The Current State of The Inclusive Educational Environment in Vocational Educational Institutions of Secondary Vocational Education: a Pilot Study
The paper presents the results of the monitoring study of inclusive educational environment in vocational educational institutions of secondary vocational education based on the developed monitoring program, which involved 10 pilot regions of the Russian Federation. The authors identified the components of inclusive educational environment: organizational and managerial, subject-spatial, programmatic and methodological, informational and social. The study involved three categories of respondents from 94 professional educational organizations: representatives of administration (n=94), teaching staff (n=2332) and students (n=19264), including students with disabilities (n=1208). The method of questioning was used, which was provided by AIS "Monitoring of the inclusive educational environment"; an index analysis of inclusiveness of the educational environment at the regional level and at the level of individual professional educational organizations was carried out. Monitoring allowed to identify resources and deficits in relation to the requirements for inclusive educational environment in professional educational organizations, including not only special educational conditions created for students with disabilities, but also providing opportunities for quality education for all students, taking into account a variety of special educational needs and individual opportunities. The results of the study highlighted a significant contradiction between the high satisfaction of all groups of respondents with the conditions of the educational environment and low values for many indicators within the components of the inclusive educational environment, which may indicate a discrepancy between assessments of objective indicators and subjective perception of the conditions of the educational environment. Another contradiction is the high level of satisfaction and low level of involvement of both teachers and students in those types of activities which provide opportunities for self-actualization in colleges and technical schools, due to which the inclusive nature of the educational environment according to the hypothesis of our study appears. This observation requires further study.
Keywords: monitoring, inclusive educational environment, components, secondary vocational education, resources, deficits
Journal rubric: Empirical Research
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The study was carried out within the framework of the state task of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation dated February 08, 2023 No. 073-00038-23-01 “Expert and analytical, scientific and methodological support for the development of an inclusive educational environment of organizations of general and additional education in the regions of the Russian Federation”.
For citation: Samsonova E.V., Bystrova Yu.A., Manuilova V.V. The Current State of The Inclusive Educational Environment in Vocational Educational Institutions of Secondary Vocational Education: a Pilot Study [Elektronnyi resurs]. Klinicheskaia i spetsial'naia psikhologiia = Clinical Psychology and Special Education, 2023. Vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 192–214. DOI: 10.17759/cpse.2023120209. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Abkovich A.Ya., Levchenko I.Yu. Variativnost' osobykh obrazovatel'nykh potrebnostei detei s narusheniyami oporno-dvigatel'nogo apparata kak osnova proektirovaniya spetsial'nykh usloviĬ obucheniya [Variability of the special educational needs of children with disorders of the musculoskeletal system as the basis for designing special learning conditions]. Defektologiya = Defectology, 2017, vol. 2, pp. 14–21. (In Russ.).
- Alekhina S.V., Samsonova E.V., Shemanov A.Yu. Approach to Modeling Inclusive environment in educational organization. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2022, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 69–84. DOI: 10.17759/ 2022270506 (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Bliznyuk O.A., Senchenkov N.P. Ponyatiya «inklyuzivnaya obrazovatel'naya sreda», «inklyuzivnoe obrazovatel'noe prostranstvo»: skhodstva i razlichiya [The concepts of "inclusive educational environment", "inclusive educational space": Similarities and differences]. Chelovek i obrazovanie = Man and Education, 2020, no. 4 (65), pp. 112–115. (In Russ.).
- Boginskaya Yu.V. Inklyuzivnaya obrazovatel’naya sreda doshkol’nogo obrazovatel’nogo uchrezhdeniya i nachal’noi shkoly: kompleksnyi podkhod [Inclusive educational environment of a preschool institution and a primary school: Сrosscutting approach]. Gumanitarnye nauki = The Humanities, 2015, no. 4 (32), pp. 47–53. (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Booth T., Ainscow M. Pokazateli inklyuzii: prakticheskoe posobie [Index for inclusion: Developing learning and participation in schools. Practical guide]. In M. Vogan (ed.). Moscow: Perspektiva, 2007. 124 p. (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Bystrova Yu.A. The development of social competence in adolescents in the conditions of inclusive education. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2022, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 102–114. DOI: 10.17759/pse.2022270608 (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Golovleva S.M., Yudin V.V. Struktura i komponentnyi sostav obrazovatel'noi sredy [Structure and component composition of the educational environment]. Pedagogicheskoe nasledie K.D. Ushinskogo: materialy nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii “Chteniya Ushinskogo” = Pedagogical heritage K.D. Ushinsky: Materials of the scientific-practical conference “Readings of Ushinsky”, March 4–5, 2014. Part 1. Yaroslavl: Publ. of Yaroslavl State Pedagogical University named after K.D. Ushinsky, 2014, pp. 166–171. (In Russ.).
