Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology
2022. Vol. 11, no. 4, 51–60
ISSN: 2304-4977 (online)
Contemporary Foreign Approaches to Assessment of Preschool Children's Play Activity: a Review of Selected Methods
In contemporary foreign literature the concept of children's play is described through the prism of various theories (psychoanalysis, theory of motivational modulation, metacommunicative theory, cognitive theories, etc.). On the basis of these theories a number of diagnostic tools have been developed to assess the play of preschoolers. The article presents an overview of the most famous of them: Revised Knox Preschool Play Scale (RKPPS), The Child-Initiated Pretend Play Assessment (ChIPPA), Test of Playfulness (ToP). Each of these methods assesses specific components of children's play according to the age norms. The practical application of the methods considered in the article is largely based on the ideas of occupational therapy and focuses primarily on the rehabilitation of preschoolers with disabilities as well as on solving other therapeutic challenges.
Keywords: play; play activity; preschool age; play assessment tools; international approaches to a play; labor therapy; methods of play assessment
Journal rubric: Developmental Psychology
Article type: review article
For citation: Salomatova O.V. Contemporary Foreign Approaches to Assessment of Preschool Children's Play Activity: a Review of Selected Methods [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sovremennaia zarubezhnaia psikhologiia = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2022. Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 51–60. DOI: 10.17759/jmfp.2022110405. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Beitson G. Ekologiya razuma. Izbrannye stat'i po antropologii, psikhiatrii i epistemologii [Ecology of mind. Selected articles on anthropology, psychiatry and epistemology]. Moscow: Smysl, 2000. 476 p. (In Russ.).
- Serbina L.F., Borozinets N.M., Filipovich E.I. Novye podkhody v reabilitatsii lits s ogranichennymi vozmozhnostyami zdorov'ya [New approaches in the rehabilitation of people with disabilities]. Vestnik LGU im. A.S. Pushkina [Bulletin of Leningrad State University A.S. Pushkin], 2019, no. 4, pp. 175–181. (In Russ.).
- Smirnova E. O., Ryabkova I.A. Psikhologiya i pedagogika igry: uchebnik i praktikum dlya akademicheskogo bakalavriata [Psychology and Pedagogy of the Game]. Moscow: Izdatel'stvo Yurait, 2019. 223 p. (In Russ.).
- Filippova E.V. Igrovaya terapiya [Play therapy] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Al'manakh Instituta korrektsionnoi pedagogiki [Almanac of the Institute of Correctional Pedagogy], 2017, no. 28. URL: https://alldef.ru/ru/articles/almanac-28/play-therapy (Accessed 27.11.2022) (In Russ.).
- Iakshina A.N. Obzor sovremennykh instrumentov diagnostiki detskoi igry: vozmozhnosti, ogranicheniya i vyzovy dlya issledovatelei [Review of modern tools for diagnosing children's play: opportunities, limitations and challenges for researchers]. Sovremennoe doshkol'noe obrazovanie [Modern preschool education], 2021, no. 6, pp. 56–69. DOI:10.24412/1997-9657-2021-6108-56-69 (In Russ.).
- Uyanik G., Ciftci H.A., Unsal O., Kılıç Z., Değirmenci Ş. Analyzing the Relationships between Preschool Children’s Play Skills and Their Social Competence and Emotion Regulation Skills. Croatian Journal of Education, 2018. Vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 243–257. DOI:10.15516/cje.v20i0.3037
- Angelin A.S., Sposito A., Pfeifer L.I. Influence of functional mobility and manual function on play in preschool children with cerebral palsy. Hong Kong Journal of Occupational Therapy, 2018. Vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 46–53. DOI:10.1177/1569186118783889
- Lucisano R.V., Pfeifer L.I., Santos J.F., Stagnitti K. Construct validity of the Child‐Initiated Pretend Play Assessment — For 3 year old Brazilian children. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 2021. Vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 43–53. DOI:10.1111/1440-1630.12697
- Pfeifer L., Queiroz M.A., Santos J., Stagnitti K. Cross-Cultural Adaptation and Reliability of Child-Initiated Pretend Play Assessment (ChIPPA). Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 2011. Vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 187–195. DOI:10.2182/cjot.2011.78.3.7
- Harkness L., Bundy A. The Test of Playfulness and Children with Physical Disabilities. Occupational Therapy Journal of Research, 2001. Vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 73–89. DOI:10.1177/153944920102100203
- Hess L., Bundy A. The Association Between Playfulness and Coping in Adolescents. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 2003. Vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 5–17. DOI:10.1080/J006v23n02_02
- Hughes F.P. Children, Play, and Development. Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications, 2009. 384 p.
