In Search of the Subject of Learning Activity
Our research on the interpsychological interaction of teachers and first graders was carried out by microanalysis of two cases when the identical learning tasks were set. This method of clinical research makes it possible to expose the theoretical dimensions of an interpsychological action when (1) both a child and adult solve a new task for the first time, acting on their own accord and on their own initiatives and designs, (2) the nonadditive effect of interpsychologial action can be achieved when the initiatives of all participants intersect and their designs are coordinated. By reconstructing the teacher's intentions and children's interpretations of the task proposed by the teacher, working in the activity-based or traditional paradigm, we identified productive and counterproductive adult actions that can open or block opportunities for children's proactive behavior in constructing new concepts and reduce or enhance the potential of executive, nonreasoning behavior. The birth of children's initiatives when setting a learning task, when elucidated at the level of functional genesis, is seen in ontogenesis as the development of the ability to learn, that is considered as the top manifestation of the subject of learning activity, capable of independently going beyond his or her own knowledge and skills to find new ways of action in novel situations.
Keywords: subject of learning activity, ability to learn, learning task, learning community, concept initiative, intersection of student’s and teacher’s initiatives
Journal rubric: Educational Psychology
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The reported study was carried out within the framework of the state assignment of FGBNU PIRAO: "Psychological factors of development of subjects of educational and professional activity in different environments and types of interactions" (FNRE-2021-0002, EGISU 121122900178-6)
For citation: Obukhova O.L., Zuckerman G.A., Shibanova N.A. In Search of the Subject of Learning Activity. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2022. Vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 80–89. DOI: 10.17759/chp.2022180408. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Bugrimenko E.A. Modeli razvitiya pozitsionnosti deistviya [Models for the development of action positivity]. In L'vovskii V.A. (ed.) Deyatel'nostnyi podkhod v obrazovanii. Kniga 3 [The Activity-Based Approach in Education. Book 3]. Moscow: Nekommercheskoe partnerstvo «Avtorskii klub», 2020, pp. 198-229. (In Russ.).
- Vygotskii L.S. Psikhologiya razvitiya cheloveka [Psychology of human development]. Moscow: Publ. Smysl, 2005. 1136 p. (In Russ.).
- Gorbov S.F., Chudinova E.V. Deistvie modelirovaniya v uchebnoi deyatel’nosti shkol’nikov [The action simulation in educational activity]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Educftion, 2000, no. 5, pp. 96-110 (In Russ.).
- Gusinskii E.N., Turchaninova Yu.I. Tri etapa voskhozhdeniya k professii [Three stages of the ascent to the profession]. Pervoe sentyabrya [September 1st.], 2000, no. 41. URL: https://ps.1sept.ru/article.php?ID=200004104 (Accessed 17.10.2022). (In Russ.).
- Davydov V.V. Teoriya razvivayushchego obucheniya [Theory of developmental education]. Moscow: Intor, 1996. 544 p. (In Russ.).
- Kotliar I.A., Safronova M.A. Tri ponyatiya o real'nosti detskogo razvitiya: obuchaemost', zona blizhaishego razvitiya i skaffolding [Three Concepts Reflecting the Reality of Child Development: Ability to learn, Zone of Proximal Development and Scaffolding]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2011. Vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 74—83. (In Russ.).
- Ostroverkh O.S. Learning Space as a Prerequisite of Agency in Learning Activity. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2022. Vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 16—27. DOI:10.17759/pse.2022270302. (In Russ.).
- Polivanova K.N., Bochaver A.A. Is Students’ Autonomy Possible at Contemporary School? Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2022. Vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 6—15. DOI: 10.17759/pse.2022270301 (In Russ.).
- Protassova E.Y. The Image of a Modern Child in the Psychological and Pedagogical Approaches toward Education and Upbringing of Preschool Children. Sovremennaia zarubezhnaia psikhologiia = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2022. Vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 20—30. DOI:10.17759/jmfp.2022110202. (In Russ.).
- Savenysheva S.S. Emotsional'naya samoregulyatsiya: podkhody k opredeleniyu v zarubezhnoi psikhologii [Emotional self-regulation: approaches to definition in foreign psychology]. Publ. World of science. Pedagogy and psychology, 2019, Vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1-8. URL: https://mir-nauki.com/PDF/09PSMN119.pdf (Accessed 18.10.2022). (In Russ.).
- Slobodchikov V.I. Ocherki psihologii obrazovanija. [Essays on the Psychology of Education]. Birobidzhan: Publ. BGPI, 2005. 270 p. (In Russ.).
- Zuckerman G.A., Venger A.L. Razvitie uchebnoi samostoyatel’nosti [Development of learning independence]. Moscow: Publ. OIRO, 2010. 432 p. (In Russ.).
- Zukerman G.A., Obukhova O.L. Obuchenie gramote po sisteme D.B. El'konina: metodicheskoe posobie k Bukvaryu [Teaching Literacy according to the system of D.B. Elkonin: Methodological Guide to the ABC- book]. Moscow: Publ. BINOM, 2020. 320 p. URL: http://files.lbz.ru/authors/elkonin-davydov/2/mp-gr.pdf (Accessed 18.10.2022). (In Russ.).
- Zukerman G.A., Chudinova E.V. Chto takoe umenie uchit’sya i kak ego izmeryat’? [What is the ability to learn and how to measure it?]. Voprosy psikhologii [Questions of psychology], 2015, no. 1, pp. 3—14. (In Russ.).
- Zuckerman G.A., et al. O kriteriyakh deyatel'nostnoi pedagogiki [On the Criteria of Activity-Based Education]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2019, Vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 105—116. DOI:10.17759/chp.2019150311. (In Russ.).
- El'konin D.B. O strukture uchebnoi deyatel'nosti [On the structure of learning activity]. Izbrannye psihologicheskie trudy [Selected Psychological Works]. Moscow: Publ. Pedagogika, 1989, pp.212-220. (In Russ.).
- Brėdikytė M. Adult participation in the creation of narrative playworlds: challenges and contradictions, International Journal of Early Years Education, 2022, pp.1-15. DOI: 10.1080/09669760.2022.2107895
- Brown A.L. Transforming schools into communities of thinking and learning about serious matters, American Psychologist, no. 52(4), pp. 399—413.
- Eriksson I., Tabachnikova N. “Learning models”: Utilising young students’ algebraic thinking about equations. LUMAT: International Journal on Math, Science and Technology Education, 2022, no. 10(2), pp. 215-238.
- Wood D., Bruner J., Ross G. The role of tutoring in problem solving. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 1976. Vol. 17, pp. 89—100.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 27
Current month: 11
Previous month: 6
Current month: 2