Previous issue (2020. Vol. 9, no. 2)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
The Problem of Relationships between Doctor and HIV-Infected Patient 894
senior laboratory assistant, Social Psychology Department, Saint Petersburg State University, St.Petersburg, Russia
This paper presents the foreign literature review on the relationships between doctor and patient as a psycho-social factor affecting the various HIV treatment and care outcomes. While some researchers have found an association between the "patient-provider" relationships and missed clinic visits, following the medical advice (adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy), some diagnostic services’ utilization and the length of hospitalizations, the other researchers did not find such evidences. In general, "patient-provider" relationships research involves methodological difficulties, such as the accuracy and validity of the scales used; it indicates the need for further theoretical and empirical research in this field. The article may be of interest to researchers in the fields of sociology and social psychology of health, practitioners and also specialists developing prevention programs for people living with HIV.
- Bakken, S., Holzemer, W.I., Brown, M.-A., Powell-Cope, G.M., Turner, J.G.,
Inouye, J., Nokes, K.M., Corless, I.B. Relationships between Perception of
Engagement with Health Care Provider and Demographic Characteristics, Health
Status, and Adherence to Therapeutic Regimen in Persons With HIV/AIDS. AIDS
Patient Care and STDs, 2000, vol. 14, pp. 189–197.
- Golin, C.E., Liu, H., Hays, R.D., Miller, L.G., Beck, C.K., Ickovics, J.,
Kaplan, A.H., Wenger, N.S. A Prospective Study of Predictors of Adherence
to Combination Antiretroviral Medication. Journal of General Internal
Medicine, 2002, vol. 10, no. 17, pp. 756–765.
- Gordillo, V., del Amo, J., Soriano, V., Gonzalez-Lahoz, J. Sociodemographic
and Psychological Variables Influencing Adherence to Antiretroviral Therapy.
AIDS, 1999, no. 13, pp. 1763–1769.
- Holzemer, W.L., Corless, I.B., Nokes, K.M., Turner, J.G., Brown, M.A.,
Powell-Cope, G.M., Inouye, J., Henry, S.B., Nicholas, P.K., Portillo, C.J.
Predictors of Self-Reported Adherence in Persons Living with HIV Disease.
AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 1999, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 185–197.
- Malcolm, S.E., Ng, J.J., Rosen, R.K., Stone, V.E. An Examination of
HIV/AIDS Patients Who Have Excellent Adherence to HAART. AIDS Care,
2003, no. 15, pp. 251–261.
- Mills, E., Nachega, J., Bangsberg, D., Singh, S., Rachlis, B., Wu, P.,
Wilson, K., Buchan, I., Gill, C., Cooper, C. Adherence to HAART: a Systematic
Review of Developed and Developing Nation Patient Reported Barriers and
Facilitators. PLoS Med, 2006, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 2039–2064.
- Murphy, D.A., Roberts, K.J., Hoffman, D., Molina, A., Lu, M.C. Barriers and
Successful Strategies to Antiretroviral Adherence Among HIV-Infected
Monolingual Spanish-Speaking Patients. AIDS care, 2003, vol. 15, no 2,
- Murphy, D.A., Roberts, K.J., Martin, D.J., Marelich, W., Hoffman, D.
Barriers to Antiretroviral Adherence among HIV-Infected Adults. AIDS Patient
Care and STDs, 2000, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 47–58.
- Ridd, M.J., Lewis, G., Peters, T.J., Salisbury, C. Patient-Doctor
Depth-of-Relationship Scale: Development and Validation. Annals of Family
Medicine, 2011, no. 9, pp. 538–545.
- Saultz, J.W., Albedaiwi, W. Interpersonal Continuity of Care and Patient
Satisfaction: A Critical Review. Annals of Family Medicine, 2004, no. 2,
- Saultz, J.W., Lochner, J. Interpersonal Continuity of Care and Care
Outcomes: A Critical Review. Annals of Family Medicine, 2005, no. 3, pp.
- Schneider, J., Kaplan, S.H., Greenfield, S, Li, W., Wilson, I.B. Better
Physician-Patient Relationships Are Associated with Higher Reported Adherence
to Antiretroviral Therapy in Patients with HIV Infection. Journal of General
Internal Medicine, 2004, no. 19, pp. 1096–1103.
- Vincke, J., Bolton, R. Therapy Adherence and Highly Active Antiretroviral
Therapy: Comparison of Three Sources of Information. AIDS Patient
Care and STDs, 2002, no. 16, pp. 487–495.