The Relationship of Professional Burnout with Indicators of Age and Characteristics of the Educational Environment
The article examines the dependence of professional burnout of secondary school teachers on the favorable educational environment and on the age characteristics of teachers. The study was carried out in two stages (the first stage included the study of the relationship between the professional burnout of teachers and age characteristics; the second stage was aimed at studying the relationship between the indicators of the favorable educational environment of the school and the professional burnout of teachers). The study involved 70 subjects (women, mean age 43.2 + 12.61 years, minimum age 23 years, maximum age 62). The main research methods were: diagnostic (MBI professional burnout questionnaire, educational environment safety questionnaire, psychotic atmosphere in the team questionnaire, assessment of the index of relative biological aging according to V.P. Voitenko) and statistical (correlation analysis and stepwise multiple regression with the inclusion of variables). The authors come to the conclusion that for teachers with a work experience of 1 year or more, there is no linear relationship between experience, calendar age and indicators of professional burnout. At the same time, there is a correlation between the indicators of burnout and the index of relative biological aging: the higher the indicators of burnout, the stronger the rate of biological aging of the body. The main conclusion in the work is the established fact of the relationship of professional burnout with an increase in biological age, and the absence of a linear relationship with calendar age and length of service. On the other hand, professional burnout depends on the degree of favorable educational environment: the more favorable the environment, the less burnout.
Keywords: psychological safety, educational environment safety, professional burnout, calendar age, biological age, personality, pedagogical activity
Journal rubric: Interdisciplinary Studies
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The study was carried out according to the state order of the Ministry of Education of Russian Federation dated July 31, 2023, No. 073-00038-23-06 “Development of sociopsychological technology of prevention and overcoming of professional burn-out in teachers of general educational organisations”.
Acknowledgements. Teacher-psychologist D. Novikova and teacher Yu.F. Faskhutdinova for assistance in data collection.
For citation: Berezina T.N., Deulin D.V., Sechko A.V., Rozenova M.I. The Relationship of Professional Burnout with Indicators of Age and Characteristics of the Educational Environment [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologiya i pravo = Psychology and Law, 2023. Vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 193–210. DOI: 10.17759/psylaw.2023130314. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Voitenko V.P., Tokar A.V. (eds.). Biologicheskii vozrast. Nasledstvennost’ i starenie. Kiev: Institut gerontologii, 1984. 143 p. (In Russ.).
- Gilemkhanova E.N., Khusainova R.M., Lushpaeva I.I., Khairutdinova M.R. Model’ sub”ektivnoi otsenki professional’nogo blagopoluchiya uchitelya v kontekste obespecheniya bezopasnoi obrazovatel’noi sredy [A Model of Subjective Well-Being of a Teacher in the Context of the Safety of Educational Environment] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Obrazovanie i samorazvitie = Education and Self Development, 2022. Vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 288–302. doi:10.26907/esd.17.4.20 (In Russ.).
- Groza I.V. Vliyanie vozrasta i stazha pedagoga na emotsional’noe vygoranie. Sovremennye naukoemkie tekhnologii = Modern High Technologies, 2009, no. 10, pp. 63–54. (In Russ.).
- Kudryashova K.V., Vereshchagina L.A. Psikhologicheskie faktory professional’noi deformatsii uchitelei obshcheobrazovatel’noi shkoly [Psychological factors of the professional deformation of teachers of comprehensive schools]. Nauchnye issledovaniya vypusknikov fakul’teta psikhologii SPbGU. Vol. 5. Saint-Petersburg: Izdatel'stvo Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta, 2017, pp. 45–51. (In Russ.).
- Maistrenko V.I., Maistrenko E.V., Provorova O.V. Dinamika parametrov kvaziattraktorov vektora sostoyaniya organizma pedagogov Yugry s raznym stazhem raboty pri vyrazhennosti u nikh emotsional’nogo vygoraniya [The expression of emotional burnout and the dynamics of parameters of quasi-atractors of the vector of the state of the organism of teachers of Ugra with different work experience] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Vestnik novykh meditsinskikh tekhnologii = Journal of New Medical Technologies, 2017, no. 2, pp. 89–94. doi:10.12737/article_5943a726c42896.26764325 (In Russ.).
- Samsonova E.A. Sotsiologicheskie faktory vliyaniya obrazovatel’noi sredy na professional’noe vygoranie prepodavatelei vuzov [Sociological Factors of the Influence of the Educational Environment on the Professional Burnout of University Teachers] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Vestnik Instituta sotsiologii = Vestnik Instituta Sotziologii, 2022. Vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 179–192. doi:10.19181/vis.2022.13.3.837 (In Russ.).
- Smirnova E.V., Poshtareva T.V. Issledovanie professional’nogo vygoraniya prepodavatelei [Research of professional burnout of teachers] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Vestnik Severo-Kavkazskogo federal’nogo universiteta = Newsletter of North-Caucasus Federal University. 2022, no. 5 (92), pp. 219–227. doi:10.37493/2307-907X.2022.5.25 (In Russ.).
- Usmanova Z.T., Latypov I.K. Emotsional’noe vygoranie trenera-prepodavatelya po sportivnym edinoborstvam [Emotional burnout in martial arts trainer-instructor]. Fizicheskaya kul’tura: vospitanie, obrazovanie, trenirovka = Physical Culture: Upbringing, Education, Training, 2018, no. 1, pp. 43–46. (In Russ.).
