Phenomenology of Different Forms of Psychological Violence among Youth: Foreign Studies
Keywords: violence, aggression, bullying, cyberbullying, culture, school climate, victimization
Journal rubric: Empirical Research
Article type: scientific article
For citation: Kozhukhar G.S. Phenomenology of Different Forms of Psychological Violence among Youth: Foreign Studies [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie psyedu.ru [Psychological Science and Education psyedu.ru], 2014. Vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 230–245. DOI: 10.17759/psyedu.2014060220. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Affonso D.D., Mayberry L., Shibuya J.Y. et al. Cultural context of school communities in rural Hawaii to inform youth violence prevention. Journal of School Health, 2010. Vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 146–152.
- Ajzen I., Brown T.C., Carvajal F. Explaining the discrepancy between intentions and actions: The case of hypothetical bias in contingent valuation. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 2004, no. 30, pp. 1108–1121.
- Aspy C.B., Vesely S.K., Ofman R.F.et al. School-related assets and youth risk behaviors: Alcohol consumption and sexual activity. Journal of School Health, 2012, no. 82, pp. 3–10.
- Baker C.K., Hishinuma E.S., Chang J.Y.et al. The relationship among exposure to stressful life events, drug use, and violence perpetration in a sample of Native Hawaiian, Samoan and Filipino adolescents. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 2010. Vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 379–399.
- Bandura A. Social foundations of thought and action: A social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. 1986. 617 p.
- Bandura A. Social cognitive theory: An agentic perspective. Annual Review of Psychology, 2001. Vol. 52, pp. 1–26.
- BBC Newsround, Guide to bullying. 2011 [Elektronnyi resurs]. URL: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/13905962 (Accessed: 08.02.2014).
- BeatBullying. 2012 [Elektronnyi resurs]. Available at: http://www.beatbullying.org/ (Accessed: 10.02.2014).
- Carbone-Lopez K., Esbensen F., Brick B.T. Correlates and Consequences of Peer Victimization: Gender Differences in Direct and Indirect Forms of Bullying. Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice, 2010. Vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 332–350.
- Carrasco M.A., Holgado F.P., Rodríguez M.A.et al. Concurrent and across-time relations between mother/father hostility and children’s aggression: A longitudinal study. Journal of Family Violence, 2009. Vol. 24, pp. 213–220.
- Chamratrithirong A., Miller B.A., Byrnes H.F.et al. Spirituality within the family and the prevention of health risk behavior among adolescents in Bangkok, Thailand. Social Science and Medicine, 2010. Vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 1855–1863.
- Chen J.K., Astor R.A. School violence in Taiwan: Examining how western risk factors predict school violence in an Asian culture. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 2010. Vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1388–1410.
- Craig W., Harel-fisch Y., Fogel-grinvaldH., et al. A cross-national profile of bullying and victimization among adolescents in 40 countries. International Journal of Public Health, 2009. Vol. 54, pp. 216–224.
- Dishion T.J., Véronneau M.-H., Myers M.W. Cascading peer dynamics underlying the progression from problem behavior to violence in early to late adolescence Development and Psychopathology, 2010. Vol. 22, pp. 603–619.
- Dukes R., Stein J., Zane J. Effect of relational bullying on attitudes, behavior and injury among adolescent bullies, victims and bully-victims. Social Science Journal, 2009. Vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 671–688.
- Eliot M., Cornell D., Gregory A.et al. Supportive school climate and student willingness to seek help for bullying and threats of violence. Journal of School Psychology, 2010. Vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 533–553.
- Esbensen F.-A., Carson D. Consequences of being bullied: Results from a longitudinal assessment of bullying victimization in a multisite sample of American students. Youth and Society, 2009. Vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 209–233.
- Finkelhor D. Prevalence of child victimization, abuse, crime, and violence exposure J.W. White, M P. Koss, A.E. Kazdin (Orgs.). Violence against women and children: Mapping the terrain. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2011. Vol. 1, pp. 9–29.
