Potential of Professional Thinking and Emotional Burnout in the Professions of Socionomic Type
The analysis of specific features of professional thinking and emotional exhaustion among teachers and doctors in the context of COVID-19 pandemic. The growing demand for practical social psychological support of members of “person to person” professions during the unstable epidemiological situation due to COVID-19 have preconditioned the consideration of emotional exhaustion in the terms of interconnection with professional thinking that is able to contribute new professional and personal meaning to the activity process, thus becoming the cognitive resource that balances the levels and components of emotional exhaustion. The method of content analysis and expert evaluation alongside with mathematical statistical methods, such as correlation method of Charles Spearman and Student’s t-distribution, were used. Participants: 55 people, the members of professions of socionomic type, 25 teachers and 30 doctors, length of time worked – 10-25 years, men – 30%, women – 70%. The methods of studying the specific features of emotional exhaustion (V.V. Boyko; Christina Maslach, S. Jackson, adapted by N.E. Vodopiyanova) and components of professional thinking (the author’s method of self-analysis of the problem situation by I.V. Serafimovich and M.M. Kashapov). It has been demonstrated that suprasituatedness of thinking is negatively correlated with emotional burnout, while situatedness is positively correlated with it. It has been specified that the emotional burnout is more pronounced in doctors. It has been identified that adequacy and sufficiency of analysis of a problem situation are positively associated with the self-esteem of professional success and self-satisfaction, whereas validity is associated with the capability to cope with psychologically destructive circumstances. Under the high efficiency of analysis emotional involvement reduces, and when increasing the depth of analysis emotional burnout enhances. The obtained results about the partial connection of components of professional thinking and signs of emotional exhaustion can be used as the arguments for the author’s position of the ability of usage of thinking as a cognitive resource for solving practical problems.
Keywords: professional thinking, members of socionomic type of professions, doctors, teachers, cognitive resource, emotional exhaustion
Journal rubric: Psychology of Education
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The research was carried out at the expense of the grant of the Russian Science Foundation, project number 22-28-00602, https://rscf.ru/en/project/22-28-00602/
Acknowledgements. The author would like to pay special thankfulness to professor V.D. Shadrikov for an expert assessment, to M.M. Kashapov, the scientific consultant, for his assistance in the realization of the project, the reviewers whose critical assessment of the helped to significantly improve the quality article
For citation: Serafimovich I.V. Potential of Professional Thinking and Emotional Burnout in the Professions of Socionomic Type [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psychological-Educational Studies, 2023. Vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 56–72. DOI: 10.17759/psyedu.2023150104. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Asmolov A.G., Ivannikov V.A., Magomed-Eminov M.Sh., Guseinov A.A., Dontsov A.I., Bratus' B.S. Kul'turno-deyatel'nostnaya psikhologiya v ekstremal'noi situatsii: vyzov pandemii. Materialy obsuzhdeniya [Elektronnyi resurs] [Cultural and activity psychology in an extreme situation: the challenge of a pandemic]. Chelovek [Human Being], 2020. 31, no. 4, pp. 7–40. Available at: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=43983480 (Accessed 2.02.2021). (In Russ.).
- Berdyaeva I.A., Voit L.N. Sindrom emotsional'nogo vygoraniya u vrachei razlichnykh spetsial'nostei [Syndrome of emotional burning out in doctors of various specialties]. Dal'nevostochnyi meditsinskii zhurnal [Far Eastern medical journal], 2012, no. 1, pp. 117–120. (In Russ.).
- Bodrov V.A. Informacionnyj stress: Uchebnoe posobie dlya vuzov [Information stress]. Moscow: PER SE , 2000. 352 p. (In Russ.).
- Boiko V.V. Energiya emotsii v obshchenii: vzglyad na sebya i na drugikh [The energy of emotions in communication: a look at yourself and others]. Moscow: «Filin» Publ., 1996. 472 р. (In Russ.).
- Vodop'yanova N.E. Protivodeistvie sindromu vygoraniya v kontekste resursnoi kontseptsii cheloveka [Counteraction to the burnout syndrome in the context of the human resource concept]. Vestnik SPbGU. Seriya 16: Psihologiya. Pedagogika [Vestnik SPbSU. Psychology], 2011, no. 2, pp. 38–50. (In Russ.).
- Vyzovy pandemii COVID-19: psikhicheskoe zdorov'e, distantsionnoe obrazovanie, internet-bezopasnost': sb. materialov [Challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic: mental health, distance education, Internet security 2]. In Rubtsov V.V. (eds.). Moscow: Moscow State University of Psychology & Education Publ., 2020. 480 p. (In Russ.).
