Counseling Psychology and Psychotherapy
2022. Vol. 30, no. 4, 143–162
ISSN: 2075-3470 / 2311-9446 (online)
Opportunities for Psychological Support and Accompaniment of YOUNG People with Intellectual Disabilities in Employment
Purpose. The research reveals the possibilities of psychological support and advisory support for young people with intellectual disabilities (ID) in the process of their employment and work activities in order to achieve positive dynamics in matters of their professional self–determination, painless integration into the professional community and development in the profession. Procedure and methods.The study involved young people with ID aged 18 to 32 years (N=123). The experimental technology of included employment, developed on the basis of a professional labor experiment, a case method, methods of resource and positive psychotherapy, SPT, involves differentiation of the levels of readiness for employment of persons with ID (minimum, medium, sufficient) and selection for each level of the route accompaniments, which includes the provision of psychological counseling and support: employment, protected employment and escorted employment in the open market. Results and conclusions. The introduction of the technology showed that the leverage that activates the personal resources of the readiness of young people with ID to perform work tasks is specially organized working conditions and psychological support in the experimental social enterprise "Special Assembly" in combination with group trainings and individual counseling. The results of the provision of counseling psychological assistance and psychological support was a significant increase in the number of people with a sufficient level of readiness for independent work (from 27.64% to 40.65%), the indicator of responsible attitude of employees with ID towards team members increased from 1.58% to 36.50% of respondents, anxiety about failures in work activity decreased from 2% to 33.50% of respondents, 47.61% of people with ID established communication with friends at a sufficient level. 51 people are employed in the open labor market.
Keywords: included employment, psychological support, intellectual disabilities, positive and resource psychotherapy, psychological counseling, professional labor experiment, professional definition, employment
Journal rubric: Empirical Researches
Article type: scientific article
Funding. This research was carried out within the framework of the state task of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation No. 073-00110-22-01 & was supported by the President of the Russian Federation [Presidential grant for the development of civil society No. 22-2-002771].
For citation: Bystrova Y.A. Opportunities for Psychological Support and Accompaniment of YOUNG People with Intellectual Disabilities in Employment. Konsul'tativnaya psikhologiya i psikhoterapiya = Counseling Psychology and Psychotherapy, 2022. Vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 143–162. DOI: 10.17759/cpp.2022300408. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
1. Ananiev I. V., Bystrova Yu. A. Vkliuchenie lits s mentalnymi narusheniiami v professionalno–trudovuiu deiatelnost (opyt raboty sotsialnogo predpriiatiia «Osobaia sborka») [Inclusion of Persons with Mental Disabilities in Professional and Labour Activities (Experience of Social Enterprise «Osobaya sborka»)]. Moscow: Company with Limited Liability «Publishing House «Karo», 2021. 144 p. DOI:10.37691/KARO.978–5–9925–1535–0. (In Russ.).
2. Belopolskaya N.L. Nekotoryye voprosy psikhologo–pedagogicheskogo konsul'tirovaniya semey, imeyushchikh detey s otkloneniyami v intellektual'nom raz vitii [Some issues of psychological and pedagogical counseling for families with children with intellectual disabilities]. Defektologiya [Defectology], 1984, no. 5, pp. 18—22. (In Russ.).
3. Bystrova Yu.A. Development of Social and Psychological Readiness for Professional and Working Life in Students with Intellectual Disabilities. Кul'turno–istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural–Historical Psychology, 2022. Vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 54—61. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17759/chp.2022180206 (In Russ.).
4. Bystrova Yu. A. Sformirovannost kognitivnogo komponenta gotovnosti k professionalno–trudovoi deiatelnosti u lits s intellektualnymi narusheniiami [Formation of the Cognitive Component of Readiness for Professional and Labour Activity in Persons with Intellectual Disabilities]. Scientific and Practical Periodical «Vestnik MGEI» (on line) [Herald of MHEI (on line)], 2021, no. 2, pp. 159–173. DOI:10.37691/2619–0265–2021–0–2–159–173. (In Russ.).
5. Dubrovina I.V. Idei L.S. Vygotskogo o soderzhanii detskoi prakticheskoi psikhologii [Ideas of L.S. Vygotsky Regarding the Content of Child Practical Psychology]. Psikhologo–pedagogicheskie issledovaniia = Psychological–Educational Studies, 2013, no. 3, Available at: http:// psyedu.ru/journal/2013/3/3432.phtml (Accessed: 18.11.2021). (In Russ.).
