Conflict Situations in Secondary Educational Institutions: Needs of Adolescents and Adults around Them According to the Results of Sociological Research
This paper aims to clarify the current situation and identify difficulties in conflict resolution involving adolescents in the secondary educational institutions of the Russian Federation. The results of the empirical research obtained with four samples are presented: students being teenagers (N=136438, aged 14-17), parents of teenagers aged 12-17 (N=123870), teachers (N=41299), professionals working with teenagers (N=40052). The study was conducted by means of an online survey, for which 4 target-group-oriented instruments were developed. Due to the lack of a unified algorithm for resolving conflict situations in educational institutions, relevant information on the participants of conflicts, ways of resolution, reasons for not seeking help from adolescents, requests from parents, teachers and specialists, as well as difficulties encountered in the process were identified. Recommendations on the implementation of measures to resolve conflicts involving adolescents are derived. The obtained data can be used to improve the processes of conflict resolution in educational institutions and to develop a document regulating the algorithm of actions when conflicts occur with the participation of teenagers in educational institutions.
Keywords: conflict resolution; conflict situation; child safety policy; bullying; general education institution; adolescent students
Journal rubric: Childhood Well-Being
Article type: scientific article
Acknowledgements. The authors would like to thank the Office of the Presidential Commissioner for Children's Rights, represented by Maria A. Lvova-Belova, for their cooperation and support in implementing the data collection; Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation and ANO Centre for Social Project Development for their support in conducting the study; The Sociological Clinic of Applied Research at St. Petersburg University and the Resource Centre “Centre for Sociological and Internet Research” for resource opportunities; and for expert support to the Regional Public Organization for Social Projects on the Well-being of the Population “Stellit”.
For citation: Lyalina I.N., Zolotova A.M., Rusakova M.M. Conflict Situations in Secondary Educational Institutions: Needs of Adolescents and Adults around Them According to the Results of Sociological Research [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sotsial’nye nauki i detstvo = Social Sciences and Childhood, 2022. Vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 20–40. DOI: 10.17759/ssc.2022030402. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Banykina S.V., Emel'yanova I.E. Upravlenie konfliktami v shkole kak bazovaya sostavlyayushchaya professional'noi deyatel'nosti klassnogo rukovoditelya [Conflict management at school as a basic component of the professional activity of a class teacher]. Konferentsium ASOU: sbornik nauchnykh trudov i materialov nauchno-prakticheskikh konferentsii [ASOU conference: collection of scientific papers and materials of scientific and practical conferences], 2015, no. 1, p. 2776–2782. (In Russ.).
- Belyaeva V.S. Konflikty mezhdu uchenikami v obshcheobrazovatel'nom uchrezhdenii i puti ikh razresheniya [Conflicts between students in a general education institution and ways to resolve them]. Byulleten' nauki i praktiki [Bulletin of Science and Practice], 2018. Vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 293–297. (In Russ.).
- Brizhataya O.A. Diagnostika stilya povedeniya podrostkov v shkol'nykh konfliktakh [Diagnostics of the behavior style of adolescents in school conflicts]. Materialy ezhegodnykh konferentsii i Aspirantskikh nauchno-pedagogicheskikh chtenii «Chelovek v zerkale psikhologii. Pedagogicheskie miry – miry neravnodushnykh i ponimayushchikh. Nauka i sovremennost' – 2018» (g. Krasnoyarsk, 27 aprelya–15 maya 2018 g.) [Materials of annual conferences and postgraduate scientific and pedagogical readings "Man in the mirror of psychology. Pedagogical worlds are worlds of caring and understanding. Science and Modernity – 2018" (Krasnoyarsk, April 27–May 15, 2018)]. Krasnoyarsk: SibGU im. M.F. Reshetneva [SibGU named after M.F. Reshetnev], 2018, p. 15–17. (In Russ.).
