Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology
2020. Vol. 9, no. 1, 22–28
ISSN: 2304-4977 (online)
Psychology of road stress and aggressive behavior according to modern foreign studies
Keywords: road stress, road rage, psycho-emotional state of the driver, aggressive driving, road aggression, dangerous driving, driving, road safety.
Journal rubric: Social Psychology
Article type: review article
For citation: Petrov V.E., Kokurin A.V., Nazarova A.Y. Psychology of road stress and aggressive behavior according to modern foreign studies [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sovremennaia zarubezhnaia psikhologiia = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2020. Vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 22–28. DOI: 10.17759/jmfp.2020090102. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Berdoulat E., Vavassori D., Muñoz-Sastre M.T. Driving anger, emotional and instrumental aggressiveness, and impulsiveness in the prediction of aggressive and transgressive driving. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2013. Vol. 50, pp. 758–767. DOI:10.1016/j.aap.2012.06.029
- Blomquist R.F. American «Road Rage»: A Scary and Tangled Cultural-Legal Pastiche [Elektronnyi resurs]. Nebraska Law Review, 2001. Vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 17–63. URL: https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/nlr/vol80/iss1/3/ (Accessed 30.01.2020).
- Brewer A.M. Road rage: What, who, when, where and how? Transport Reviews, 2000. Vol. 20, pp. 49–64. DOI:10.1080/014416400295338
- Alonso F. et al. Conceptualization of aggressive driving behaviors through a Perception of aggressive driving scale (PAD). Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 2019. Vol. 60, pp. 415–426. DOI:10.1016/j.trf.2018.10.032
- Crimmins J., Callahan Ch. Reducing Road Rage: The Role of Target Insight in Advertising for Social Change. Journal of Advertising Research, 2003. Vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 381–389. DOI:10.1017/S002184990303040X
- Dahlen E.R., White R.P. The Big Five factors, sensation seeking, and driving anger in the prediction of unsafe driving. Personality and Individual Differences, 2006. Vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 903–915. DOI:10.1016/j.paid.2006.03.016
- Dittmann M. Anger on the road [Elektronnyi resurs]. Monitor on Psychology, 2005. Vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 26. URL: http://www.apa.org/monitor/jun05/anger (Accessed 30.01.2020).
- Dula C.S., Ballard M.E. Development and evaluation of a measure of dangerous, aggressive, negative emotional, and risky driving. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 2003. Vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 263–282. DOI:10.1111/j.1559-1816.2003.tb01896.x
- Dula C.S., Geller E.S. Risky, aggressive, or emotional driving: addressing the need for consistent communication in research. Journal of Safety Research, 2003. Vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 559–566. DOI:10.1016/j.jsr.2003.03.004
- Dukes R.L. et al. Effects of aggressive driving and driver characteristics on road rage. The Social Science Journal, 2001. Vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 323–331. DOI:10.1016/S0362-3319(01)00117-3
- Weina Q. et al. Expressing Anger Is More Dangerous than Feeling Angry when Driving. PLoS One, 2016. Vol. 11, no. 6. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0156948
- Fakhry S.M., Salaita K. Aggressive driving: a preliminary analysis of a serious threat to motorists in a large metropolitan area [Elektronnyi resurs]. The Journal of Trauma, 2002. Vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 217–223. URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11834978 (Accessed 30.01.2020).
- Kaiser S., Furian G., Schlembach Ch. Aggressive Behaviour in Road Traffic – Findings from Austria. Transportation Research Procedia, 2016. Vol. 14, pp. 4384–4392. DOI:10.1016/j.trpro.2016.05.360
- Lupton D. Road rage: drivers' understandings and experiences. Journal of Sociology, 2002. Vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 275–290. DOI:10.1177/144078302128756660
- Philippe F.L. et al. Passion for Driving and Aggressive Driving Behavior: A Look at Their Relationship. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 2009. Vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 3020–3043. DOI:10.1111/j.1559-1816.2009.00559.x
- Smart R.G. et al. Road Rage Experience and Behavior: Vehicle, Exposure, and Driver Factors. Traffic Injury Prevention, 2004. Vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 343–348. DOI:10.1080/15389580490509482
- Mina Sh. et al. Road Rage: Prevalence Pattern and Web Based Survey Feasibility. Psychiatry Journal, 2014. Vol. 2014, Article ID 897493. 7 p. DOI:10.1155/2014/897493
- Sansone R.A., Sansone L.A. Road Rage: What’s Driving It? [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psychiatry (Edgmont), 2010. Vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 14–18. URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2922361/ (Accessed 30.01.2020).
- Shamoa-Nir L., Koslowsky M. Aggression on the Road as a Function of Stress, Coping Strategies and Driver Style. Psychology, 2010. Vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 35–44. DOI:10.4236/psych.2010.11006
- Stephens A.N., Sullman M.J.M. Development of a short form of the driving anger expression inventory. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2014. Vol. 72, pp. 169–176. DOI:10.1016/j.aap.2014.06.021
- Sullman M.J.M. The expression of anger on the road. Safety Science, 2015. Vol. 72, pp. 153–159. DOI:10.1016/j.ssci.2014.08.013
- Sullman M.J.M., Paxion J., Stephens A.N. Gender roles, sex and the expression of driving anger. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2017. Vol. 106, pp. 23–30. DOI:10.1016/j.aap.2017.05.016
- Taylor A.H., Dorn L. Stress, Fatigue, Health, and Risk of Road Traffic Accidents Among Professional Drivers: The Contribution of Physical Inactivity. Annual Review of Public Health, 2006. Vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 371–391. DOI:10.1146/annurev.publhealth.27.021405.102117
- Parsons R. et al. The View from the Road: Implications for Stress Recovery and Immunization [Elektronnyi resurs]. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 1998. Vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 113–139. URL: https://hortsciences.tamu.edu/syllabi/435/Articles/parsons.pdf (Accessed 30.01.2020).
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 22
Current month: 0
Previous month: 6
Current month: 0