Characteristics of Emerging Adulthood: Adaptation of the Questionnaire in Russian Culture
Objective. Translation, adaptation, and psychometric testing of the Russian version of the questionnaire “Inventory of the Dimensions of Emerging Adulthood (IDEA)” by A. Reifman, J.J. Arnett and M.J. Colwell on a Russian sample.
Background. All over the world, the phenomenon of delayed maturation is acknowledged: young people describe the third decade of their lives as a time of “role without role” and unlimited freedom. In Russia, researchers also note that objective criteria of adult life have been replaced by subjective ones. However, as studies on the adaptation of the questionnaire show, the characteristics of emerging adulthood manifest themselves differently depending on the country and type of culture, so it is necessary to check what aspects of the construct are appropriate in Russia.
Study design. A standard psychometric procedure for adapting was carried out. The questionnaire was translated in accordance with international requirements. Next, the original version was checked, it did not fit the Russian sample well. After that, exploratory factor analysis and confirmatory factor analysis were carried out to find a suitable model and check the structural validity of the questionnaire. Reliability indicators were calculated for the resulting model.
Participants. The respondents were 676 students aged 18 to 29 living in Russian large cities and millionaire cities.
Measurements. “Inventory of the Dimensions of Emerging Adulthood (IDEA)”. Correlation analysis, exploratory factor analysis, confirmatory factor analysis, and assessment of the reliability of the obtained model were carried out. The data were analyzed using the RStudio program.
Results. A 5-factor correlation model is proposed that confirms the theoretically distinguished characteristics of emerging adulthood. But the original structure has changed: the questionnaire has been reduced from 31 items and six scales to 19 items and five scales, two items were included in other factors.
Conclusions. In Russia, maturation is predominantly associated with the search for identity, experiments, and self-orientation, and to a lesser extent with instability, which can be explained by a mixed type of culture. The questionnaire can be used for research purposes to further test the findings.
Keywords: emerging adulthood identity exploration; experiments; self-focus; feeling in-between; instability; Russian cultural environment
Journal rubric: Methodological Tools
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The study was supported by a grant from the Russian Science Foundation (RSF), project number 20-18-00262, https://rscf.ru/project/20-18-00262/
Acknowledgements. The author is grateful to S.K. Nartova-Bochaver and S.I. Reznichenko for help in preparing the manuscript.
For citation: Yerofeyeva V.G. Characteristics of Emerging Adulthood: Adaptation of the Questionnaire in Russian Culture. Sotsial'naya psikhologiya i obshchestvo = Social Psychology and Society, 2023. Vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 187–204. DOI: 10.17759/sps.2023140312. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Klement'eva M.V. «Podlinnoe Ya» kak prediktor formiruyushcheisya vzroslosti studentov ["Real Self" as a predictor of students’ emerging adulthood]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2020. Vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 64–74. DOI:10.17759/pse.2020250306 (In Russ.).
- Klement'eva M.V. Rossiiskaya versiya shkaly otsenki formiruyushcheisya vzroslosti (IDEA-R): osobennosti razvitiya studentov [The Russian Version of the Emerging Adulthood Scale (IDEA-R): Peculiarities of Student Development]. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Psikhologiya = Bulletin of St. Petersburg University. Psychology, 2023. Vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 164–182. DOI:10.21638/spbu16.2023.203 (In Russ.).
- Nartova-Bochaver S.K. Psikhologicheskaya suverennost' kak prediktor emotsional'noi ustoichivosti v rannei i srednei vzroslosti [Psychological sovereignty as a predictor of emotional stability in early and middle adulthood]. Klinicheskaya i spetsial'naya psikhologiya = Clinical and special psychology, 2015. Vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 15–28. (In Russ.).
- Tolstykh N.N. Sovremennoe vzroslenie [Modern adulthood]. Konsul'tativnaya psikhologiya i psikhoterapiya = Counseling psychology and psychotherapy, 2015. Vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 7–24. DOI:10.17759/cpp.2015230402 (In Russ.).
- Shilova N.P. Vzroslenie v yunosheskom vozraste [Growing up in adolescence]. Vestnik Moskovskogo gorodskogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta. Seriya: Pedagogika i psikhologiya = Bulletin of the Moscow City Pedagogical University. Series: Pedagogy and psychology, 2020. Vol. 4, pp. 37–49. (In Russ.).
