Competitiveness of a Specialist: Undergraduates’ Expectations and Strategies 385
PhD in Psychology, Associate Professor of the Department of Applied Linguistics and Foreign Languages, Faculty of Humanities, National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
PhD in Philology, Associate Professor of Department of Applied Linguistics and Foreign Languages, Faculty of Humanities, National Research University Higher School of Economics, Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia
The article tackles the problem of competitiveness of university graduates. The study sample is represented by the students of the Faculty of Management. The authors analyze differing views on competitiveness among employers and graduates, and characteristics of key competencies required to obtain and keep a job. A survey among the final-year students was aimed at studying their perceptions of their own competitiveness, job ambitions and expectations. The respondents’ attitudes towards labour market opportunities and career prospects were revealed. The strategies that the future managers use to improve their employability were described. The obtained results may be used to develop and include in the curricula some components of skills which enable the development of a competitive personality.
- Avraamova E. M., Verpakhovskaya Yu.B. Rabotodateli i vypuskniki vuzov na
rynke truda: vzaimnye ozhidaniya [Employers and graduates in the labour market:
mutual expectations]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Studies in Sociology],
2006, no. 4, pp. 37-46.
- Virina I.V. Formirovanie i razvitie konkurentosposobnosti molodykh
spetsialistov na rynke truda: Avtoreferat diss. …kand. ekon. nauk [Building and
enhancing the employability of young specialists. Ph.D. (Economy) Thesis].
Moscow, 2007. 24 p.
- Danakin N.S., Shutenko A.I. Konkurentosposobnost' vypusknikov kak
pokazatel' effektivnosti raboty sovremennogo vuza [Elektronnyi resurs]
[Graduate employability as an indicator of the effectiveness of a modern
university]. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern issues of
science and education], 2014, no. 6. URL:
- Zubok Yu.A., Chuprov V.I. Otnoshenie molodezhi k obrazovaniyu kak faktor
povysheniya effektivnosti podgotovki vysokokvalifitsirovannykh kadrov [Young
people’s perceptions of education as a factor raising the effectiveness of
preparation of highly-qualified specialists]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya
[Studies in Sociology], 2012, no. 8, pp. 103-111.
- Kasymova Yu.N. Konkurentosposobnost' spetsialista: nekotorye sovremennye
podkhody ekonomicheskoi nauki [Elektronnyi resurs] [Specialist’s employability:
some modern approaches of economics]. Nauchnaya elektronnaya biblioteka
eLIBRARY.RU [Scientific Electronic Library eLIBRARY.RU]. URL:
https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=17989685 (Accessed: 25.05.2017).
- Korneichenko N.V. Formirovanie konkurentosposobnosti spetsialista
gostinichnogo servisa v protsesse obucheniya v kolledzhe: Avtoreferat diss. ...
kand. pedagogicheskikh nauk [Developing employability of hospitality service
managers during the college years. Ph.D (Pedagogy) Thesis]. Astrakhan', 2008.
- Mitina L.M. Psikhologiya razvitiya konkurentosposobnoi lichnosti [The
psychology of developing a competitive personality]. Voronezh: Publ. NPO
«MODEK», 2002. 400 p.
- Mihajlova Ju.N. Razvitie adaptacionnogo potenciala lichnosti studenta kak
faktor optimizacii obrazovatel'nogo prostranstva vuza [Developing a person’s
adaptation abilities as a factor of optimization of university’s educational
environment]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie [Psychological Science and
Education], 2010, no. 5. pp. 19–25. (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Sobkin V.S., Tkachenko O.V., Fedyunina A.V. Student pedagogicheskogo vuza:
otnoshenie k obrazovaniyu i professional'nye plany [Perception of education and
plans for the future among students of a pedagogical university]. Voprosy
obrazovaniya [Educational Studies], 2005, no.1, pp. 304–319.
- Andrews J., Higson H. Graduate Employability, ‘Soft Skills’ Versus ‘Hard’
Business Knowledge: A European Study. Higher Education in Europe, 2008. Vol.
33:4, pp. 411–422.
- Dorozynski T., Swierkocki J., Ubraniak W. Employers Expectations Vis-à-vis
Graduates Of Faculties of Economics. Results Of A Direct Study. Comparative
Economic Research, 2016. Vol. 19:2, pp. 93-109.
- Gewertz C. Soft skills in big demand: Interest in teaching students habits
of mind for success in life is on the rise. Education Week, 2002. Vol. 26:40,
- James R. F., James M. L. Teaching career and technical skills in a “mini”
business world. Business Education Forum, 2004. Vol. 59:2, pp. 39-41.
- John J. Study on the nature of impact of soft skills training programme on
the soft skills development of management students. Pacific Business Review
(October/December), 2010, pp.19–27.
- Klaus P. Communication breakdown. California Job Journal, 2010. Vol. 28,
- Online Collins Dictionary. [Elektronnyi resurs]. URL:
- Online Dictionary. [Elektronnyi resurs]. URL:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skills (Accessed 05.10.17).
- Parsons T. L. Definition: Soft skills. 2008. [Elektronniy resurs].
SearchCIO. URL: http://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/soft-skills
- Redford K. How to measure the impact of soft skills training [Elektronnyi
- Robles M.M. Executive Perceptions of the Top 10 Soft Skills Needed In
Today's Workplace. Business Communication Quarterly, 2012. Vol. 75:4,
- Tomlinson M. Graduate Employability and Student Attitudes and Orientations
to the Labour Market. Journal of Education and Work, 2007. Vol. 20:4, pp.
- Thurow L. Head to Head: The Coming Economic Battle among Japan, Europe, and
America. New York: William Morrow & Co, 1992. 336 p.
- Wellington J. K. The “soft skills” of success: Be it high tech, low tech,
or no tech [Elektronnyi resurs]. Address by James K. Wellington, delivered to
the Arizona Career & Technical Education Conference, on July 19, 2005. URL:
- Williams A-M.C. Soft Skills Perceived by Students and Employers as Relevant
Employability Skills. Doctoral dissertation, 2015. 361 p.