- Denisova O.A., Lekhanova O.L., Ponikarova V.N. et al. Tekhnologiya formirovaniya inklyuzivnoi kul'tury prepodavatelei [Technology for forming an inclusive culture of teachers]. Vestnik Leningradskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta imeni A.S. Pushkina = Pushkin Leningrad State University Journal, 2022, no. 4, pp. 135–145. (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Kuzmicheva T.V. Pedagogicheskaya refleksiya kak mekhanizm individualizatsii obrazovatel'noi deyatel'nosti obuchayushchikhsya s OVZ [Pedagogical reflection as
a mechanism for the individualization of the educational activities of students with disabilities]. Defektologiya = Defectology, 2020, no. 6, pp. 42–49. (In Russ.).
- Kuzmicheva T.V., Afonkina Yu.A. Povyshenie effektivnosti podgotovki uchitelei k osushchestvleniyu individualizatsii obrazovatel'noi sredy v usloviyakh inklyuzivnogo obrazovaniya [Improving the effectiveness of teacher training for the implementation of individualization of the educational environment in the context of inclusive education]. Nauchnoe obespechenie sistemy povysheniya kvalifikatsii kadrov = Scientific Support for a System of Advanced Training, 2021, no. 4 (49), pp. 135–145. (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Manuilova V.V. Aktual'nye voprosy organizatsii inklyuzivnogo srednego professional'nogo obrazovaniya [Topical issues of organizing inclusive secondary vocational education]. Gumanitarnye nauki = The Humanities, 2017, no. 2 (38), pp. 23–30. (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Manuilova V.V. Realizatsiya meropriyatii po sovershenstvovaniyu sistemy inklyuzivnogo professional'nogo obrazovaniya v sub"ektakh Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Implementation of measures to improve the system of inclusive vocational education in the constituent entities of the Russian Federation]. Gumanitarnye nauki = The Humanities, 2018, no. 2 (42), pp. 20–25. (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Manuilova V.V., Sorokoumova S.N. Spetsial'nye usloviya kak osnova organizatsii i osushchestvleniya inklyuzivnogo srednego professional'nogo obrazovaniya [Special conditions as a basis for the organization and implementation of inclusive secondary vocational education]. Defektologiya = Defectology, 2021, no. 4, pp. 61–70. (In Russ.).
- Ob obrazovanii v Rossiiskoi Federatsii: Federal'nyi zakon Rossiiskoi Federatsii ot 29 dekabrya 2012 g. № 273-FZ [On education in the Russian Federation: Federal Law of the Russian Federation of December 29, 2012 No. 273-FZ]. Rossiiskaya gazeta = Rossiyskaya Gazeta. URL: http://www.rg.ru/2012/12/30/obrazovanie-dok.html (Accessed: 31.10.2022). (In Russ.).
