Integrated Approach in the Support of the Child with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Clinical Case Exploration
Objectives. The effects of the psycho-educational work in autism spectrum disorders (ASD) in preschool children is largely associated with timely comprehensive diagnostics. Present article aims to expound the possibilities of a multidisciplinary diagnostical and psycho-educational approach using the analysis of a clinical case of a child with ASD as an example.
Methods. Explored the clinical case of a 3 years 10 months old child with the registered ICD-10 DS F84.0 (Childhood Autism). The child underwent a comprehensive developmental diagnostics and follow-up psycho-educational training sessions with a multidisciplinary team of specialists: a neuropsychologist, special teacher, speech therapist, ABA-therapist. Developmental diagnostics was attained using such methods as adapted Lurian neuropsychological tests, VB-MAPP and social skills assessment.
Results. After the psycho-educational course child showed improvements in the following domains: communication, daily living skills, social interaction and cognitive functioning. Three factors influencing effects of work were identified: a multidisciplinary approach to diagnosis and training; regularity and continuity of sessions until sustainable results are achieved (in case of severe disorders — permanent work); using of various methods and tools for habilitation within the general psycho-educational framework.
Conclusions. The complex diagnostics approach is relevant at all stages of psycho-educational work in order to individualize the programs used in accordance with the current level of development of the child. The authors suggest that the applied behavior analysis techniques can be integrated into the program of complex psycho-educational work.
Keywords: ASD; habilitation; interdisciplinary coordination; rehabilitation team; neuropsychological approach; speech therapy; ABA therapy techniques; occupation therapy
Journal rubric: Education & Intervention Methods
Article type: scientific article
For citation: Pakhtusova N.A., Akmaev V.A., Nekrasova O.S. Integrated Approach in the Support of the Child with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Clinical Case Exploration. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2023. Vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 42–49. DOI: 10.17759/autdd.2023210206. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Glozman Zh.M., Soboleva A.E., Titova Yu.V. Neiropsikhologicheskaya diagnostika detei doshkol’nogo vozrasta [Neuropsychological diagnostics for preschool children]: in 3 parts. Moscow: Publ. Airis-press, 2019. P. 1. 200 p. P. 2. 56 p. P. 3. 47 p. ISBN 978-5-8112-7063-7. (In Russ.).
- Gryaznova A.N., Vasina V.V. Assessment of the Formation of Communication Skills Using VB-MAPP in Preschool Children with ASD. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2020, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 23—32. (In Russ., abstr. in Eng.). DOI:10.17759/autdd.2020180403
- Zak G.G., Nugaeva O.G., Shul’zhenko N.V. Metodika obsledovaniya sotsial’no-bytovykh navykov u detei mladshego doshkol’nogo vozrasta s umerennoi i tyazheloi umstvennoi otstalost’yu [Social skills survey procedure for junior preschool children with moderate to severe mental retardation] [Web resource]. Spetsial’noe obrazovanie = Special Education, 2014, no. 1, pp. 52—59. URL: http://elar.uspu.ru/handle/uspu/487 (Accessed 20.06.2023). (In Russ., abstr. in Eng.).
- O vnesenii izmenenii v Poryadok provedeniya profilakticheskikh meditsinskikh osmotrov nesovershennoletnikh, utverzhdennyi prikazom Ministerstva zdravookhraneniya Rossiiskoi Federatsii ot 10 avgusta 2017 g. № 514н [Web resource]: Prikaz ot 30.04.2020 № 396н [On amendments to the Procedure for conducting preventive medical examinations of minors, approved by order of the Ministry of Health of Russian Federation dated August 10, 2017 no. 514н: Order no. 396н dated 30.04.2020] / Ministry of health of Russian Federation. Moscow, 2019. 8 p. URL: https:// minjust.consultant.ru/documents/44211 (Accessed 20.06.2023). (In Russ.).
- Rasstroistva autisticheskogo spektra [Web resource]: klinicheskie rekomendatsii [Autism Spectrum Disorders: Clinical recommendations] / Association of psychiatrists and psychologists for science-based practice; Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation. Moscow, 2020. 72 p. URL: https://cr.minzdrav.gov.ru/recomend/594_1 (Accessed 20.06.2023). (In Russ.).