- João N.S., Sposito A.M., Scofield I.R., Pfeifer L.I. Knox Preschool Play Scale: a scoping review. Cadernos Brasileiros de Terapia Ocupacional, 2022. Vol. 30, article ID e3212, 14 p. DOI:10.1590/2526-8910.ctoAR245432122
- Knox S. Development and current use of the Knox Preschool Play Scale. In Parham L.D., Fazio L. (eds.), Play in occupational therapy for children. St. Louis Mo, United States: Mosby, 1997, pp. 35-51.
- Mellou E. Play Theories: A contemporary review. Early Child Development and Care, 1994. Vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 91–100. DOI:10.1080/0300443941020107
- Mirzakhany N., Farzinfar M., Golchin M.D. The Comparative Study of Pretend Plays Between 5–7 Years Old High-functioning Autistic Children and Their Normal Peers with Child-initiated Pretend Play Assessment. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, 2021. Vol. 15, no. 2, article ID e108789, 6 p. DOI:10.5812/ijpbs.108789
- Pacciulio A., Santos J., Pfeifer L. Validation of the Revised Knox Preschool Play Scale for the Brazilian Population. Occupational Therapy International, 2019, article ID 6397425, 5 p. DOI:10.1155/2019/6397425
- Parham D.L. Play and Occupational Therapy. In Parham D.L., Fazio L.S. (eds.), Play in Occupational Therapy for Children. St. Louis Mo, United States: Mosby, 1997, pp. 3–39.
- Golchin M., Mirzakhani N., Stagnitti K., Golchin M.D., Rezae M. Psychometric Properties of Persian Version of “Child-Initiated Pretend Play Assessment” For Iranian Children. Iranian Journal of Pediatrics, 2016. Vol. 27, no. 1, article ID e7053, 8 p. DOI:10.5812/ijp.7053
- Romli M.H., Yunus F.W. A Systematic Review on Clinimetric Properties of Play Instruments for Occupational Therapy Practice. Occupational Therapy International, 2020. Article ID 2490519, 19 p. DOI:10.1155/2020/2490519
- Ryan-Bloomer K., Candler C. Playfulness of children at home and in the hospital. International Journal of Play, 2013. Vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 237–253. DOI:10.1080/21594937.2013.855383
- Serrada-Tejeda S., Santos del Riego S., May-Benson T. Influence of Ideational Praxis on the Development of Play and Adaptive Behavior of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Comparative Analysis. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2021. Vol. 18, no. 11, article ID 5704, 12 p. DOI:10.3390/ijerph18115704
- Skard G., Bundy A. Test of Playfulness. In Parham L.D., Fazio L.S. (eds.), Play in Occupational Therapy for Children. St. Louis Mo, United States: Mosby, 2008, pp. 71–93.
- Serrada-Tejeda S., Santos del Riego S., Bundy A., Pérez-de-Heredia-Torres M. Spanish Cultural Adaptation and Inter-Rater Reliability of the Test of Playfulness. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 2021. Vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 555–565 DOI:10.1080/01942638.2021.1881199
- Stagnitti K. The Child-Initiated Pretend Play Assessment 2 (ChIPPA 2): Manual. West Brunswick, Vic: Coordinates Publications, 2019. 274 p.
- Stagnitti K. Understanding play: The implications for play assessment. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 2004. Vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 3–12. DOI:10.1046/j.1440-1630.2003.00387.x
- Cameron D., Leslie M., Teplicky R., Pollock N., Stewart D., Toal C., Gaik S. The clinical utility of the test of playfulness. The Canadian Journal of Occupational therapy, 2001. Vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 104–111. DOI:10.1177/000841740106800206
- Ray-Kaeser S., Chatelain S., Kindler V., Schneider E. The evaluation of play from occupational therapy and psychology perspectives. In Besio S., Bulgarelli D., Stancheva-Popkostadinova V. (eds.), Evolutions of Childrens’ Play: Tools and Methods. Warsaw/Berlin: De Gruyter Poland Ltd, 2018, pp. 19–57.
- O'Brien J., Coker P., Lynn R., Pearigen T., Rabon S., Aubin M.St., Ward A.T. The Impact of Occupational Therapy on a Child's Playfulness. Occupational Therapy in Health Care, 2000. Vol. 12, no. 2–3, pp. 39–51. DOI:10.1080/J003v12n02_03
- Veraksa N., Samuelsson I.P. Piaget and Vygotsky in XXI century: Discourse in Early Childhood Edication. Heidelberg: Springer, 2022. 206 p. DOI:10.1007/978-3-031-05747-2