- Gil'manov S.A. Professional'naya spetsifika ponyatiinogo myshleniya [Professional Specificity Of Conceptual Thinking]. Obrazovanie i nauka [The Education and Science Journal], Vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 32–51. DOI:10.17853/1994-5639-2017-9-32-51 (In Russ.).
- Gil'manshina S.I., Vil'keev D.V. Formirovanie professional'nogo myshleniya uchitelya [Formation of the teacher's professional thinking]. Vysshee obrazovanie v Rossii [Higher Education in Russia], 2002, no. 5, pp. 107–100. (In Russ.).
- Enikolopov S.N., Kaz'mina O.Yu., Vorontsova O.Yu., Medvedeva T.I., Boiko O.M. Dinamika psikhologicheskikh reaktsii na nachal'nom etape pandemii COVID-19 [Dynamics of Psychological Reactions at the Start of the Pandemic of COVID-19]. Psihologo-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya = Psychological-Educational Studies, Vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 108–126. DOI:10.17759/psyedu.2020120207 (In Russ.).
- Zabrodin Yu.M. Psikhologiya upravleniya chelovecheskimi resursami (ocherki teorii psikhicheskoi regulyatsii povedeniya [Psychology of human resource management (essays on the theory of mental regulation of behavior)]. Moscow: Moscow State University of Psychology & Education , 2017. 224 p. (In Russ.).
- Zeer E.F., Symanyuk E.E., Ryabukhina A.A., Borisov G.I. Psikhologicheskie osobennosti professional'nogo razvitiya v pozdnei zrelosti [Psychological Peculiarities Of Professional Development In Late Adulthood]. Obrazovanie i nauka [The Education and Science Journal], Vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 75–107. DOI:10.17853/1994-5639-2020-8-75-107 (In Russ.).
- Karpov A.V. Metakognitivnaya spetsifika obrazovatel'nykh situatsii v pedagogicheskoi deyatel'nosti [Metacognitive specificity of educational situations in pedagogical activity]. Mir psihologii [World of psychology], 2020. Vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 12–23. (In Russ.).
- Kashapov M.M., Serafimovich I.V. Nadsituativnoe myshlenie kak kognitivnyi resurs sub"ekta v usloviyakh professionalizatsii [Supra-Situational Thinking As Person’s Cognitive Resource In The Context Of Professionalization]. Psihologicheskij zhurnal [Psychological Journal], Vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 43–52. DOI:10.31857/S020595920009326-4 (In Russ.).
- Kryukova T.L., Ekimchik O.A., Opekina T.P., Shipova N.S. Stress i sovladanie v sem'e v period samoizolyatsii vo vremya pandemii COVID-19 [Stress and Coping in a Self-Isolated Family during COVID-19 Pandemic]. Social'naya psihologiya i obshchestvo = Social psychology and society, Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 120–134. DOI:10.17759/sps.2020110409 (In Russ.).
- Kulyutkin Yu.N., Sukhobskaya G.S. Individual'nye razlichiya v myslitel'noi deyatel'nosti vzroslykh uchashchikhsya [Individual differences in the mental activity of adult students]. Moscow: Pedagogika, 112 p. (In Russ.).
- Kozulin A. Zachem uchitelyam obuchat'sya metakognitivnym navykam? [Why Teachers Need Metacognition Training?]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, Vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 59–64. DOI:10.17759/chp.2021170206 (In Russ.).
- Lukovtseva Z.V. Pandemiya COVID-19 kak sotsial'nyi stressor: faktory psikhologo-psikhiatricheskogo riska (po materialam zarubezhnykh issledovanii) [The COVID-19 Pandemic as a Social Stressor: Psychological and Psychiatric Risk Factors (Based on Foreign Studies)]. Social'naya psihologiya i obshchestvo = Social psychology and society, Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 13–25. DOI:10.17759/sps.2020110402 (In Russ.).
- Orel V.E. Sindrom «Psikhicheskogo vygoraniya» i stilevye osobennosti povedeniya i deyatel'nosti professionala [Syndrome Of «Mental Burning-Out» And Behavior And Activity Style Features Of Professional]. Sibirskij psihologicheskij zhurnal [Siberian Journal Of Psychology], 2006, no. 23, pp. 33–39. (In Russ.).
- Osipova E.K. Struktura pedagogicheskogo myshleniya uchitelya [The structure of the teacher's pedagogical thinking]. Voprosy psihologii [Voprosy psihologii], 1987, 5, pp. 144–146. (In Russ.).
