Ethnic Representations of Tuvans about Themselves and Others: The Factor of Location
The article presents the results of a study of the ideas of Tuvans about the individual psychological characteristics of representatives of the Tuvan and Russian ethnic groups. The subjects of the study were Tuvinians living in the largest city of the Republic of Tyva — Kyzyl (n=72) and in a remote, southwestern region of the Republic of Tyva — Mongun-Taiginsky district (n=69). As part of the study, the author's methodology "Cards" was used, which allows for the assessment and self-assessment of individual psychological characteristics in a concise and understandable format for respondents. The analysis of the data was carried out taking into account three age cohorts of the subjects — the younger, middle and older age groups. Differences were recorded in the content of the representations of Tuvans of different age groups in relation to representatives of the Russian and Tuvan ethnic groups. The age factor had a more significant impact to ethnic representations than the place of residence and life.
Keywords: Tuvans, representations, auto- and heterostereotypes, individual psychological characteristics, city, village
Journal rubric: Social Psychology
Article type: scientific article
Funding. This work was supported by Russian Science Foundation (project No 21-18-00597). See details: https://rscf.ru/project/21-18-00597/.
For citation: Demidov A.A., Ananyeva K.I., Samba A.D.-B. Ethnic Representations of Tuvans about Themselves and Others: The Factor of Location. Eksperimental'naâ psihologiâ = Experimental Psychology (Russia), 2023. Vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 139–156. DOI: 10.17759/exppsy.2023160209. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Rating of countries in the world by level of urbanization / Humanitarian portal: Research [Electronic resource]. Center for Humanitarian Technologies, 2006–2022. (Last revision: 11/18/2022). URL: https://gtmarket.ru/ratings/urbanization-index. (In Russ.).
- Gavrilyachenko E.V. Transformation of the living space of a modern Russian city: diss. ... cand. sociological sciences: 22.00.06. Rostov-on-Don, 2008. 181 p. (In Russ.).
- Drobysheva T.V., Zhuravlev A.L. City as an object of research in social psychology: on the history of the issue. Institute of Psychology of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Social and Economic Psychology, 2016. Vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 196—216. (In Russ.).
- The level of urbanization by regions of Russia in 2022. Interactive map "The share of the urban population in Russia". 2022. URL: https://xn--80apggvco.xn--p1ai/%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D1%8B?id=208. (In Russ.).
- Anan'eva K.I., Basyul I.A., Vyskochil N.A., Demidov A.A., Shlyapnikov V.N. Man and ethnicity. Perception, assessment, self-regulation. M.: Moscow Institute of Psychoanalysis, 2020. 377 p. (In Russ.).
- Demidov A.A., Anan'eva K.I., Samba A.D.-B. The concept of oneself and others in a transitive society: an intergenerational analysis. Experimental Psychology, 2022. Vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 123—138. DOI:10.17759/exppsy.2022150408 (In Russ.).
- Kuzhuget A.K. Spiritual culture of Tuvans. Structure and transformation. Kemerovo: KemGUKI, 2006. 319 p. (In Russ.).
- Lamazhaa Ch.K. National character of Tuvans. M.; St. Petersburg: Nestor-Istoriya, 2018. 240 p. (In Russ.).
- Nartova-Bochaver S.K., Bochaver A.A., Dmitrieva N.S., Reznichenko S.I. Home as a human living environment: a psychological study / Ed.: S.K. Nartova-Bochaver. Moscow: Monuments of historical thought, 2016. (In Russ.).
- Tinikova E.E. Features of ethnicity and interethnic relations in the urban and rural environment of Khakassia. Monitoring Public Opinion: Economic and Social Changes, 2020. No. 4, pp. 533—548. DOI:10.14515/monitoring.2020.4.735 (In Russ.).
- Tovuu N.O. The psychological appearance of the Tuvan people. Kyzyl: TyvGU Publishing House, 2009. 230 p. (In Russ.).
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 22
Current month: 2
Previous month: 5
Current month: 1