Applying Activity Theory in Multiagency Settings
Keywords: Vygotsky, Activity Theory, mediation, artefact, Bakhtin, identity, discourse Bernstein, Hasan
Journal rubric: Problems of Cultural-Historical and Activity Psychology
Article type: scientific article
For citation: Daniels H. Applying Activity Theory in Multiagency Settings. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2016. Vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 15–26. DOI: 10.17759/chp.2016120302.
A Part of Article
- Bernstein B. Official knowledge and pedagogic identities. In F. Christie (ed.) Pedagogy and the Shaping of Conscious- ness: Linguistic and Social Processes. London: Cassell, 1999.
- Bernstein B. Pedagogy, Symbolic Control and Iden- tity: Theory Research Critique. Revised edition. Rowman and Littlefield: Oxford, 2000.
- Bourdieu P. Outline of a theory of practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1977.
- Cole M. Cultural Psychology: A once and future disci- pline. Cambridge Mass: Harvard University Press, 1996.
- Cole M., Engeström Y. A cultural-historical approach to distributed cognition. In G. Salomon (ed.) Distributed cog- nitions: Psychological and educational considerations. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1993.
- Daniels H., et al. Learning in and for multi-agency working. Oxford Review of Education, 2007. Vol. (33) 4, pp. 521—538.
- Engeström Y. Innovative Learning in Work Teams: Analysing cycles of Knowledge creation in Practice. In En- geström Y. (eds.) Perspectives on Activity Theory. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- Department for Education and Skills, 2002a. Spending Review: Investment for reform. London: DfES.Department for Education and Skills. 2002b. Safer School Partnerships: Guidance. Issued jointly by Department for Education and Skills, Home Of- fice, Youth Justice Board, Association of Chief Education Officers and Association of Chief Police Officers (Ref: DfES/0485/2002).
- Engstrom Y.,Miettinen R. Introduction. In Enges- tröm, Y. (eds.) Perspectives on Activity Theory. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999, pp. 1—18.
- Freeman M., Miller C., Ross N. The impact of philoso- phies of teamwork on multiprofessional practice and the impli- cations for education. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 2000. Vol. 14(3), pp. 237—247.
- Hakkarainen K., Lonka K., Paavola S. Networked Intelligence: How Can Human Intelligence Be Augmented Through Artifacts, Communities, and Networks? 2004. Avail- able at: URL: http://www.lime.ki.se/uploads/images/517/ Hakkarainen_Lonka_Paavola.pdf. (Accessed 15.06.2005)
- Halliday M.A.K. Relevant models of language, in Explo- rations in the Functions of Language. London: Arnold, 1973.
- Halliday M.A.K. 1975. Learning How to Mean: Explo- rations in the Development of Language. London: Arnold.
- Halliday M.A.K. Language as Social Semiotic: The So- cial Interpretation of Language and Meaning. London: Arnold, 1978.
- Hasan R. (forthcoming) Semiotic mediation, language and society: three exotropic theories — Vygotsky, Halliday and Bernstein. Manuscript (in press).
- Hasan R. Understanding talk: directions from Ber- nstein’s sociology. International Journal Of Social Research Methodology, 2001. Vol. 4 (1), pp. 5—9.
- Hasan R., Cloran C. A sociolinguistic study of everyday talk between mothers and children. In Halliday M.A.K. (eds) Learning Keeping and Using Language. Volume 1. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 1990.
- Hasan R. Speech genre, semiotic mediation and the development of higher mental functions. Language Science, 1992a. Vol. 14 (4), pp. 489—528.
- Hasan R. Meaning in Sociolinguistic theory. In Bolton K. (eds.) Sociolinguistics Today: International Perspec- tives. London: Routledge, 1992b, pp. 245—287.
- Hasan R. On Social Conditions for Semiotic Media- tion: the genesis of mind in society. Knowledge and Pedagogy. In Saadovnik A.R. (ed.) The Sociology of Basil Bernstein. Nor- wood, NJ: Ablex, 1995.
- Hasan R. The ontogenesis of decontextualised lan- guage: some achievements of classification and framing. In Morais A. (eds.) Towards a Sociology of Pedagogy: the contribu- tion of Basil Bernstein to research. New York: Peter Lang, 2001, pp. 47—80.
- Hasan R. Semiotic Mediation and Mental Develop- ment in Pluralistic Societies: Some Implications for Tomor- row’s Schooling. In Claxton G. (ed) Learning for life in the 21st century: sociocultural perspectives on the future of education. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishers, 2002a, pp. 112—126.
- Hasan R. Ways of Meaning, Ways of Learning: code as an explanatory concept. British Journal of Sociology of Educa- tion, 2002b. Vol. (23) 4, pp. 98—121.
- Holland D., Lachiotte L., Skinner D., Cain C. Identity and agency in cultural worlds. Cambridge Mass: Harvard Uni- versity Press, 1998.
- Leont’ev A.N. Activity, consciousness, and personality. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall, 1978.
- Linehan C., McCarthy J. Positioning in practice: Understanding participation in the social world. Jour- nal for the Theory of Social Behaviour, 2000. Vol. 30 (3), pp. 435—453.
- Morrison T. Working together to safeguard children: challenges and changes for inter-agency co-ordination in child protection. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 2000. Vol. 14(4), pp. 363—373.
- Pirkkalainen, J., Kaatrakoski H., Engestrom Y. Hybrid agency as hybrid practices. Mimeo, 2005.
- Secker J., Hill K. Broadening the partnerships: experi- ences of working across community agencies. Journal of Inter- professional Care, 2001. Vol. 15(4), pp. 341—350.
- Silverman D., Torode B. The Material Word: some theories of language and its limits. London: Routledge. 1980.
- Slater P. Training for No Secrets: a strategic initiative. Social Work and Education, 2002. Vol. 21(4), pp. 437—448.
- Sturge C. A multi-agency approach to assessment. Child Psychology and Psychiatry Review, 2001. Vol. 6(1), pp. 16—23.
- Wertsch J.V. Vygotsky and the Social Formation of Mind. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1985.
- Wertsch J.V. Voices of the Mind: A Socio-Cultural Ap- proach to Mediated Action. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Univer- sity Press, 1991.
- Diamond J. Managing change or coping with conflict?- Mapping the experience of a local regeneration partnership. Local Economy, 2001. Vol. 16(4), pp. 272—285.
- Bernstein B. The Structuring of Pedagogic Discourse Volume IV: Class, Codes and Control. London: Routledge, 1990.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 2
Current month: 1
Previous month: 5
Current month: 1