Metaphor as a tool for analyzing beliefs (in terms of teacher's sense of his/her work)
Keywords: teachers' beliefs, making sense of experience, prevention of professional burnout, teachers' metaphors, educational metaphors
Journal rubric: Educational Psychology
Article type: review article
For citation: Bochaver A.A. Metaphor as a tool for analyzing beliefs (in terms of teacher's sense of his/her work) [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sovremennaia zarubezhnaia psikhologiia = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2012. Vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 65–75. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
2. Bruner J. The culture of education. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Univ. Press, 1996.
3. Buaraphan K. Metaphorical Roots of Beliefs about Teaching and Learning Science and their Modifications in the Standard-Based Science Teacher Preparation Programme // International Journal of Science Education, First published on: 15 December 2010 (iFirst), 2010.
4. Bullough R. V. Exploring personal teaching metaphors in preservice teacher education // Journal of Teacher Education, 1991. Vol. 42. № 1. P. 42—51.
5. Bullough R. V., Knowles J. G., Crow N. A. Emerging as a teacher. New York: Routledge, 1992.
6. Carter K. Meaning and metaphor: Case knowledge in teaching // Theory into Practice. 1990. Vol. 29. № 2. P. 109—126.
7. Collins E., Green J. Metaphors: The construction of a perspective // Theory into Practice. 1990. Vol. 29. P. 2, 1—7.
8. Connelly F. M., Clandinin D. J., He M. F. Teachers' personal practical knowledge on the professional knowledge landscape // Teaching and Teacher Education, 1997, 13, 7, 665—74.
9. Cook-Sather A. Between Student and Teacher: Learning to teach as translation' // Teaching Education, 2001, 12, 2, 177—190.
10. Fenstermacher G. D., Soltis J. F. Approaches to teaching. New York: Teachers College Press, 1992.
11. Fullan M. The new meaning of educational change. New York: Teachers College Press, 2001.
12. Hancock E., Gallard A. J. Preservice science teachers' beliefs about teaching and learning: The influence of K-12 experiences // Journal of Science Teacher Education, 2001, 15, 4, 281—291.
13. Hardcastle B., Yamamoto K., Parkay F. W., Chan J. Metaphorical views of school: A cross-cultural comparison of college students // Teaching and Teacher Education, 1985, 1, 4, 309—315.
14. Ho J. W. Y. Metaphorical Construction of Self in Teachers' Narratives // Language and Education, 2005, 19, 5, 359—379.
15. Jacobsen C. Violations of the supervisory relationship: An ethical and educational blind spot // Social Work, 1991, 36, 2, 130—135.
16. Kelly G. The psychology of personal constructs. New York: Norton, 1955.
17. Ladson-Billings G. The dreamkeepers: Successful teachers of African American children. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1994.
18. Lakoff G., Johnson M. Metaphors we live by. Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press, 1980.
19. Levitt K. E. An analysis of elementary teachers' beliefs regarding the teaching and learning of science // Science Education, 2001, 86, 1—22.
20. McGrath I. Using insights from teachers' metaphors', Journal of Education for Teaching, 2006, 32, 3, 303—317.
21. Mahlios M., Massengill-Shaw D., Barry A. Making sense of teaching through metaphors: a review across three studies // Teachers and Teaching, 2010, 16, 1, 49—71.
22. Mahon J. Conflict style and cultural understanding among teachers in the western United States: Exploring relationships // International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2009, 33, 46—56.
23. Martinez M. A., Sauleda N., Guenter L. H. Metaphors as blueprints of thinking about teaching and learning // Teaching and Teacher Education, 2001, 17, 8, 965—77.
24. Meirink J. A., Meijer P. C., Verloop N., Bergen T. C. M. Understanding teacher learning in secondary education: The relations of teacher activities to changed beliefs about teaching and learning // Teaching and Teacher Education, 2009, 25, 89—100.
25. Ng W., Nicholas H., Williams A. School experience influences on pre-service teachers' evolving beliefs about effective teaching // Teaching and Teacher Education, 2010, 26, 278—289.
26. Parsons S. C., Brown P. U., Worley V. A metaphor analysis of preservice teachers' reflective writings about diversity. Curriculum and Teaching Dialogue, 2004, 6, 1, 49—58.
27. Perry C., Cooper M. Metaphors are Good Mirrors: Reflecting on change for teacher educators // Reflective Practice, 2001, 2, 1, 41—52.
28. Pomson A., Gillis M. The teacher-as-stranger as model and metaphor // Teacher Development, 2010, 14, 1, 45—56.
29. Saban A., Kocbeker B. N., Saban A. Prospective teachers' conceptions of teaching and learning revealed through metaphor analysis // Learning and Instruction, 2007, 17, 2, 123—139.
30. Samuels R. Being outside the circle: Postmodern composition, pedagogy, and psychoanalytic theory / Pedagogical desire: Authority, seduction, transference, and the question of ethics, ed. J. Jagodzinski. Westport, CT: Bergin & Garvey, 2002.
31. Sibii R. Conceptualizing teacher immediacy through the 'companion' metaphor // Teaching in Higher Education, 2010, 15, 5, 531—542.
32. Stofflett R. Metaphor development by secondary teachers enrolled in graduate teacher education // Teaching and Teacher Education, 1996, 12, 6, 577—89.
33. Tobin K., LaMaster S. U. An interpretation of high school science teaching based on metaphors and beliefs for specific roles / Teacher personal theorizing: Connecting curriculum practice, theory, and research, ed. E. W. Ross, J. W. Cornett, and G. McCutcheon. Albany, GA: State University of New York Press, 1992.
34. Van Driel J. H., Bulte A. M. W., Verloop N. The relationship between teachers' general beliefs about teaching and learning and their domain specific curricular beliefs // Learning and Instruction, 2007, 17, 156—171.
35. Yamamoto K., Hardcastle B., Muehl S., Muehl L. Metaphorical images of life in young and middle adulthood: An exploration // Journal of Psychology, 1990, 124, 2, 143—154.
36. Yob I. M. Thinking constructively with metaphors // Studies in Philosophy and Education, 2003, 22, 127—138.
37. Zhao H. Q. Developing professional knowledge about teachers. Hangzhou, China: Zhejiang Univ. Press, 2009.
38. Zhao H. Q. Ways forward with ICT-assisted pedagogy in China // Theories into practice. Beijing: National Defense Industry Press, 2008.
39. Zhao H., Coombs S., Zhou X. Developing professional knowledge about teachers through metaphor research: facilitating a process of change // Teacher Development, 2010, 14, 3, 381—395.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 7
Current month: 0
Previous month: 7
Current month: 0