- Abakumova I., Berberyan A., Berberyan H. Psychological characteristics of the value orientation system of Armenians in title ethnos and Russian diaspora. International Journal of Cognitive Research in Science, Engineering and Education (IJCRSEE), 2019. Vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 11–17.
- Arnett J.J. Emerging adulthood: A theory of development from the late teens through the twenties. American Psychologist, 2000. Vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 469–480. DOI:10.1037/0003-066X.55.5.469
- Arnett J.J. Conceptions of the transition to adulthood among emerging adults in American ethnic groups. New directions for child and adolescent development, 2003. Vol. 100, pp. 63–76. DOI:10.1002/cd.75
- Arnett J.J. Emerging adulthood: The winding road from the late teens through the twenties. Oxford University Press, 2014. 416 p.
- Atak H., Çok F. The Turkish version of inventory of the dimensions of emerging adulthood (The IDEA). International Journal of Educational and Pedagogical Sciences, 2008. Vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 392–396. DOI:10.5281/zenodo.1082183
- Baggio S., Iglesias K., Studer J., Gmel G. An 8-item short form of the Inventory of Dimensions of Emerging Adulthood (IDEA) among young Swiss men. Evaluation & the health professions, 2015. Vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 246–254. DOI:10.1177/0163278714540681
- Bartholomew D.J., Knott M., Moustaki I. Latent variable models and factor analysis: A unified approach. John Wiley & Sons, 2011. 296 p.
- Brown T.A. Confirmatory factor analysis for applied research. Guilford publications, 2015. 475 p.
- Costello A.B., Osborne J. Best practices in exploratory factor analysis: Four recommendations for getting the most from your analysis. Practical assessment, research, and evaluation, 2005. Vol. 10, no. 1:7. DOI:10.7275/jyj1-4868
- Côté J.E. The dangerous myth of emerging adulthood: An evidence-based critique of a flawed developmental theory. Applied Developmental Science, 2014. Vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 177–188. DOI:10.1080/10888691.2014.954451
- Crocetti E., Tagliabue S., Sugimura K., Nelson L.J., Takahashi A., Niwa T., Sugiura Y., Jinno M. Perceptions of emerging adulthood: A study with Italian and Japanese university students and young workers. Emerging adulthood, 2015. Vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 229–243. DOI:10.1177/2167696815569848
- Dutra-Thomé L., Koller S.H. Brazilian version of the inventory of the dimensions of emerging adulthood: Investigating the current transition to adulthood. Trends in Psychology, 2017. Vol. 25, pp. 901–912. DOI:10.9788/TP2017.3-01
- Facio A., Resett S., Micocci F., Mistrorigo C. Emerging adulthood in Argentina: An age of diversity and possibilities. Child Development Perspectives, 2007. Vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 115–118. DOI:10.1111/j.1750-8606.2007.00025.x
- Fierro Arias D., Moreno Hernández A. Emerging adulthood in Mexican and Spanish youth: Theories and realities. Journal of Adolescent Research, 2007. Vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 476–503. DOI:10.1177/0743558407305774
- Galanaki E., Sideridis G. Dimensions of emerging adulthood, criteria for adulthood, and identity development in Greek studying youth: A person-centered approach. Emerging Adulthood, 2019. Vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 411–431. DOI:10.1177/2167696818777040
- George D., Mallery P. Reliability analysis. IBM SPSS statistics 23 step by step. Routledge, 2016. 400 p.
- Havighurst R.J. Developmental tasks and education. New York: McKay, 1965. 100 p.
- Hendry L.B., Kloep M. Conceptualizing emerging adulthood: Inspecting the emperor’s new clothes? Child development perspectives, 2007. Vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 74–79. DOI:10.1111/j.1750-8606.2007.00017.x
- Hill J.M., Lalji M., van Rossum G., van der Geest V.R., Blokland A.A. Experiencing emerging adulthood in the Netherlands. Journal of Youth Studies, 2015. Vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1035–1056. DOI:10.1080/13676261.2015.1020934
- Hu L.T., Bentler P.M. Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural equation modeling: a multidisciplinary journal, 1999. Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–55. DOI:10.1080/10705519909540118
- Kloep M., Hendry L.B., Taylor R., Stuart-Hamilton I. Development from adolescence to early adulthood: A dynamic systemic approach to transitions and transformations. Psychology Press, 2016. 164 p.
