Exploring self-guided work of the MSUPE Distance learning faculty students
The article presents results of qualitative research on self-guided work particularities on the sample of undergraduate psychology students at the distance learning faculty of the Moscow State University of Psychology and Education. The sample included 85 students of the first to the seventh semesters at the age of 18 to 50. Firstly, constituents of distance learning, the concept of “self-guided work” and its effectiveness requirements were defined. Particular attention was paid to investigation of cognitive styles phenomenon. The research goal was to elaborate guidelines for students, teaching personnel, and distance teaching administrators. Particular structural and psychological aspects of self-guided work, as well as students’ motivation and cognitive patterns were studied. The analysis was held on disparity of academic progress rates and dissimilarity of coping strategies as a function of cognitive patterns and motivation. A set of recommendations was put forward, and possible direction for further research outlined.
Keywords: distance learning, e-learning, self-guided work, self-dependence, self-control, cognitive style, field dependence-independence, reflective–impulsive style, achievement motivation, failure avoidance motivation
Journal rubric: Educational Psychology
For citation: Kasatkina O.V. Exploring self-guided work of the MSUPE Distance learning faculty students. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2009. Vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 14–19. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Andreev A. A. K voprosu ob opredelenii ponjatija «Distancionnoe obuchenie»// Distancionnoe obrazovanie. 1997. № 4.
- Brusnecova T. N. Issledovanie kognitivnyh stilej uchashihsja v avtomatizirovannoj sisteme obuchenija / Voprosy psihologii. 1984. № 4.
- Druzhinin A. E. Individual'no-psihologicheskie osobennosti poznavatel'nyh processov kak faktor uspeshnosti obuchenija. Avtoref. diss. ... kand. psihol. nauk L., 1986.
- Zimnjaja I. A. Pedagogicheskaja psihologija. M., 1999.
- Zinov'ev S. I. Uchebnyj process v vysshej shkole. M., 1968.
- Ivanova N. L. Vzaimosvjaz' interesov i kognitivnyh stilej v professional'nom samoopredelenii starshih shkol'nikov. Avtoref. ... diss. kand. psihol. nauk. L., 1988.
- Okolelov O. P. Distancionnoe obuchenie: sushnost', didakticheskie osobennosti, tehnologii // Distancionnoe obrazovanie. 1999. № 3.
- Osnickij A. K. Psihologija samostojatel'nosti. M.-Nal'chik, 1996.
- Slastenin V. A. Kul'tura umstvennogo truda studentov. M., 1994.
- Claus G. Individuelle Besonderheiten von Schulern und Lerner im Unterricht (1980 a. № 7 (8).
- Kagan J. Individual variation in cognitive processes. P.H. Mussen (ed). Manual of Child Psychology. №7. 1970.
- Messer S. B. Reflection – implsivity // Psychological bulletin. 1976. V. 83. № 6.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 3
Current month: 5
Previous month: 1
Current month: 0