The Relationship of Academic Motivation and Psychological Well-being in Primary School Age
The article presents data on the psychological well-being of primary school-age children with different types of academic motivation. The study involved 87 students of the 3rd-4th grades of Moscow secondary schools (41 boys and 46 girls). The questionnaires "Academic self-regulation" SRQ-A (modification and approbation on the Russian-language sample of T.O.Gordeeva, O.A.Sychev, M.F.Lynch), "Scale of psychological well-being of children aged 8-12 years" PWB-c (adaptation by D.V.Lubovsky, N.S.Milova), the projective technique "Unfinished sentences", allowing to identify indicators of motivation and psychological well-being (positive and negative aspects of children's lives). Positive connections of psychological well–being and components of its structure with intrinsic educational motivation, negative connections - with extrinsic academic motivation are established. It is shown that primary schoolchildren with a high level of psychological well–being are characterized by cognitive motivation, self-development motivation, awareness of the importance of educational activities for themselves, but at the same time - orientation to high academic performance. With a low level of psychological well-being in children, there is a pronounced extrinsic motivation, reflecting primarily the requirements of the teacher, a subjective perception of learning difficulties, a negative attitude to learning, preschool-type motivation with its hedonistic orientation.
Keywords: intrinsic academic motivation, extrinsic academic motivation, components of psychological well-being, positive aspects of life, negative aspects of life, primary schoolchildren
Journal rubric: Developmental Psychology
Article type: scientific article
For citation: Kulagina I.Y., Kravtsova M.A. The Relationship of Academic Motivation and Psychological Well-being in Primary School Age [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psychological-Educational Studies, 2022. Vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 36–51. DOI: 10.17759/psyedu.2022140403. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
1. Andreeva A.D., Moskvitina O.A. Psikhologicheskoe blagopoluchie uchashchikhsya 1-5 klassov v kontekste sovremennoi sotsial'noi situatsii razvitiya [Psychological well-being of students in grades 1-5 in the context of the modern social situation of developmen]. Voprosy obrazovaniya [Educational Studies], 2019, no. 3, pp. 203–223. DOI:10.17323/1814-9545-2019-3-203-223 (In Russ.).
2. Arkhireeva T.V. Dinamika uchebnoi motivatsii detei mladshego shkol'nogo vozrasta [Dynamics of educational motivation of primary school children]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2015. Vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 38–47. (In Russ.).
3. Arkhireeva T.V. Sub'ektivnoe blagopoluchie mladshikh shkol'nikov [Subjective well-being of primary school children]. Vestnik Novgorodskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Novgorod State University], 2017, no. 4(102), pp. 13–16. (In Russ.).
4. Voronkova I.V., Lagutina E.N., Adaskina A.A. Osobennosti uchebnoi motivatsii i ehmotsional'nogo otnosheniya k ucheniyu obuchayushchikhsya 4-kh klassov (na primere traditsionnogo i razvivayushchego obucheniya [Features of educational motivation and emotional attitude to the learning of 4th grade students (on the example of traditional and developmental learning)]. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya = Psychological-Educational Studies, 2022. Vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 32–48. DOI:10.17759/psyedu.2022140103 (In Russ.).
5. Gordeeva T.O., Sychev O.A., Lunkina M.V. Shkol'noe blagopoluchie mladshikh shkol'nikov: motivatsionnye i obrazovatel'nye prediktory [School well-being of younger students: motivational and educational predictors]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2019. Vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 32–42. DOI:10.17759/pse.2019240303 (In Russ.).
6. Danilova E.E. Osobennosti motivatsionnoi sfery sovremennykh rossiiskikh shkol'nikov: soderzhanie, vozrastnaya dinamika, rol' obrazovatel'noi sredy [Features of the motivational sphere of modern Russian schoolchildren: content, age dynamics, the role of the educational environment]. Vestnik Minskogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Minsk University], 2022. Vol. 10, no. 1(38). (In Russ.).
7. Dubrovina I.V. Fenomen «psikhologicheskoe blagopoluchie» v kontekste sotsial'noi situatsii razvitiya [The phenomenon of "psychological well-being" in the context of the social situation of development]. Vestnik prakticheskoi psikhologii obrazovaniya = Bulletin of Psychological Practice in Education, 2020. Vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 9–21. DOI:10.17759/bppe.2020170301 (In Russ.).
8. Zaretskii Yu.V. Sub"ektnaya pozitsiya shkol'nikov po otnosheniyu k uchebnoi deyatel'nosti v raznykh vozrastnykh periodakh. Avtopef. diss. kand. psikhol. nauk [The subjective position of schoolchildren in relation to educational activities in different age periods. PhD (Psychology) Thesis]. Moscow, 2014. 27 p. (In Russ.).