- Popova N.T., Shemanov A.Yu. Tvorcheskie inklyuzivnye praktiki stanovleniya sub”ektnosti: podkhod k kontseptual’nomu obosnovaniyu [Creative inclusive practices of subjectivity formation: An approach to conceptual substantiation]. Vestnik Permskogo universiteta. Seriya: Filosofiya. Psikhologiya. Sotsiologiya = Perm University Herald. Psychology. Sociology, 2021, no. 3, pp. 376—385. DOI: 10.17072/2078-7898/2021-3-376-385 (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Romanenkova D.F. Realizatsiya meropriyatii po obespecheniyu dostupnosti srednego professional'nogo obrazovaniya dlya invalidov i lits s ogranichennymi vozmozhnostyami zdorov'ya v rossiiskoi federatsii [Implemantation of the measures on special needs secondary vocational education accessibility in the Russian Federation]. Innovatsionnoe razvitie professional'nogo obrazovaniya = Innovative Development of Vocational Education, 2016, no. 3 (11), pp. 25–30. (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Samsonova E.V., Kutepova E.N., Alekseeva M.N. Spetsifika inklyuzivnoi obrazovatel'noi sredy v organizatsiyakh srednego professional'nogo obrazovaniya [Special features of the inclusive educational environment in organizations of secondary vocational education]. Professional'noe obrazovanie v sovremennom mire = Professional Education in the Modern World, 2022, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 714–722. DOI: 10.20913/2618-7515-2022-4-12 (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Sozdanie inklyuzivnoi obrazovatel'noi sredy v obrazovatel'nykh organizatsiyakh: metodicheskie rekomendatsii dlya rukovodyashchikh i pedagogicheskikh rabotnikov obshcheobrazovatel'nykh organizatsii [Creating an inclusive educational environment in education organizations: Teaching guidelines for administrative and educational workers]. S.V. Alekhina, E.V. Samsonova (eds.). Moscow: Publ. of MSUPE, 2022. 151 p. (In Russ.).
- Sozdanie inklyuzivnoi sredy v obrazovatel'nykh organizatsiyakh srednego professional'nogo obrazovaniya: metodicheskie rekomendatsii [Creation of an inclusive environment in educational institutions of secondary vocational education: Methodological recommendations]. E.N. Kutepova, E.V. Samsonova (eds.). Moscow: Publ. of MSUPE, 2022. 82 p. (In Russ.).
- Khitryuk V.V. Inklyuzivnaya gotovnost' pedagogov: genezis, fenomenologiya, kontseptsiya formirovaniya: monografiya [Inclusive readiness of educators: Genesis, phenomenology, concept of formation]. Belarus, Baranovichi: Publ. of BarSU, 2015. 276 p. (In Russ.).
- Shemanov A.Yu., Samsonova E.V., Bystrova Yu.A., et al. Podkhod k otsenke osobennostei professional'noi kompetentnosti t'yutora v usloviyakh inklyuzivnogo obrazovaniya: pilotnoe issledovanie [An approach to assessing the features of a tutor's professional competence in an inclusive education: A pilot study]. Klinicheskaya i spetsial'naya psikhologiya = Clinical Psychology and Special Education, 2022, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 233–263. DOI: 10.17759/cpse.2022110410 (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Yasvin V.A. Shkol'naya sreda kak predmet izmereniya: ehkspertiza, proektirovanie, upravlenie. [School environment as a subject of measurement: Expertise, design, management]. Moscow: Narodnoe obrazovanie, 2019. 448 p. (In Russ.).
- Adamopoulou E., Douglas S. Capacity building for inclusive classrooms: The living together training. Creating an Inclusive School Environment. London, UK: British Council, 2019. P. 33–46.
- Bystrova Yu., Kovalenko V., Kazachiner O. Social and pedagogical support of children with disabilities in conditions of general secondary educational establishments. Journal for Educators, Teachers and Trainers, 2021, vol. 12 (3), pp. 101–114. DOI: 10.47750/jett.2021.12.03.010
- Guo Y., Sawyer B.E., Justice L.M., et al. Quality of the literacy environment in inclusive early childhood special education classrooms. Journal of Early Intervention, 2013, vol. 35, no. 1, рр. 40–60. DOI: 10.1177/1053815113500343
- Jose J.P., Shanuga C. Inclusive properties of school interactional milieu: Implications for identity construction and social exclusion. Contemporary Voice of Dalit, 2018, vol. 10 (1), pp. 98–113. DOI: 10.1177/2455328X17745174
- Love H.R., Horn E. Definition, context, quality: Current issues in research examining high-quality inclusive education. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 2021, vol. 40 (4), рр. 204–216. DOI: 10.1177/0271121419846342
- Vislie L. From integration to inclusion: focusing global trends and changes in the western European societies. European Journal of Special Needs Education, 2003, vol. 18,
1, рр. 17–35. DOI: 10.1080/0885625082000042294
- Wilson C., Woolfson L., Durkin K. School environment and mastery experience as predictors of teachers’ self-efficacy beliefs towards inclusive teaching. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 2020, vol. 24, no. 2, рр. 218–234. DOI: 10.1080/13603116.1455901
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 45
Current month: 3
Previous month: 14
Current month: 2