Social Creativity and Context: Perspectives of Research
The relevance of the study of social creativity is associated with the optimization of interpersonal interaction in various fields of activity. The article examines modern foreign theories of creativity. The article analyzes the representation of the social context in approaches to the study of creativity in general, and social creativity in particular. Attention is paid to the causes of the generation of negative ideas that cause intentional and unintentional harm in social interaction. The results of a pilot study of the influence of social context on prosocial, negative and harmful creativity are presented. The revealed effect is discussed in a pilot study in which high school students (N = 46) and university students (N = 50) took part. The study was conducted in two stages: the first one -before the start of the special operation in January-early February 2022, the second one — after the start of the special operations in March-April 2022 The questionnaires «Tolerance Index" and "Moral Identity" were used, as well as three tasks for diagnosing social creativity in situations with positive and negative connotations. The hypothesis that different types of social creativity manifest themselves differently in different social contexts has been confirmed: against the background of a threatening social context, there may be an increase in asocial creativity and a decrease in prosocial creativity. Against the background of a threatening social context, the effect of changing the nature of the relationship between moral identity and ethnic and social tolerance was revealed. The conclusion is made that the cause-and-effect relationships in the theories and concepts of creativity are much more complicated than it can be assumed. A refined scheme of cause-and-effect relationships in approaches considering creativity as a result of the interaction of personality, tasks and situations is proposed. The results obtained in the study are reflected in the working scheme of the dynamic model of social creativity.
Keywords: social creativity, asocial creativity, social context, special military operation, tolerance, moral identity, dynamic model of social creativity
Journal rubric: Legal Psychology
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The reported study was funded by Russian Science Foundation project number № 23-28-00236, https://rscf.ru/project/23-28-00236.
Acknowledgements. The author would like to express their gratitude to the MSUPE students Yu.I. Zharinova and D.D. Mukovnina for the assistance in collection of empirical data.
For citation: Meshkova N.V. Social Creativity and Context: Perspectives of Research [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sovremennaia zarubezhnaia psikhologiia = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2023. Vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 100–108. DOI: 10.17759/jmfp.2023120111. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Meshkova N.V., Enikolopov S.N., Mitina O.V., Meshkov I.A. Adaptatsiya oprosnika «Povedencheskie osobennosti antisotsial'noi kreativnosti» [Adaptation of the malevolent creativity behavior scale]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological science and education, 2018. Vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 25—40. DOI:10.17759/pse.2018230603 (In Russ.).
- Enikolopov S.N., Meshkova N.V. Predubezhdennost' v kontekste svoistv lichnosti [Prejudicialness in the context os personality characteristics] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologicheskii zhurnal = Psikhologicheskii zhurnal, 2010. Vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 35—46. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=15110655 (Accessed 24.11.22). (In Russ.).
- Kosenkova N.N., Meshkova N.V. Samootsenka i vidy kreativnosti u podrostkov: svyaz' i prediktory [Self-esteem and types of creativity in adolescents: connection and predictors]. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Seriya 14. Psikhologiya [Bulletin of Moscow University. Series 14. Psychology], 2020, no. 2, pp. 45—61. DOI:10.11621/vsp.2020.02.03 (In Russ.).
- Meshkova N.V., Enikolopov S.N. Kreativnost' i deviantnost': svyaz' i vzaimodei-stvie. [Creativity and deviance: connection and interaction]. Psikhologiya. Zhurnal Vysshei shkoly ekonomiki = Psychology. Journal of the Higher School of Economics, 2018. Vol. 15. no. 2, pp. 279—290. DOI:10.17323/1813-8918-2018-2-279-290 (In Russ.).
- Meshkova N.V., Enikolopov S.N. Kreativnost' i deviantnost': sovremennoe sostoyanie problemy v psikhologii [Creativity and Deviance: The Present State of the Issue in Psychology]. Psikhologiia i pravo = Psychology and Law, 2020. Vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 86—107. DOI:10.17759/psylaw.2020100307(In Russ.).