9. Karabanova O.A. Rol' sem'i i shkoly v obespechenii psikhologicheskogo blagopoluchiya mladshikh shkol'nikov [The role of family and school in ensuring the psychological well-being of primary school children]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2019. Vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 16–26. DOI:10.17759/pse.2019240502 (In Russ.).
10. Klein K.G. Tipy motivatsionnoi regulyatsii: teoreticheskaya znachimost' konstrukta i problema ego izmereniya [Types of motivational regulation: the theoretical significance of the construct and the problem of its measurement]. Sovremennaya zarubezhnaya psikhologiya = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2021. Vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 125–131. DOI:10.17759/jmfp.2021100112 (In Russ.).
11. Kramarenko N.S., Efremova D.N. Model' perezhivaniya sub"ektivnogo schast'ya pozhilogo cheloveka [The model of experiencing subjective happiness of an elderly person]. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo oblastnogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Moscow State Regional University], 2021, no. 3, pp. 131–144. URL: www.evestnik-mgo (Accessed 05.08.2022). (In Russ.).
12. Kulagina I.Yu., Gani S.V. Razvitie motivatsii v mladshem shkol'nom vozraste [Development of motivation in primary school age]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2011, no. 2, pp. 102–109. (In Russ.).
13. Leont'ev D.A. Schast'e i sub"ektivnoe blagopoluchie: k konstruirovaniyu ponyatiinogo polya [Happiness and Subjective Well-being: towards the construction of a conceptual Field]. Monitoring obshchestvennogo mneniya: Ehkonomicheskie i sotsial'nye peremeny [Monitoring of Public Opinion: Economic and social changes], 2020, no. 1, pp. 14–37. DOI:10.14515/monitoring.2020.1.02 (In Russ.).
14. Lubovskii D.V., Milova N.S. Diagnostika psikhologicheskogo blagopoluchiya mladshikh shkol'nikov v usloviyakh shkol'nogo i semeinogo obucheniya [Diagnostics of psychological well-being of primary school children in the conditions of school and family education]. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya = Psychological-Educational Studies, 2020. Vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 52–65. DOI:10.17759/psyedu.20201200404 (In Russ.).
15. Platonova Z.N. Osobennosti psikhologicheskogo blagopoluchiya detei mladshego shkol'nogo vozrasta [Features of psychological well-being of primary school children]. Obshchestvo: sotsiologiya, psikhologiya, pedagogika [Society: sociology, psychology, pedagogy], 2017, no. 12, pp. 72–75. DOI:10.24158/spp.2017.12.15 (In Russ.).
16. Prikhozhan A.M. Razrabotka modeli psikhologicheskogo blagopoluchiya podrostkov i yunoshei [Development of a model of psychological well-being of adolescents and young men]. Psikhologiya i shkola [Psychology and school], 2010, no. 2, pp. 3–28. (In Russ.).
17. Fomina T.G., Morosanova V.I. Osobennosti vzaimosvyazi osoznannoi samoregulyatsii, sub"ektivnogo blagopoluchiya i akademicheskoi uspevaemosti u mladshikh shkol'nikov [Features of the relationship between conscious self-regulation, subjective well-being and academic performance in primary school children]. Eksperimental'naya psikhologiya = Experimental Psychology (Russia), 2019. Vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 164—175. DOI:10.17759/exppsy.2019120313 (In Russ.).
18. Tsoi L.V., Kulagina I.YU. Sootnoshenie vneshnei motivatsii i sub"ektnoi pozitsii v uchebnoi deyatel'nosti mladshikh shkol'nikov [The correlation of external motivation and agency position in the educational activity of primary school children]. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya = Psychological-Educational Studies, 2022. Vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 3–16. DOI:10.17759/psyedu.2022140101 (In Russ.).
19. Shehffer D. Deti i podrostki: psikhologiya razvitiya [Children and adolescents: developmental psychology]. Saint-Petersburg: Piter, 2003. 976 p. (In Russ.).
20. Gordeeva T.O., Sychev O.A., Lynch M.F. The Construct Validity of the Russian Version of the Modified Academic Self-Regulation Questionnaire (SRQ-A) among Elementary and Middle School Children. Psychology in Russia: State of the Art, 2020. Vol. 3(13), pp. 16–34. DOI:10.11621/pir.2020.0302
21. Opree S.J., Buijzen M., van Reijmersdal E.A. Development and Validation of the Psychological Well-Being Scale for Children (PWB-c). Societies, 2018. Vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 18–32. DOI:10.3390/soc8010018
22. Ryan R.M., Deci E.L. Self-determination theory: Basic psychological needs in motivation, development and wellness. New York: The Guilford Press, 2017. 756 р.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 71
Current month: 15
Previous month: 33
Current month: 1