The Possibilities of Using Video in the Educational Process from the Point of View of Teachers and Adolescents
The work is aimed at studying the possibilities of using videos in the educational process. The materials of two empirical studies obtained on a sample of teachers and students in grades 5-11 are presented. Study 1 (N=178) included respondents aged 10 to 18, of whom 54,5% were female; in study 2 (N=35) – aged 21 to 70 years, of which 88,6% were female. Both studies were carried out using the author's questionnaire "Possibilities of video at school" in two modifications – for teachers and schoolchildren in grades 5-11. The results of the answers of teachers and schoolchildren to questions about the frequency and ways of using video in a modern school and after 5 years are compared. The results show a significant excess of the activity of schoolchildren in the use of video in comparison with teachers and reflect the tendency for high school students to use the communicative and reflective capabilities of video. The prospects for using the reflexive analysis of video clips in the process of jointly distributed activities of adolescents to update the zone of proximal development are shown. It is concluded that it is possible to study the influence of the inclusion of video fragments of interaction on the development of communicative and reflexive abilities of adolescents in the process of joint solution of experimental research problems.
Keywords: jointly distributed activity, use of video in school, communicative-reflexive processes
Journal rubric: Psychology of Education
Article type: scientific article
Acknowledgements. The author is grateful for the help in collecting data for the study of the supervisor V.V. Rubtsov and a specialist in educational and methodological work of the UNESCO Chair "Cultural and Historical Psychology of Childhood" MSUPE A.O. Starshinova
For citation: Konstantinova O.B. The Possibilities of Using Video in the Educational Process from the Point of View of Teachers and Adolescents [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psychological-Educational Studies, 2023. Vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 106–130. DOI: 10.17759/psyedu.2023150207. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Ageev N.YA., Tokarchuk Y.A., Tokarchuk A.M., Gavrilova E.V. Svjaz' cifrovyh tehnologij s razvitiem kognitivnyh i kommunikativnyh processov podrostkov i junoshej: obzor jempiricheskih issledovanij [The Interaction of Digital Technologies with the Development of Cognitive and Communication Processes of Adolescents and Young Adults: a Review of Empirical Research]. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya = Psychological-Educational Studies, 2023. Vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 37–55. DOI:10.17759/psyedu.2023150103 (In Russ.).
- Bysik N.V., Kosaretskii S.G., Pinskaya M.A. Proektirovanie modeli professional'nogo razvitiya pedagogov shkol, funktsioniruyushchikh v neblagopriyatnykh sotsial'nykh usloviyakh [Designing a model of professional development of teachers of schools operating in unfavorable social conditions]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2018. Vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 87–101. DOI:10.17759/pse.2018230509 (In Russ.).
- Vygotskii L.S. Pedagogicheskaya psikhologiya [Educational psychology]. Moscow: Pedagogika – Press, 1996. 534 p.
- Vygotskii L.S. Sobranie sochinenii: v 6 t. T. 3. Problemy razvitiya psikhiki [Collected Works: in 6 vol. Vol. 3. Problems of development of the mind]. Moscow: Pedagogika, 1983. 368 p.
- Konstantinova O.B. Ispol'zovanie videosyuzhetov vzaimodeistviya v khode sovmestnogo resheniya podrostkami eksperimental'no issledovatel'skikh zadach [The use of video clips in the course of joint solutions by adolescents of experimental and research tasks]. Materialy mezhdunarodnogo kongressa po kul'turno-istoricheskoi psikhologii, posvyashchennogo pamyati Zh.M. Glozman «L.S. Vygotskii i A.R. Luriya: kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya i voprosy tsifrovizatsii v sotsial'nykh praktikakh» (g. Novosibirsk, 15–17 noyabrya 2022 g.) [Materials of the International Congress on Cultural and Historical Psychology dedicated to the memory of J.M. Glozman "L.S. Vygotsky and A.R. Luria: cultural and historical psychology and issues of digitalization in social practices"]. Novosibirsk: Publ. NGPU, 2022, pp. 145–
- Margolis A.A. Modeli podgotovki pedagogov v ramkakh programm prikladnogo bakalavriata i pedagogicheskoi magistratury [Models of teacher training in the framework of applied Bachelor's and pedagogical Master's degree programs]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2015. Vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 45–64. DOI:10.17759/pse.2015200505 (In Russ.).
- Mikhailova A.M., Pinskaya M.A. Praktiki, menyayushchie predstavleniya uchitelei: IKT na urokakh, formiruyushchikh kriticheskoe i kreativnoe myshlenie [Practices That Change Teachers’ Beliefs: Use of ICT for the Development of Critical and Creative Thinking at School]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, Vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 36–45. DOI:10.17759/pse.2022270603 (In Russ.).
- Razvitie kommunikativno-refleksivnykh sposobnostei u detei 6–10 let v zavisimosti ot sposobov organizatsii uchebnykh vzaimodeistvii [Development of communicative and reflexive abilities in children aged 6-10 years, depending on the ways of organizing educational interactions]. In Rubtsov V.V. (ed.). Kollektivnaya monografiya [Сollective monograph]. Moscow: FGBOU VO MGPPU, 2023. 203 p.