- V nadezhnykh rukakh: politika obespecheniya bezopasnosti detei v organizatsiyakh. [Elektronnyi resurs] ["In safe hands: Child safety policy in organizations". Charitable Foundation "Galaxy"]. Blagotvoritel'nyi fond «Galaktika» [Charitable Foundation "Galaxy"]. Available at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mYE8aYe9bj5kc8hu64ayUIzUxd45kWg1/view (Accessed 2.12.2022). (In Russ.).
- Gordienko N.V., Kirsanova V.G., Pershina L.A. Otsenka rezul'tativnosti raboty shkol'noi sluzhby mediatsii kak resursa vospitaniya obuchayushchikhsya [Evaluation of the effectiveness of the school mediation service as a resource for educating students]. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo oblastnogo universiteta. Seriya: Pedagogika. [Bulletin of the Moscow State Regional University. Series: Pedagogy], 2022, no. 3, pp. 29–42. DOI:10.18384/2310-7219-2022-3-29-42 (In Russ.).
- Zernova G.P. Analiz sushchestvuyushchikh podkhodov organizatsii sluzhb shkol'noi mediatsii v otechestvennoi teorii i praktike [Analysis of existing approaches to the organization of school mediation services in Russian theory and practice]. Istoriya i pedagogika estestvoznaniya [History and pedagogy of natural science], 2017, no. 1, pp. 25–32. (In Russ.).
- Ivanov R.V., Ermilov K.V. Profilaktika bullinga i shkol'nykh konfliktov sredi podrostkov v usloviyakh obrazovatel'nogo protsessa [Prevention of bullying and school conflicts among adolescents in the educational process]. Sbornik materialov Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii «Obrazovanie i pedagogi: perspektivy razvitiya» (g. Cheboksary, 16 oktyabrya 2020 g.) [Collection of materials of the All-Russian scientific and practical conference "Education and teachers: prospects for development" (Cheboksary, October 16, 2020)]. Cheboksary: ID "Sreda", 2020, pp. 145–149. DOI:10.31483/r-96585 (In Russ.).
- 8. Istamkulov Zh. Rol' uchitelya pri razreshenii vnutrishkol'nykh konfliktov [The role of the teacher in resolving intra-school conflicts]. Nauka i novye tekhnologii [Science and new technologies], 2014, no. 1, pp. 235–238. (In Russ.).
- Kazarova D.S. Konflikty v shkole: prichiny i puti ikh resheniya [Conflicts at school: causes and ways of their solution]. Materialy nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii «Rol' yuridicheskogo soobshchestva i pedagogicheskikh vuzov v razvitii mediatsii i shkol'nykh sluzhb primireniya (na primere Lipetskoi oblasti)» (g. Lipetsk, 29 noyabrya 2016 g.) [Materials of the scientific and practical conference "The role of the legal community and pedagogical universities in the development of mediation and school reconciliation services (on the example of the Lipetsk region)" (Lipetsk, November 29, 2016)]. Lipetsk: LGPU imeni P.P. Semenova-Tyan-Shanskogo [P.P. Semenov-Tyan-Shansky LSPU], 2017, pp. 47–51. (In Russ.).
- Kiseleva S.V. Konflikty v shkole i puti ikh razresheniya [Conflicts in school and ways of their resolution]. Nauka i obrazovanie: novoe vremya [Science and education: new time], 2016, no. 6(17), pp. 431–435. (In Russ.).
- Klemenova M.A. Rol' shkoly v sotsializatsii podrostkov [The role of school in the socialization of adolescents]. Lichnost' v kul'ture i obrazovanii: psikhologicheskoe soprovozhdenie, razvitie, sotsializatsiya: materialy vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii [Personality in culture and education: psychological support, development, socialization: materials of the All-Russian scientific and practical conference], 2014, no. 1, pp. 139–141. (In Russ.).
- Lebedeva K.A., Derkach A.M. Shkol'naya mediatsiya kak pedagogicheskaya tekhnologiya: opyt aprobatsii [School mediation as a pedagogical technology: the experience of approbation]. Nepreryvnoe obrazovanie: XXI vek [Continuing education: XXI century], 2018, no. 2(22), pp. 66–74. DOI:10.15393/j5.art.2018.3970 (In Russ.).
