Psychogenetic studies of speech and language abilities: The short review and studying prospects
Keywords: psychogenetics; heredity; shared environment; speech; language; twin method
Journal rubric: General Psychology
Article type: review article
For citation: Chernov D.N. Psychogenetic studies of speech and language abilities: The short review and studying prospects [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sovremennaia zarubezhnaia psikhologiia = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2014. Vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 5–17. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Kryshova N.A., Shteingardt K.M. Dannye po izucheniyu sistemnoi funktsii rechi u bliznetsov [Data for the study of systemic function of speech in twins]. Voprosy klinicheskoi neirogenetiki [Questions of Clinical Neurogenetics]. E.V. Shmidt, E.D. Markova, eds. M.: Meditsina, 1973, pp. 28–38. (In Russ.).
- Kryshova N.A., Shteingardt K.M. Sravnitel'naya kharakteristika funktsii rechevykh myshts u odnoyaitsevykh bliznetsov [Comparative characteristics of speech muscle function in identical twins]. Zhurnal vysshei nervnoi deyatel'nosti im. Pavlova [I.P. Pavlov Journal of Higher Nervous Activity], 1967. Vol. 17, pp. 643–649. (In Russ.).
- Ravich-Shcherbo I.V., Chernov D.N. Psikhogeneticheskoe issledovanie individual'nykh osobennostei rechi v mladshem shkol'nom vozraste [Psychogenetic study of individual characteristics of speech in junior school age]. Zhurnal prikladnoi psikhologii [Journal of Applied Psychology], 2005, no. 1, pp. 21–29. (In Russ.).
- Chernov D.N., Parshukov A.Yu. Eksperimental'noe issledovanie genotip-sredovykh sootnoshenii po akusticheskim kharakteristikam rechi [Empirical study of genotype and environmental correlations under speech acoustic characteristics]. Psikhologicheskii zhurnal [Psychological Journal], 2006. Vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 86–94. (In Russ., Abstr. in Engl.).
- Bronfenbrenner U., Ceci S.J. Nature-nurture reconceptualized in developmental perspective: a bio-ecological model. Psychological Review, 1994. Vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 568–586.
- Genetic influence on language delay in 2-year-olds. Dale P.S., Simonoff E., Bishop D.V.M., Eley T.C., Oliver B., Price T.S. Nature Neuroscience, 1998. Vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 324–328.
- Genetic and environmental influences on the relation between the language and nonverbal abilities of 18- and 24-month old twins [Electronic resource]. Robinson B.F., Marvin C.B., Waldman I.D., Matheny A.P. Paper presented at the International Conference on Infant Studies, Brighton, England. 2000. July. Available at: http://www.isisweb.org/view/0/brighton2000tues32.html (Accessed: 08.04.2014).
- Genetic evidence for bidirectional effects of early lexical and grammatical development. Dionne G., Dale P.S., Boivin M., Plomin R. Child Development, 2003. Vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 394–412.
- Genetic models of expressive and receptive language in 18-month old French-speaking twins [Electronic resource]. Dionne G., Boivin M., Laplante D.P., Tremblay R.E., Pėrusse D. Brighton. Paper presented at the International Conference on Infant Studies, England. 2000. July. Available at: http://www.isisweb.org/view/0/brighton2000tues32.html (Accessed: 08.04.2014).
- Hayiou-Thomas M.E. Genetic and biological pathways underpinning communication disorders across the lifespan genetic and environmental influences on early speech, language and literacy development. Journal of Communication Disorders, 2008. Vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 397–408.
- Hayiou-Thomas M.E., Dale P.S., Plomin R. The etiology of variation in language skills changes with development: a longitudinal twin study of language from 2 to 12 years. Developmental science, 2012. Vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 233–249.
- Hohnen B., Stevenson J. The structure of genetic influences on general cognitive, language, phonological and reading abilities. Developmental Psychology, 1999. Vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 590–603.
- Locke J.L., Mather P.L. Genetic factors in the ontogeny of spoken language: evidence from monozygotic and dizygotic twins. Journal of Child Language, 1989. Vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 553–559.
- Mather P.L., Black K.N. Hereditary and environmental influences on preschool twin's language skills. Developmental Psychology, 1984. Vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 303–308.
- Mittler P. Genetic aspects of psycholinguistic abilities. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 1969. Vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 165–176.
- Mittler P. Language development in young twins: biological, genetic and social aspects. Acta Geneticae Medicae et Gemellologicae, 1976. Vol. 25, pp. 359–365.
- Munsinger H., Douglass A.II. The syntactic abilities of identical twins, fraternal twins, and their siblings. Child Development, 1976. Vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 40–50.
- Osborne R.T., Gregor A.J., Miele F. Heritability of factor V: verbal comprehension. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 1968. Vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 191–202.
- Petrill S.A., Pike A., Price T., Plomin R. Chaos in the home and socioeconomic status are associated with cognitive development in early childhood: environmental mediators identified in a genetic design. Intelligence, 2004. Vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 445–460.
- Pipp-Siegel S., Robinson J.L., Bridges D., Bartholomew S. Sources of individual differences in infant social cognition: cognitive and affective aspects of self and other. Intelligence, heredity and environment. R. Sternberg, E. Grigorenko, eds. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1996, pp. 505–528.
- Price T.S., Dale P.S., Plomin R. A Longitudinal genetic analysis of low verbal and nonverbal cognitive abilities in early childhood. Twin Research, 2004. Vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 139–148.
- Reznick J.S. Intelligence, language, nature and nurture in young twins. Intelligence, heredity and environment. Sternberg R., Grigorenko E., eds. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1996, pp. 483–504.
- Rowe D.C., Jacobson K.C., Van den Oord J.C.G. Genetic and environmental influences on vocabulary IQ: Parental education level as moderator. Child Development. 1999. Vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 1151–1162.
- Scarr S. Developmental theories for the 1990s: development and individual differences. Child Development, 1992. Vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 1–19.
- Stromswold K. Biological and psychosocial factors affect linguistic and cognitive development differently: a twin study. Proceedings of the Thirtieth Annual Boston University Conference on Language Development. Somerville MA: Cascillida Press, 2006, pp. 595–606.
- The heritability of early language milestones of vocabulary and grammar: a twin study. Ganger J., Pinker S., Baker A., Chawla S. Paper presented at the Boston University Conference on Language Development, Boston. 1998. November.
- The interaction of prematurity with genetic and environmental influences on cognitive and language development in twins during early childhood [Electronic resource]. Koeppen-Schomerus G., Eley T.C., Wolke D., Gringras P., Plomin R. Paper presented at the International Conference on Infant Studies, Brighton, England. 2000. July. Available at: http://www.isisweb.org/view/0/brighton2002sun2.html (Accessed: 08.04.2014).
- The role of specific and non-specific genetic factors in language development. Stromswold K., Schramm K., Molnar D., Holodak S., Sheffield E. Paper presented at the Society for Research in Child Development, Atlanta, GA, 2005.
- The structure off language abilities at 4 years: a twin study.Colledge E., Bishop D.V.M., Koeppen-Schomerus G., Price T.C., Happy F.G.E., Eley T.C., Dale P.S., Plomin R. Developmental Psychology, 2002. Vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 749–757.
- Tomasello M., Bates E. Language development: the essential readings. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2001. 388 p.
- Tucker-Drob E.M., Harden K.P. Early childhood cognitive development and parental cognitive stimulation: evidence for reciprocal gene–environment transactions. Developmental Science, 2012. Vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 250–259.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 21
Current month: 0
Previous month: 18
Current month: 1