- Rubtsov V.V. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya nauchnaya shkola: problemy, kotorye postavil L.S. Vygotskii [Cultural-Historical Scientific School: the Issues that L.S. Vygotsky Brought up]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-historical psychology, Vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 4–14. DOI:10.17759/chp.2016120301 (In Russ.).
- Rubtsov V.V. Osnovy sotsial'no-geneticheskoi psikhologii: Izbrannye psikhologicheskie trudy [Fundamentals of Socio-genetic psychology: Selected psychological works]. Moscow: Publ “Institut prakticheskoi psikhologii”, Voronezh: NPO “MODEK”, 1996. 384 p.
- Rubtsov V.V. Sotsial'no-geneticheskaya psikhologiya razvivayushchego obrazovaniya: deyatel'nostnyi podkhod [Socio-genetic psychology of developing education: an activity approach]. Moscow: MGPPU, 2008. 416 p.
- Rubtsova O.V. Tsifrovye tekhnologii kak novoe sredstvo oposredovaniya (chast' pervaya) [Digital technologies as a new means of mediation (part one)]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-historical psychology, 2019. Vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 117–124. DOI:10.17759/chp.2019150312 (In Russ.).
- Rubtsova O.V., Poskakalova T.A., Shiryaeva E.I. Osobennosti povedeniya v virtual'noi srede podrostkov s raznym urovnem sformirovannosti “obraza Ya” [Features of behavior in the virtual environment of adolescents with different levels of formation of the "image of I"]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2021. Vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 20–33. DOI:10.17759/pse.2021260402 (In Russ.).
- Sovmestnaya uchebnaya deyatel'nost' i razvitie detei [Joint educational activities and children's development]. In Rubtsov V.V., Ulanovskaya I.M. (eds.). Kollektivnaya monografiya [Сollective monograph]. Moscow: FGBOU VO MGPPU, 2021. 352 (In Russ.).
- Stepanov S.Yu., Ryabova I.V., Gavrilova E.V. Vliyanie tsifrovoi sredy i dopolnitel'nogo obrazovaniya na intellektual'nye i kreativnye sposobnosti shkol'nikov [The influence of the digital environment and additional education on the intellectual and creative abilities of schoolchildren]. Voprosy psikhologii = Questions of psychology, 2021, no. 1, pp. 61–70. (In Russ.).
- Universal'nye kompetentnosti i novaya gramotnost': ot lozungov k real'nosti [Universal competencies and new literacy: from slogans to reality]. In M.S. Dobryakovoĭ, I.D. Frumina (eds.), with the participation of K.A. Barannikova, N. Ziila, Dzh. Moss, I.M. Remorenko, Ya. Khautamyaki. Nats. issled. un-t «Vysshaya shkola ekonomiki». Moscow: Izd. dom Vyssheĭ shkoly ekonomiki, 2020. 472 p. (In Russ.).
- Uvarov A.Yu., Vikhrev V.V., Vodop'yan G.M., Dvoretskaya I.V., Kochak E., Levin I. Shkoly v razvivayushcheisya tsifrovoi srede: tsifrovoe obnovlenie i ego zrelost' [Schools in an evolving digital environment: Digital renewal and its maturity.]. Informatika i obrazovanie = Informatics and education, Vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 5–28. DOI:10.32517/0234-0453-2021-36-7-5-28 (In Russ.).
- Egarr R., Storey C. Model Teachers or Model Students? A Comparison of Video Modelling Interventions for Improving Reading Fluency and Comprehension in Children with Autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2022. Vol. 52, pp. 3366–3382. DOI:10.1007/s10803-021-05217-z
- Drill R.B., Bellini S. Combining Readers Theater, Story Mapping and Video Self-Modeling Interventions to Improve Narrative Reading Comprehension in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Jan 2022. Vol. 52(1), pp. 1–15. DOI:10.1007/s10803-021-04908-x
- Johannesson P. Development of professional learning communities through action research: understanding professional learning in practice. Educational Action Research, 2022. Vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 411– DOI:10.1080/09650792.2020.1854100
- Pierroux P. Group creativity in adolescence: Relational, material and institutional dimensions of creative collaboration. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 2022. Vol. 31, pp. 107–137. DOI:10.1080/10508406.2022.2025813
- Syriopoulou–Delli C.K. Video-based instruction in enhancing functional living skills of adolescents and young adults with autism spectrum disorder and their transition to independent living: a review. International Journal of Developmental Disabilities, 2022. Vol. 68(6), pp. 788–799. DOI:10.1080/20473869.2021.1900504
- Smith C.A., Gillespie M. Research on Professional Development and Teacher Change: Implications for Adult Basic Education. Review of Adult Learning and Literacy. Vol. 7. Connecting Research, Policy, and Practice, Ch. 7. National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy (NCSALL), 2007. 40 p. [Elektronnyi resurs]. URL: https://www.ncsall.net/fileadmin/resources/ann_rev/smith-gillespie-07.pdf (Accessed 25.03.2022).
- The OECD TALIS Video Study. Progress Report. OECD, 2019 [Elektronnyi resurs]. URL: https://www.oecd.org/education/school/TALIS_Video_Study_Progress_Report.pdf (Accessed 15.08.2022).
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 32
Current month: 4
Previous month: 7
Current month: 1