2021. Vol. 17, no. 4, 46–55
ISSN: 1816-5435 / 2224-8935 (online)
Social Cohesion, Ethnicity and Well-Being: Results from an Intervention Study in Kyrgyzstan
Keywords: ethnicity, ethnic disparities, Kyrgyzstan, life satisfaction, change in life satisfaction, social cohesion, well-being
Journal rubric: Empirical Research
Article type: scientific article
Funding. Klaus Boehnke’s contribution to this article was prepared within the framework of the HSE University Basic Research Program. The micro data used in this article was originally collected for the project “Social Cohesion through Community-Based Development Project” funded by the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) and the World Bank. The views expressed are not necessarily those of the AKF or the World Bank.
For citation: Larsen M.M., Boehnke K., Esenaliev D., Bruck T. Social Cohesion, Ethnicity and Well-Being: Results from an Intervention Study in Kyrgyzstan. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2021. Vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 46–55. DOI: 10.17759/chp.2021170405.
- Angner E. Subjective well-being. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 2010. Vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 361—368.
- Bécares L., Nazroo J., Stafford M. The buffering effects of ethnic density on experienced racism and health. Health and Place, 2009. Vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 700—708. DOI:10.1016/j. healthplace.2008.10.008
- Breton R. Institutional completeness of ethnic communities and the personal relations of immigrants. American Journal of Sociology, 1964. Vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 193— 205. DOI:10.1086/223793
- Cheung F., Lucas R.E. Assessing the validity of single-item life satisfaction measures: Results from three large samples. Quality of Life Research, 2014. Vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 2809—2818. DOI:10.1007/s11136-014-0726-4
- Clark A. et al. Lags and leads in life satisfaction: A test of the baseline hypothesis. Economic Journal, 2008. Vol. 118, no. 529, pp. F222-F243. DOI:10.1111/j.1468- 0297.2008.02150.x
- Delhey J., Dragolov G. Happier together: Social cohesion and subjective well-being in Europe. International Journal of Psychology, 2016. Vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 163—176. DOI:10.1002/ijop.12149
- de Souza Briggs X. Moving up versus moving out: Neighborhood effects in housing mobility programs. Housing Policy Debate, 1997. Vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 195—234. DOI:10.1080/ 10511482.1997.9521252
- de Vroome T., Hooghe M. Life satisfaction among ethnic minorities in the Netherlands: Immigration experience or adverse living conditions? Journal of Happiness Studies, 2014. Vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1389—1406. DOI:10.1007/s10902- 013-9483-2
- Diener E. Subjective well-being: The science of happiness and a proposal for a national index. American Psychologist, 2000. Vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 34—43. DOI:10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.34
- Diener E. et al. The Satisfaction with Life Scale. Journal of Personality Assessment, 1985. Vol. 49, pp. 71-75.
- Dietz R.D. The estimation of neighborhood effects in the social sciences: An interdisciplinary approach. Social Science Research, 2002. Vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 539—575. DOI:10.1016/ S0049-089X(02)00005-4
- Dragolov G. et al. Social cohesion in the Western world. What holds societies together: Insights from the Social Cohesion Radar. Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing, 2016. 138 p. DOI:10.1007/978-3-319-32464-7.
- Easterlin R. Happiness and economic growth — the evidence. In Glatzer W. et al. (eds.), Global handbook of quality of life: Exploration of well-being of nations and continents. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 2015, pp. 283-299. DOI:10.1007/978-94-017-9178-6_12
- Enders C.K., Tofighi D. Centering predictor variables in cross-sectional multilevel models: A new look at an old issue. Psychological Methods, 2007. Vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 121—138. DOI:10.1037/1082-989X.12.2.121
- Esenaliev D. et al. Social cohesion through community-based development in Kyrgyzstan. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan: University of Central Asia, 2018. IPPA Working Paper 46.
- Hülür G. et al. Levels of and changes in life satisfaction predict mortality hazards: Disentangling the role of physical health, perceived control, and social orientation, 2017. Psychology and Aging, Vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 507—520. DOI:10.1037/pag0000187
- Huskey E. et al. Ten years gone: The legacy of the 2010 revolution and ethnic violence in Kyrgyzstan: A roundtable. Washington, D.C.: The Oxus Society for Central Asian Affiairs, 2021.
