Relationship between the “Self” System and Students’ Regulatory Qualities during Educational Activity
The article is devoted to the study of the “Self” system’s role in the mental state’s self-regulation. The research is based on the concept of states mental regulation and the system-functional approach to the human psychic. According to the empirical research the specifics of the relationship between the “Self” system components and the factors combining various students’ regulatory qualities (self-regulation methods, copings, regulatory abilities, social self-control) are shown. The closest connections between regulatory qualities and the "Self" system components form, on the one hand, an integral indicator of the cognitive aspect of self—regulation, on the other - the self-esteem of personal qualities, self-confidence, as well as the cognitive component of the self-attitude. The features of the interrelation of the “Self” system components and the effectiveness of mental states self-regulation in various forms of educational activity (lecture, seminar, exam) are revealed. Decreasing the level of self-regulation effectiveness with increasing intensity of the educational situation is established. Consequently, the importance of the “Self” system in the regulation of mental states is shown. Which is revealed through the organization of relationships with regulatory qualities, the effectiveness of self-regulation, the choice of regulating ways in various life situations. The results of the study can be useful for psychologists developing techniques for mental states regulation supporting in various conditions of life.
Keywords: educational activity, learning situations, mental states, self-regulation, "Self" system
Journal rubric: Psychology of States
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The reported study was funded by Russian Science Foundation, project number23 18 00232.
For citation: Prokhorov A.O., Kartasheva M.I., Yusupov M.G. Relationship between the “Self” System and Students’ Regulatory Qualities during Educational Activity. Eksperimental'naâ psihologiâ = Experimental Psychology (Russia), 2023. Vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 139–150. DOI: 10.17759/exppsy.2023160309. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Gudkova E.V. Modelirovanie teoreticheskogo konstrukta «Global'noe otnoshenie» [The global self-evaluation and global world-evaluation: theoretical model of constructs]. Vestnik YuUrGU Psikhologiya = Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series “Psychology”, 2010. No. 27 (203), pp. 27—34. (In Russ.).
- Kryukova T.L., Kuftyak E.V. Oprosnik sposobov sovladaniya (adaptatsiya metodiki WCQ) [Coping methods questionnaire (adaptation of the WCQ methodology)]. Zhurnal prakticheskogo psikhologa = Journal of practical psychologist, 2007. No. 3, pp. 93—112. (In Russ.).
- Morosanova V.I., Konoz E.M. Stilevaya samoregulyatsiya povedeniya cheloveka [Stylistic self-regulation of human behavior] // Voprosy psikhologii = Questions of psychology, 2000. No. 2, pp. 118—127. (In Russ.).
- Nazarov A.N., Prokhorov A.O. Metodika izucheniya effektivnosti samoregulyatsii psikhicheskikh sostoyanii [Methods for studying the effectiveness of mental states self-regulation] // Materialy Tret'ei Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoi konferentsii “Psikhologiya sostoyanii cheloveka: aktual'nye teoreticheskie i prikladnye problem” (Kazan', 8—10 noyabrya 2018 g.) [Proceedings of the Third International Scientific Conference “Psychology of human states: actual theoretical and applied problems”]. Kazan: Kazan University Publ., 2018. Pp. 361—364. (In Russ.).
- Nikiforov G.S. Samokontrol' cheloveka [Human self-control]. Leningrad: Publ LGU, 1989. 192 p.
- Pantileev S.R. Metodika issledovaniya samootnosheniya [Methodology for the study of self-attitude]. Moscow: Smysl, 1993. 32 p. (In Russ.).
- Peisakhov N.M. Zakonomernosti dinamiki psikhicheskikh yavlenii [Patterns of the dynamics of mental phenomena]. Kazan: Kazan University Publ, 1984. 235 p. (In Russ.).
- Prokhorov A.O. Psikhologiya neravnovesnykh sostoyanii [Psychology of unbalanced states]. Moscow: IP RAN Publ., 1998. 152 p. (In Russ.).
- Prokhorov A.O. Strukturno-funktsional'naya organizatsiya mental'noi regulyatsii psikhicheskikh sostoyanii [Structural and functional organization of mental states regulation] Psikhologicheskii zhurnal = Psychological journal, 2020. Vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 5—17. DOI:10.31857/S020595920007852-3 (In Russ.).
- Berger A. Self-Regulation: Brain, Cognition, and Development (Human Brain Development Series). Washington, D.C. American Psychological Association, 2011.
- Carver C.S., Scheier M.F. On the Self-regulation of Behavior. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- Cook-Greuter S., Soulen J. The Developmental Perspective in Integral Counseling. Counseling and Values, 2007. № 51(3), pp. 180—192. DOI:10.1002/j.2161-007X.2007.tb00077.x
- Drozdikova-Zaripova A.R., Konsbaeva R.I. Structural Components of the Self-Concept of Adopted Adolescents. HELIX, 2018. Vol. 8(1), pp. 2975—2982. DOI:10.29042/2018-2975-2982
- Gross J.J. The Extended Process Model of Emotion Regulation: Elaborations, Applications, and Future Directions. Psychological Inquiry. An International Journal for the Advancement of Psychological Theory, 2015. Vol. 26(1), pp. 130—137. DOI:10.1080/1047840X.2015.989751
- Kuhl J. Action Control: The Maintenance of Motivational States. In F. Halish & J. Kuhl (Eds.). Motivation, Intention, and Volition. Berlin: Springer. 1987. Pp. 279—291.
- Lazarus R.S. Stress and Emotion: A New Synthesis. New York: Springer, 1999.
- Leary M.R., Tangney J.P. The self as an organizing construct in the behavioral and social Sciences. In M.R. Leary & J.P. Tangney (Eds.). Handbook of Self and Identity. New York: The Guilford Press. 2012. Pp. 1—18.
- Pulkkinen L. Life Style in Personality Development. European Journal of Personality, 1992. No. 6(2), pp. 139—155.
- Rosa-Gonçalves D., Bernardes M., Costa L. Quality of Life and Functional Capacity in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis — Cross-sectional Study. Reumatología Clínica, 2018. No. 14(6), pp. 360—366.
- Schmeichel B.J., Baumeister R.F. Self-regulatory Strength. In R.F. Baumeister & K.D. Vohs (Eds.). Handbook of Self-regulation: Research, Theory, and Applications. New York: The Guilford Press. 2004. Pp. 64—82.
- Strauman T.J., Eddington K.M. Treatment of Depression from a Self-Regulation Perspective: Basic Concepts and Applied Strategies in Self-System Therapy. Cognitive Therapy Research, 2017. No. 41(1), pp. 1—15. DOI:10.1007/s10608-016-9801-1
- Tesser A., Crepaz N., Beach S.R., Cornell D., & Collins J.C. Confluence of Self-esteem Regulation Mechanisms: On Integrating the Self-Zoo. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 2000. No. 26, pp. 1476—1489.
- Wehrle K., Fasbender U. Self-Concept. In V. Zeigler-Hill & T. Shackelford (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Personality and Individual Differences. Berlin: Springer. 2019. DOI:10.1007/978-3-319-28099-8_2001-1
- Zelazo P.D., Frye D. Cognitive Complexity and Control: A Theory of the Development of Deliberate Reasoning and Intentional Action. In M. Stamenov (Ed.). Language Structure, Discourse and the Access to Consciousness. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. 1997. Pp. 113—153.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 47
Current month: 2
Previous month: 22
Current month: 1