6. Dulnev G.M. Osnovy trudovogo obucheniia vo vspomogatelnoi shkole [Fundamentals of Handicraft Lessons in Special School]. Moscow: Prosveshchenie, 1969. Available at: https://pedlib.ru/Books/4/0439/index.shtml (Accessed: 11/15/2021). (In Russ.).
7. Zaretsky V.K., Kholmogorova A.B. Pedagogicheskaya, psikhologicheskaya i psikhoterapevticheskaya pomoshch’ v protsesse preodoleniya uchebnykh trudnostei kak sodeistvie razvitiyu rebenka [Pedagogical, Psychological and Psychotherapeutic Help in Overcoming Learning Difficulties to Facilitate Development]. Konsul’tativnaya psihologiya i psihoterapiya = Counseling Psychology and Psychotherapy, 2017. Vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 33—59. DOI:10.17759/cpp.2017250303 (In Russ.).
8. Zaretsky V.K., Kholmogorova A.B. Svyaz’ obrazovaniya, razvitiya i zdorov’ya s pozitsii kul’turno–istoricheskoi psikhologii [Relationship between Education, Development & Health from Cultural–Historical Perspective]. Kul’turno–istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural–Historical Psychology, 2020. Vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 89—106. DOI:10.17759/chp.2020160211
9. Morozov S.A., Morozova T.I., Belyavsky B.V. K voprosu ob umstvennoy otstalosti pri rasstroystvakh autisticheskogo spektra [To the question of mental retardation in autism spectrum disorders]. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya =Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2016. Vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 9–18. DOI:10.17759/autdd.2016140102
10. Pinskii B.I. Korrektsionno–vospitatelnoe znachenie truda dlia psikhicheskogo razvitiia uch–sia vspomog. shkoly [Correctional and Educational Value of Labour for the Mental Development of Special School Students]. Moscow: Pedagogika, 1985. 128 p. Available at: https://pedlib.ru/Books/6/0054/6_0054–1.shtml (Accessed: 10.11.2021). (In Russ.).
11. Rubtsov V.V. Dva podkhoda k probleme razvitiia v kontekste sotsialnykh vzaimodeistvii L.S. Vygotskii vs Zh. Piazhe [Two Approaches to the Problem of Development in the Context of Social Interactions: Lev Vygotsky vs. Jean Piaget]. Kulturno–istoricheskaia psikhologiia = Cultural and Historical Psychology, 2020. Vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 5–14. DOI:10.17759/chp.2020160302. (In Russ.).
12. Kholmogorova A.B. Otechestvennaya psikhologiya myshleniya i kognitivnaya terapiya [Domestic psychology of thinking and cognitive therapy]. Konsul'tativnaya psikhologiya i psikhoterapiya = Counseling Psychology and Psychotherapy, 2001. Volume 9. no. 4, pp. 154—164.
13. Yudina T.A., Aliokhina S.V. Issledovaniia po problemam sotsialnoi i obrazovatelnoi inkliuzii lits s intellektualnymi narusheniiami [Research on the Issues of Social and Educational Inclusion in Persons with Intellectual Disabilities]. Sovremennaia zarubezhnaia psikhologiia = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2015. Vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 40—46. DOI:10.17759/jmfp.2015040205. (In Russ.).
14. Bystrova Yu., Kovalenko V. Kazachiner O. Social and Pedagogical Support of Children with Disabilities in Conditions of General Secondary Educational Establishments. Journal for Educators, Teachers and Trainers, 2021. Vol. 12(3), pp. 101—114. DOI:10.47750/jett.2021.12.03.010
15. Cohen C.B. Psychotherapy with Deaf and Hard of Hearing Individuals. Journal of Social Work in Disability & Rehabilitation, 2003. Vol. 2, iss. 2–3, pp. 23—46.
16. Duggan S., Blackman T., Martyr A., Van Schaik P. The impact of early dementia on outdoor life: A `shrinking world’? Dementia, 2008. Vol. 7, no 2, pp. 191—204.
17. Harel D. Autobiographical therapeutic theatre with older people with dementia. The Self in Performance. Autobiographical, Self–Revelatory and Autoethnographic Forms of Therapeutic Theatre. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016, pp. 213—226.
18. Werner S., Gumpel T.P., Koller J., Wiesenthal V., Weintraub N. Can Self–Efficacy Mediate Between Knowledge of Policy, School Support and Teacher Attitudes Towards Inclusive Education? PLoS ONE. 2021. Vol. 16(9). e0257657. DOI:10.13128/form–10451doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0257657