- Hsu C.Y., Chang S.S., Yip P. A multilevel analysis of a population-based sample from Hong Kong. Urban Studies, 2017. Vol. 54, no. 16, pp. 3700—3717. DOI:10.1177/0042098016677208
- Kirmanoǧlu H., Başlevent C. Life satisfaction of ethnic minority members: An examination of interactions with immigration, discrimination, and citizenship. Social Indicators Research, 2014. Vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 173—184. DOI:10.1007/ s11205-013-0276-0
- Knies G. Income comparisons among neighbours and satisfaction in East and West Germany. Social Indicators Research, 2012. Vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 471—489. DOI:10.1007/ s11205-011-9818-5
- Knies G., Melo P.C., Zhang M. Neighbourhood deprivation, life satisfaction and earnings: Comparative analyses of neighbourhood effects at bespoke scales. Urban Studies, 2020. DOI:10.1177/0042098020956930
- Knies G., Nandi A., Platt L. Life satisfaction, ethnicity and neighbourhoods: Is there an effect of neighbourhood ethnic composition on life satisfaction? Social Science Research, 2016. Vol. 60, pp. 110—124. DOI:10.1016/j. ssresearch.2016.01.010
- Kreft I.G.G., de Leeuw J., Aiken L.S. The effect of different forms of centering in hierarchical linear models. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 1995. Vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1—21. DOI:10.1207/s15327906mbr3001_1
- Kyrgyzstan Inquiry Commission. Report of the Independent International Commission of Inquiry into the Events in Southern Kyrgyzstan in June 2010. Kyrgyzstan Inquiry Commission, 2011.
- Larsen M., Boehnke K. Measuring social cohesion in the Kyrgyz Republic: The Social Cohesion Index. Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic: University of Central Asia, 2016. IPPA Working Paper 37.
- Lewis D.G., Sagnayeva S. Corruption, patronage and illiberal peace: Forging political settlement in post-conflict Kyrgyzstan. Third World Quarterly, 2020. Vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 77—95. DOI:10.1080/01436597.2019.1642102
- National Statistical Committee of the Kyrgyz Republic. Population, 2019. http://stat.kg/en/statistics/naselenie/
- Marat E. ‘We disputed every word’: How Kyrgyzstan’s moderates tame ethnic nationalism. Nations and Nationalism, 2016. Vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 305-324. DOI:10.1111/nana.12156
- Melvin N. Promoting a stable and multiethnic Kyrgyzstan: Overcoming the causes and legacies of violence. New York City, USA: Open Society Foundations, 2011.
- Oshio T. et al. How does area-level deprivation depress an individual’s self-rated health and life satisfaction? Evidence from a nationwide population-based survey in Japan. BMC Public Health, 2021. Vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1—11. DOI:10.1186/ s12889-021-10578-2
- Poortinga W. Social capital: An individual or collective resource for health? Social Science & Medicine, 2006. Vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 292—302. DOI:10.1016/J. SOCSCIMED.2005.06.008
- Safi M. Immigrants’ life satisfaction in Europe: Between assimilation and discrimination. European Sociological Review, 2010. Vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 159—176. DOI:10.1093/esr/jcp013
- Sam D. et al. Psychological and sociocultural adaptation of immigrant youth. In Berry J. et al (eds.), Immigrant youth in cultural transition: Acculturation, identity, and adaptation across national contexts. New York: Psychology Press, 2006, pp. 117-141. DOI: 10.4324/9780415963619-5
- Shields M.A., Wheatley Price S., Wooden M. Life satisfaction and the economic and social characteristics of neighbourhoods. Journal of Population Economics, 2009. Vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 421—443. DOI:10.1007/s00148-007- 0146-7
- StataCorp. Stata Statistical Software: Release 17. College Station, USA: StataCorp LP, 2021.
- Veenhoven, R. (2012). Happiness, also known as ‘Life satisfaction’ and ‘Subjective well-being’. In Land K.C., Michalos A.C., Sirgy M.J. (eds.), Handbook of Social Indicators and Quality of Life Research. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 2012, pp. 63—77. DOI:10.1007/978- 94-007-2421-1_3
- Verkuyten, M. Life satisfaction among ethnic minorities: The role of discrimination and group identification. Social Indicators Research, 2008. Vol, 89, no. 3, pp. 391—404. DOI:10.1007/s11205-008-9239-2
- Zuccotti C.V. Shaping ethnic inequalities: The production and reproduction of social and spatial inequalities among ethnic minorities in England and Wales. Ph.D. (Political and Social Sciences) diss. Florence, Italy: European University Institute, 2015. 406 p. DOI:10.2870/193678
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 8
Current month: 3
Previous month: 4
Current month: 1