- Finkelhor D., Turner H., Ormrod R.et al. Violence, abuse, and crime exposure in a national sample of children and youth. Pediatrics. 2009. Vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 1411–1423.
- Finkelhor D., Turner H.A., Hamby S. Let’s prevent peer victimization, not just bullying. Child Abuse and Neglect, 2012. Vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 271–274.
- Foo L., Margolin G.A multivariate investigation of dating aggression. Journal of Family Violence. 1995. Vol. 10, pp. 351–377.
- Hirschi T. Causes of Delinquency. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1969. 309 р.
- Hong J.S., Espelage D.L. A review of research on bulling and peer victimization in school: An ecological system analysis. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 2012. Vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 311–322.
- Hopkins L., Taylor L., Bowen E.et al. A qualitative study investigating adolescents’ understanding of aggression, bullying and violence. Child and Youth Services Review, 2013. Vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 685–693.
- Krug E.G., Dahlberg L.L., Mercy J.A. et al. (Orgs.). World report on violence and health. Geneva: World Health Organization. 2002. 44 р.
- Laeheem K.,Baka D. Risk Factors Related to Youths’ Violence Behaviors in theThreeSouthern Border Provinces of Thailand. Songklanakarin Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 2009. Vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 897–911.
- Lösel F., Bender D. Emotional and antisocial outcomes of bullying and victimization at school: A follow-up from childhood to adolescence. Journal of Aggression, Conflict and Peace Research, 2011. Vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 89–96.
- Mesch G.S., Fishman J., Eisikovits Z. Attitudes supporting violence and aggressive behavior among adolescents in Israel. The role of family and peers. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 2003. Vol. 18, no.10, pp. 1132–1148.
- Olweus D. Bullying at school and later criminality: findings from three Swedish community samples of males. Criminal Behavior and Mental Health, 2011. Vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 151–156.
- Qin D.B., Way N., Rana M. The «model minority» and their discontent: Examining peer discrimination and harassment of Chinese American immigrant youth. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development, 2008. Vol. 121, pp. 27–42.
- Rothon C., Head J., Klineberg E. et al. Can social support protect bullied adolescents from adverse outcomes? A Prospective study on the effects of bullying on the educational achievement and mental health of adolescents at secondary schools in East London. Journal of Adolescence, 2011. Vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 579–588.
- Sherer P.P., Sherer M. Violence among high school students in Thailand: Cultural perspectives International. Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2011. Vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 867–880.
- Smorti A., Menesini E., Smith P. Parents' definition of children's bullying in a five-country comparison. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 2003. Vol. 34, pp. 417–432.
- Sousa S., Correia T., Ramos E. et al. Violence in adolescents: social and behavioral factors Gaceta Sanitaria, 2010. Vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 47–52.
- Strøm I.F., Thoresen S., Wentzel-Larsen T.et al. Violence, bullying and academic achievement: A study of 15-year-old adolescents and their school environment. Child Abuse and Neglect, 2013. Vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 243–251.
- Violence Prevention: A Mental Health Issue, Tips for Parents and Educators. NASPResourses, 2006. [E-resource], Available at: http://www.nasponline.org/communications/topicalresources.aspx (Accessed: 12.09.2013).
- Wang J., Iannotti R., Luk J., Nansel T. Co-Occurrence of Victimization from Five Subtypes of Bullying: Physical, Verbal, Social Exclusion, Spreading Rumors, and Cyber. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 2010. Vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1103–1112.
- Wang J., Iannotti R.J., Luk J.W. Patterns of adolescent bullying behaviors: Physical, verbal, exclusion, rumor, and cyber. Journal of School Psychology, 2012. Vol. 50, pp. 521–534.
- Williams L.C.A., Stelko-Pereira A.C. Let’s prevent school violence, not just bulling and peer victimization: A commentary on Finklhor, Turner, and Hamby (2012). Child Abuse and Neglect, 2013. Vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 235–236.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 7
Current month: 8
Previous month: 6
Current month: 10