesis. Quebec University at Trois-Rivières, Canada.
- Engeström, Y. (2015). Learning by expanding: An activity-theoretical approach to developmental research (2nd ed.). Cambridge, Royaume-Uni: Cambridge University Press.
- Engeström, Y. & Sannino, A. (2013). Volition and transformative agency: theoretical perspective on activity. Revue internationale du CRIRES: Innover dans la tradition de Vygostsky, p. 8.
- Hawryluck, L., Gold, W.L., Robinson, S., Pogorski, S., Galea, S. & Styra, R. (2004). SARS control and psychological effects of quarantine, Toronto, Canada. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 10(7), 1206—1212.
- Liang, X. (2011). An analysis of the nature of classroom activities: A comparative study of an immersion English class and a non-immersion English class in the mainland of China. Frontiers of Education in China, 6(2), 310—330.
- Meeus, W. (2016). Adolescent psychosocial development: A review of longitudinal models and research. Developmental Psychology, 52(12), 1969—1993.
- Quebec Health Survey of High School Students 2016— 2017, Tome 2 and 3. https://www.qhshss.stat.gouv.qc.ca/
- Roorda, D.L., Jorgensen, T.D., & Koomen, H.M.Y. (2019). Different teachers, different relationships? Student- teacher relationships and engagement in secondary education. Learning and Individual Differences, 75, 1—12.
- Scales, P.C., Pekel, K., Sethi, J., Chamberlain, R. & Van Boekel, M. (2020). Academic year changes in student-teacher developmental relationships and their linkage to middle and high school students’ motivation: A mixed-methods study. Journal of Early Adolescence, 40(4), 499—536.
- Sprang, G., & Silman, M. (2013). Posttraumatic stress disorder in parents and youth after health-related disasters. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, 7(1), 105— 110.
- Stark, E. (2019). Examining the role of motivation and learning strategies in student success in online versus face-to- face courses. Online Learning, 23(3), 234—251.
- Steinberg, L. (2014). Age of opportunity: Lessons from the new science of adolescence. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Tang, W., Lu, Y., & Xu, J. (2018). Post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression symptoms among adolescent earthquake victims: comorbidity and associated sleep-disturbing factors. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 53, 1241—1251.
- Tobbell, J., & O’Donnell, V.L. (2013). The formation of interpersonal and learning relationships in the transition from primary to secondary school: Students, teachers and school context. International Journal of Educational Research, 59, 11—23.
- Turley, C., & Graham, C. (2019). Interaction, student satisfaction, and teacher time investment in online high school courses. Journal of Online Learning Research, 5(2), 169—198.
- Yu, M.V.B., Johnson, H.E., Deutsch, N.L. & Varga, S.M. (2018). “She calls me by my last name”: Exploring adolescent perceptions of positive teacher-student relationships. Journal of Adolescent Research, 33(3), 332—362.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 3
Current month: 4
Previous month: 1
Current month: 1