- Kuang J., Zhong J., Yang P., Bai X., Liang Y., Cheval B., Herold F., Wei G., Taylor A., Zhang J., Chen C., Sun J., Zou L., Arnett J.J. Psychometric evaluation of the inventory of dimensions of emerging adulthood (IDEA) in China. International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology, 2023. Vol. 23, no. 1: 100331. DOI:10.1016/j.ijchp.2022.100331
- Leontopoulou S., Mavridis D., Giotsa A. Psychometric properties of the Greek Inventory of the Dimensions of Emerging Adulthood (IDEA): University student perceptions of developmental features. Journal of Adult Development, 2016. Vol. 23, pp. 226–244. DOI:10.1007/s10804-016-9239-4
- Lisha N.E., Grana R., Sun P., Rohrbach L., Spruijt-Metz D., Reifman A., Sussman S. Evaluation of the psychometric properties of the Revised Inventory of the Dimensions of Emerging Adulthood (IDEA-R) in a sample of continuation high school students. Evaluation & the health professions, 2014. Vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 156–177. DOI:10.1177/0163278712452664
- Mayseless O., Scharf M. What does it mean to be an adult? The Israeli experience. New directions for child and adolescent development, 2003. Vol. 100, pp. 5–20. DOI:10.1002/cd.71
- Nájera Catalán H.E. Reliability, population classification and weighting in multidimensional poverty measurement: A Monte Carlo study. Social indicators research, 2019. Vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 887–910. DOI:10.1007/s11205-018-1950-z
- Nelson L.J., Chen X. Emerging adulthood in China: The role of social and cultural factors. Child Development Perspectives, 2007. Vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 86–91. DOI:10.1111/j.1750-8606.2007.00020.x
- O’Connor B.P. SPSS and SAS programs for determining the number of components using parallel analysis and Velicer’s MAP test. Behavior research methods, instruments, & computers, 2000. Vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 396–402. DOI:10.3758/BF03200807
- Reifman A., Arnett J.J., Colwell M.J. Emerging adulthood: Theory, assessment and application. Journal of Youth Development, 2007. Vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 37–48. DOI:10.5195/jyd.2007.359
- Rosenberger N. Rethinking emerging adulthood in Japan: Perspectives from long‐term single women. Child Development Perspectives, 2007. Vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 92–95. DOI:10.1111/j.1750-8606.2007.00021.x
- Sánchez-Queija I., Parra A., Camacho C., Arnett J.J. Spanish version of the Inventory of the Dimensions of Emerging Adulthood (IDEA-S). Emerging Adulthood, 2020. Vol. 8, pp. 237–244. DOI:10.1177/2167696818804938
- Shek D.T., Dou D., Zhu X., Chai W. Positive youth development: Current perspectives. Adolescent health, medicine and therapeutics, 2019. No. 10, pp. 131–141. DOI:10.2147/AHMT.S179946
- Şimşek G.G., Noyan F. McDonald's ωt, Cronbach's α, and generalized θ for composite reliability of common factors structures. Communications in Statistics-Simulation and Computation, 2013. Vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 2008–2025. DOI:10.1080/03610918.2012.689062
- Sirsch U., Dreher E., Mayr E., Willinger U. What does it take to be an adult in Austria? Views of adulthood in Austrian adolescents, emerging adults, and adults. Journal of Adolescent Research, 2009. Vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 275–292. DOI:10.1177/0743558408331184
- Syed M. Emerging adulthood: Developmental stage, theory, or nonsense. The Oxford handbook of emerging adulthood, 2016, pp. 11–25.
- Wider W., Bullare A., Bahari F., Mustapha M., Gakuj M.H. Investigating the measurement of Malay version of Inventory of Dimensions of Emerging Adulthood (M-IDEA) among first year university students in Malaysia. International Journal of Current Research, 2016. Vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 29878–29884.
- Zagórska W., Skoczeń I., Lipska A., Arnett J.J. Polish adaptation of the Inventory of the Dimensions of Emerging Adulthood. Current Issues in Personality Psychology, 2023, pp. 1–7. DOI:10.5114/cipp/159277
- Žukauskienė R., Kaniušonytė G., Nelson L.J., Crocetti E., Malinauskienė O., Hihara S., Sugimura K. Objective and subjective markers of transition to adulthood in emerging adults: Their mediating role in explaining the link between parental trust and life satisfaction. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 2020. Vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 3006–3027. DOI:10.1177/0265407520948621
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 84
Current month: 16
Previous month: 46
Current month: 11