- Pryazhnikov N.S., Ozhogova E.G. Emotsional'noe vygoranie i lichnostnye deformatsii v psikhologo-pedagogicheskoi deyatel'nosti [Emotional burnout and personal deformations in psychological and pedagogical activity]. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Seriya 14. Psihologiya [MSU Vestnik], 2014, no. 4, pp. 33–43. (In Russ.).
- Tolstykh N.N. Sotsial'naya psikhologiya razvitiya: integratsiya idei L.S. Vygotskogo i A.V. Petrovskogo [Social Psychology of Development: Integrating the Ideas of L.S. Vygotsky and A.V. Petrovsky]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2020. Vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 25–34. DOI:10.17759/chp.2020160103 (In Russ.).
- Shadrikov V.D. Myshlenie kak problema psikhologii [Thinking as a problem of psychology]. Vysshee obrazovanie segodnya [Higher education today], 2018, no. 10, pp. 2–11. DOI:10.25586/rnu.het.18.10.p.02 (In Russ.).
- Yas'ko B.A. Klinicheskoe myshlenie v strukture professional'nogo myshleniya vracha [Clinical thinking in the structure of a doctor's professional thinking]. YUzhno-rossijskij zhurnal social'nyh nauk [South Russian Journal of Social Sciences], 2008, no. 4, pp. 82–91. (In Russ.).
- Al-Ali T., Akour M.M., Al-Masri E., Mizaghobian A.A.H., Ghaith S. Psychological Burnout among Professionals Working with Children with Motor Disabilities. Psychology in Russia: State of the Art, Vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 69–85. DOI:10.11621/pir.2021.0106
- Alkhamees А.А., Assiri Н., Alharbi H.Y., Nasser А., Alkhamees М.А. Burnout and depression among psychiatry residents during COVID-19 pandemic. Human Resources for Health, 2021, 19:46. DOI:10.1186/s12960-021-00584-1
- Al-Shami K., Al-Smadi S. The level of burnout among special education teachers compared to teachers working in public school in the province of Irbid in relationship to some variables. Journal of Education, Vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 189–226.
- Baalen S.V., Carusi A., Sabroe I., Kiely D. A social‐technological epistemology of clinical decision‐making as mediated by imaging. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, Vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 949–958. DOI:10.1111/jep.12637
- Chaukos D., Chad-Friedman E., Mehta D.H., Byerly L., Celik A., McCoy T.H., Denninger J.W. Risk and resilience factors associated with resident burnout. Academic Psychiatry, Vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 189–194. DOI:10.1007/s40596-016-0628-6
- Haider I.I., Tiwana F., Tahir S.M. Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on adult mental health. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences, 2020. Vol. 36 (COVID19-S4), pp. 90–94. DOI:12669/pjms.36.COVID19-S4.2756
- Holmes E.A., O'Connor C., Perry V.H. et al. Multidisciplinary research priorities for the COVID-19 pandemic: a call for action for mental health science. Lancet Psychiatry, 2020. Vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 547–560. DOI:10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30168-1
- Jung C.G. Psychological Types. The Collected Works of C.G. Jung. G. Adler, R.F.C. Hull, C.G. Jung, H.G. Baynes. Great Britain: Princeton University Press, Vol. 6. 617 р.
- Liao Y., Zeng Q., Xu Y.C., Yang Q., Ye J. Transforming Practice through Reflection in Patient Education. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Vol. 6, pp. 1021–1026. DOI:10.17265/2328-2150/2018.12.004
- Maslach C., Schaufeli W.B., Leiter M.P. Job Burnout. Annual Review Psychol, 2001. Vol. 52, 397–422.
- McElroy T., Seta J.J. Framing effects: An analytic–holistic perspective. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 610–617. DOI:10.1016/S0022-1031(03)00036-2
- Otto M.C.B., Ruysseveldt J.V., Hoefsmit N., Dam K.V. Examining the mediating role of resources in the temporal relationship between proactive burnout prevention and burnout. BMC Public Health, 21:599. DOI:10.1186/s12889-021-10670-7
- Seriwatana P., Charoensukmongkol P. The effect of cultural intelligence on burnout of Thai cabin crew in non-national airlines moderated by job tenure. BAC Journal, Vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1–19.
- Wink M.N., LaRusso M.D., Smith R.L.Teacher empathy and students with problem behaviors: Examining teachers' perceptions, responses, relationships, and burnout. Psychology in the Schools, 2021. 58, no. 8, pp. 1575–1596. DOI:10.1002/pits.22516
- Wulff H.R., Pedersen S.A., Rosenberg R. Philosophy of Medicine – An Introduction. 2 edition. London: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 222 p.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 48
Current month: 5
Previous month: 15
Current month: 1