- Solov’eva M.V., Davydov D.V. “Aut Fitness” — a Technology for Organizing Classes on Adaptive Physical Education for Children with ASD. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2022, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 17—25. (In Russ., abstr. in Eng.). DOI:10.17759/autdd.2022200402
- Abdallah M.W., Mortensen E.L., Greaves-Lord K. et al. Neonatal levels of neurotrophic factors and risk of autism spectrum disorders. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 2013, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 61—69. DOI:10.1111/acps.12020
- Barnes C.S., Mellor J.R., Rehfeldt R.A. Implementing the Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program (VB-MAPP): Teaching Assessment Techniques. The Analysis of Verbal Behavior, 2014, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 36—47. DOI:10.1007/s40616-013-0004-5
- Bernier R., Mao A., Yen J. Psychopathology, families, and culture: Autism. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 2010, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 855—867. DOI:10.1016/j.chc.2010.07.005
- Daley T.C., Sigman M.D. Diagnostic conceptualization of autism among Indian psychiatrists, psychologists, and pediatricians. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2002, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 13—23. DOI:10.1023/a:1017947922349
- Ecker C., Bookheimer S.Y., Murphy D.G.M. Neuroimaging in autism spectrum disorder: brain structure and function across the lifespan. The Lancet Neurology, 2015, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 1121—1134. DOI:10.1016/S1474-4422(15)00050-2
- Fein D., Barton M., Eigsti I.-M. et al. Optimal outcome in individuals with a history of autism. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 2013, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 195—205. DOI:10.1111/jcpp.12037
- Frye R.E. A Personalized Multidisciplinary Approach to Evaluating and Treating Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Personalized Medicine, 2022, vol. 12, no. 3, article no. 464. 18 p. DOI:10.3390/jpm12030464
- Hazlett H.C., Gu H., Munsell B.C. et al. Early brain development in infants at high risk for autism spectrum disorder. Nature, 2017, vol. 542, no. 7641, pp. 348—351. DOI:10.1038/nature21369
- Herbert M.R. Contributions of the environment and environmentally vulnerable physiology to autism spectrum disorders. Current Opinion in Neurology, 2010, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 103—110. DOI:10.1097/WCO.0b013e328336a01f
- Hirota T., King B.H. Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Review. JAMA, 2023, vol. 329, no. 2, pp. 157—168. DOI:10.1001/ jama.2022.23661
- Pickles A., Anderson D.K., Lord C. Heterogeneity and plasticity in the development of language: a 17-year follow-up of children referred early for possible autism. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 2014, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1354— 1362. DOI:10.1111/jcpp.12269
- Rafiee F., Rezvani Habibabadi R., Motaghi M. et al. Brain MRI in Autism Spectrum Disorder: Narrative Review and Recent Advances. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 2022, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1613—1624. DOI:10.1002/jmri.27949
- Sortwell A., Forte P., Ramirez-Campillo R. et al. Interventions to Promote the Development of Motor Performance Skills in Primary School Aged Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Controlled Trials. International Journal of Kinesiology and Sports Science, 2022, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 34—54. DOI:10.7575/ aiac.ijkss.v.10n.4p.34
- Szatmari P., Georgiades S., Duku E. et al. Developmental trajectories of symptom severity and adaptive functioning in an inception cohort of preschool children with autism spectrum disorder. JAMA Psychiatry, 2015, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 276—283. DOI:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.2463
- Tarr C.W., Rineer-Hershey A., Larwin L. The effects of physical exercise on stereotypic behaviors in autism: small-n meta-analyses. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 2020, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 26—35. DOI:10.1177/1088357619881220
- Wang L., Wang B., Wu C. et al. Autism Spectrum Disorder: Neurodevelopmental Risk Factors, Biological Mechanism, and Precision Therapy. The International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 2023, vol. 24, no. 3, article no. 1819. 40 p. DOI:10.3390/ijms24031819
- Wisner-Carlson R., Pekrul S.R., Flis T. et al. Autism Spectrum Disorder Grows Up. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 2020, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. [13-16]. DOI:10.1016/j.chc.2020.02.001
- Zwick G.P. Neuropsychological assessment in autism spectrum disorder and related conditions. Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, 2017, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 373—379. DOI:10.31887/DCNS.2017.19.4/gzwick
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 41
Current month: 3
Previous month: 23
Current month: 2