- Soldatova G.U., Kravtsova O.A., Khulaev O.E., Shaigerova L.A. Psikhodiagnostika tolerantnosti [Psychodiagnostics of tolerance]. In Soldatova G.U., Shaigerova L.A. (eds.), Psikhologi o migrantakh i migratsii v Rossii: inf.-analit byulleten' [Psychologists about migrants and migration in Russia: information-analyst bulletin]. Moscow: Smysl, 2002, no. 4, pp. 59—65. (In Russ.).
- Hao N., Tang M., Yang J., Wang Q., Runco M.A. A New Tool to Measure Malevolent Creativity: The Malevolent Creativity Behavior Scale. Frontiers in Psychology, 2016. Vol. 7, article ID 682, 7 p. DOI:10.3389/fpsyg.2016.00682
- Aquino K.F., Reed A. The Self-importance of Moral Identity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2002. Vol. 83(6), pp. 1423—1440. DOI:10.1037//0022-35220.127.116.113
- Cropley D.H., Cropley A.J. Engineering creativity: A systems concept of functional creativity. In Kaufman J.C., Baer J. (eds.), Creativity Across Domains: Faces of the Muse. N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., 2005, pp. 169—185.
- Glăveanu V. Rewriting the language of creativity: The 5A’s framework. Review of General Psychology, 2013. Vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 69—81. DOI:10.1037/a0029528
- Glăveanu V.P. A sociocultural theory of creativity: Bridging the social, the material, and the psychological. Review of General Psychology, 2020. Vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 335—354. DOI:10.1177/1089268020961763
- Kapoor H., Kaufman J.C. The evil within: The AMORAL model of dark creativity. Theory & Psychology, 2022. Vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 467—490. DOI:10.1177/09593543221074326
- Kapoor H., Khan A. Creativity in Context: Presses and Task Effects in Negative Creativity. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts. Advance online publication. 2019. Vol. 13(3), pp. 314—321. DOI:10.1037/aca0000183
- Mayer J., Mussweiler T. Suspicious spirits, flexible minds: When distrust enhances creativity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2011. Vol. 101(6), pp. 1262—1277. DOI:10.1037/a0024407
- Rhodes M. An analysis of creativity. The Phi Beta Kappen, 1961. Vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 305—310.
- Runco M.A. Creative morality: Intentional and unconventional. Creativity Research Journal, 1993. Vol. 6(1—2), pp. 17—28. DOI:10.1080/10400419309534463
- Runco M.A. Hot topic 2. The dark side of creativity: Potential better left unfulfilled. In Plucker J.A. (ed.), Creativity and innovation: Theory, research, and practice. London: Prufrock Press, 2017. Р. 49—59.
- Simonton D.K. Creativity. Cognitive, personal, developmental and social aspects. American Psychologist, 2000. Vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 151—158. DOI:10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.151
- Simonton D.K. Genius, creativity, and leadership: Historiometriec inquiries. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1984. 231 p.
- Sternberg R.J., Karami S. An 8P theoretical framework for understanding creativity and theories of creativity. Journal of Creative Behavior, 2022. Vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 55—78. DOI:10.1002/jocb.516
- Tromp C., Sternberg R. Dynamic Creativity: A Person × Task × Situation Interaction Framework. The Journal of Creative Behavior, 2022.Vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 1—13. DOI:10.1002/jocb.551
- Baas M., Roskes M., Koch S., Cheng Y., De Dreu C.K.W. Why social threat motivates malevolent creativity. Personality & Social Psychology Bulletin, 2019. Vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 1590—1602. DOI:10.1177/0146167219838551
- Zheng X., Qin X., Liu X., Liao H. Will Creative Employees Always Make Trouble? Investigating the Roles of Moral Identity and Moral Disengagement. Journal of business ethics, 2019. Vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 653—672. DOI:10.1007/s10551-017-3683-3
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 18
Current month: 40
Previous month: 4
Current month: 7