- Finogenova T.A., Berezina T.N., Litvinova A.V., Rybtsov S.A. Vliyanie raznykh vidov stressa na biopsikhologicheskii vozrast: obzor sovremennykh issledovanii [The Influence of Different Types of Stress on Psychological Age: A Review of Modern Research]. Sovremennaya zarubezhnaya psikhologiya = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2023. Vol. 12, no. 3. (In Russ.).
- Baeva I.A., Bordovskaia N.V. The psychological safety of the educational environment and the psychological well-being of Russian secondary school pupils and teachers. Psychology in Russia: State of the Art, 2015. Vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 86–99. doi:10.11621/pir.2015.0108
- Bakan İ., Amırlı H. Tükenmişliğin Mesleki Bağlılık Üzerindeki Etkisi: Öğretmenler Üzerinde Bir Alan Araştırması. Kahramanmaraş Sütçü İmam Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi. Uluslararasi işletmecilik kongresi özel sayisi, 2022. Vol. 1. doi:10.33437/ksusbd.1160212
- Berezina T.N. Differences in individual life path choices affecting life expectancy and health in Russia. E3S Web of Conferences, 2020. Vol. 210. doi:10.1051/e3sconf/202021017032
- Berezina T.N. Distribution of biomarkers of aging in people with different personality types (in Russia). E3S Web of Conferences, 2020. Vol. 210. doi:10.1051/e3sconf/202021017028
- Berezina T.N., Rybtsov S.A. Use of Personal Resources May Influence the Rate of Biological Aging Depending on Individual Typology. European Journal of Investigation in Health, Psychology and Education, 2022. Vol. 12, pp. 1793–1811. doi:10.3390/ejihpe12120126
- Berezina T.N., Temirkanova A., Litvinova A.V., Kokurin A.V. Using Virtual Reality Techniques to Alleviate Cognitive Fatigue in Graduate Students Working while in College. European Journal of Contemporary Education, 2022. Vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 36–46. doi:10.13187/ejced.2022.1.36
- Borritz M., Rugulies R. Christensen K.B., Villadsen E., Kristensen T.S. Burnout as a predictor of self-reported sickness absence among human service workers: prospective findings from three year follow up of the PUMA study. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2006. Vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 98–106. doi:10.1136 /oem.2004.019364
- Cech T., Dobesova Cakirpaloglu S., Gillova A., Hormandlova T. School climate and other factors influencing the risk of burnout in nursery school teachers. EDULEARN 21 Proceedings. 13th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies. July 5th-6th, 2021. 2021, pp. 2283–2291. doi:10.21125/edulearn.2021.0511
- Gedvilienė G., Didžiulienė R. The Interaction between Teachers’ Professional Burnout and Professional Satisfaction. Pedagogika, 2020. Vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 66–82. doi:10.15823/p.2020.137.4
- Gedvilienė G., Tūtlys, V., Lukošūnienė V. Development of the profession and qualifications of adult educators in Lithuania in the context of reforms of adult education. International Review of Education, 2018. Vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 465–487. doi:10.1007/s11159-018-9704-3
- Gilmour A.F., Sandilos L.E. The Crucial Role of Administrators in Shaping Working Conditions for Teachers of Students with EBD. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, 2023. Vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 109–119. doi:10.1177/10634266221149933
- Hasson F., McKenna H.P., Keeney S. A qualitative study exploring the impact of student nurses working part time as a health care assistant. Nurse Education Today, 2013. Vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 873–879. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2012.09.014
- Koteneva A.V., Berezina T.N., Rybtsov S.A. Religiosity, Spirituality and Biopsychological Age of Professionals in Russia. European Journal of Investigation in Health Psychology and Education, 2021. Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1221–1238. doi:10.3390/ejihpe11040089
- Li X., Xiao W., Sun C., Li W., Sun. B. Does Burnout Decrease with Teacher Professional Identity Among Teachers in China? Journal of Career Development, 2022. Vol. 50, no. 1. doi:10.1177/08948453221138937
- Litvinova A., Kokurin A., Ekimova V., Koteneva А., Pozdnyakov V. Procrastination as a Threat to the Psychological Security of the Educational Environment. Behovioral Sciences, 2020. Vol. 10, no. 1. doi:10.3390/bs10010001
- Maslach C., Leiter M.P. Understanding the burnout experience: recent research and its implications for psychiatry. World Psychiatry, 2016. Vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 103–111. doi:10.1002/wps.20311
- Salvagioni D.A.J., Melanda F.N., Mesas A.E., González A.D., Gabani F.L., Andrade S.M. Physical, psychological and occupational consequences of job burnout: A systematic review of prospective studies. PLoS ONE, 2017. Vol. 12, no. 10. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0185781
- Sviderskaya S.P., Shabasheva E.A., Ignatovich Yu.O. Research on interrelations between mental burnout and factor signs of teachers’ professional self-fulfillment. Perspectives of Science & Education, 2023, no. 2 (62), pp. 517–535. doi:10.32744/pse.2023.2.30
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 81
Current month: 7
Previous month: 29
Current month: 0