- Priorov G.E., Kutuev Yu.I., Priorova E.M. Sotsial'no-pedagogicheskaya problema bullinga v shkole kak osobaya forma nasiliya i agressii [Socio-pedagogical problem of bullying at school as a special form of violence and aggression]. Sbornik trudov sektsii № 17 XXX Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii «Predotvrashchenie. Spasenie. Pomoshch'» (g. Khimki, 19 marta 2020 g.) [Proceedings of section No. 17 of the XXX International Scientific and Practical Conference "Prevention. Salvation. Help" (Khimki, March 19, 2020)]. Khimki: FGBVOU VO AGZ MChS Rossii [FGBVOU IN the AGZ of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia], 2020. S. 56–64. (In Russ.).
- Samsonenko L.S. Izuchenie zhiznennykh planov u sovremennykh starsheklassnikov [The study of life plans in modern high school students]. Balkansko nauchno obozrenie [Balkan scientific Review], 2019. Vol. 3, no. 3(5), pp. 58–61. DOI:10.34671/SCH.BSR.2019.0303.0014 (In Russ.).
- Safronova M.V. Bulling v obrazovatel'noi srede – mify i real'nost' [Bullying in the educational environment – myths and reality]. Mir nauki, kul'tury, obrazovaniya [World of science, culture, education], 2014, no. 3(46), pp. 182–185. (In Russ.).
- Suleimankadieva A.E., Dergal' P.P. Konflikty v sotsial'no-pedagogicheskom protsesse v obshcheobrazovatel'noi shkole [Conflicts in the socio-pedagogical process in a comprehensive school]. Chelovek i vselennaya [Man and the universe], 2018, no. 2(93), pp. 72–79. (In Russ.).
- Yuferova M.A., Chernetsova S.B., Upenietse I.V. K voprosu o perspektivakh vnedreniya mediatsii v obrazovatel'nykh organizatsiyakh [On the prospects for the introduction of mediation in educational organizations]. Sbornik statei devyatoi mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi internet-konferentsii «Dopolnitel'noe professional'noe obrazovanie v usloviyakh modernizatsii» (g. Yaroslavl', 01 fevralya–01 aprelya 2017 g.) [ollection of articles of the ninth international scientific and practical Internet conference "Additional professional education in the conditions of modernization" (Yaroslavl, February 01–April 01, 2017)]. Yaroslavl: RIO YAGPU, 2017, pp. 200–204. (In Russ.).
- Al-Qaysi N. The Impact of Child Protection Policy on Omani Classrooms. International Journal of Information Technology and Language Studies (IJITLS), 2018. Vol. 2, Issue. 1, pp. 1–11.
- Febriantina S., Wijayanti R. Preparing child-friendly school management. Econosains Jurnal Online Ekonomi Dan Pendidikan, 2018, no. 16(1), pp. 76–83. DOI:10.21009/econosains.0161.08
- Papaefstathiou M., Rhind D., Brackenridge C. Child Protection in Ballet: Experiences and Views of Teachers, Administrators and Ballet Students. Child Abuse Review, 2012. Vol. 22, pp. 127–141. DOI:10.1002/car.2228
- Rulofs B., Feiler S., Rossi L., Hartmann-Tews I., Breuer C. Child Protection in Voluntary Sports Clubs in Germany – Factors Fostering Engagement in the Prevention of Sexual Violence. Children & Society, 2019, no. 33(3), pp. 270–285. DOI:10.1111/chso.12322
- Sykes B.L., Piquero A.R., Gioviano J.P. Adolescent Racial Discrimination and Parental Perceptions of Safety in American Neighborhoods and Schools Source. Sociological Forum, Special issue: whose lives matter?: Violence, social control, and the racial divide, 2017. Vol. 32, no. S1, pp. 952–974. DOI:10.1111/socf.12364
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 71
Current month: 20
Previous month: 19
Current month: 3