Ways to enhance the effectiveness of online education 248
Doctor of Psychology, Senior Scientific Officer, Faculty of Psychology, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
Specialist in Psychology, Education and Methodology Specialist, Deputy Head, Psychology of Language and Foreign Language Studies Department, Faculty of Psychology, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
The article is an analytical review of current recommendations provided in foreign scientific literature for secondary and higher education in terms of online learning enhancement through transformations in course content, platforms, assessments, and ways of teacher-students interaction. Recent recommendations in this regard are described from the position of methodology (educational procedures), psychology (motivation, information perception and processing, and communication), and technical solutions (platforms and interfaces).
- Grechushkina N.V. Onlain-kurs: opredelenieiklassifikatsiya [Online course:
definition and classification] [Elektronnyiresurs]. Vyssheeobrazovanie v
Rossii = Higher education in Russia, 2018. Vol. 27, no. 6,
pp. 125–134. URL:
(Accessed 10.09.2020). (In Russ.).
- Sorokova M.G. Elektronnyi kurs kak tsifrovoi obrazovatel'nyi resurs
smeshannogo obucheniya v usloviyakh vysshego obrazovaniya [Electronic course as
a digital educational resource for blended learning in higher education].
Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and
Education], 2020. Vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 36–50.
DOI:10.17759/pse.2020250104 (In Russ.).
- McNeal K.S. et al. A multi-institutional study of inquiry-based lab
activities using the Augmented Reality Sandbox: impacts on undergraduate
student learning. Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 2020.
Vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 85–107.
- Adams R.V., Blair E. Impact of time management behaviors on undergraduate
engineering students’ performance. SAGE Open, 2019. Vol. 1,
no. 11. DOI:10.1177/2158244018824506
- Alqurashi E. Predicting student satisfaction and perceived learning
within online learning environments.Distance Education, 2019.
Vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 133–148.
- Anderson T. The theory and practice of online learning. 2nd Edition.
Edmonton, AB: AU Press, 2011. 472 p.
- Arbaugh J.B. One Bridge, (at Least) Two Paths: Reflections on «Virtual
Classroom Characteristics and Student Satisfaction in Internet-Based MBA
Courses». .Journal of Management Education, 2018.Vol. 42,
no. 4, pp. 524–532. DOI:10.1177/1052562918770214
- Baldwin S., Ching Y. Interactive storytelling: Opportunities for online
course design. TechTrends, 2017. Vol. 61, pp. 179–186.
- Baldwin S.J., Ching Y. Guidelines for designing online courses for mobile
devices. TechTrends, 2020. Vol. 64, pp. 413–422.
- Baldwin S.J., Trespalacios J. Evaluation instruments and good practices in
online education.Online Learning, 2017. Vol. 21, no. 2,
pp. 104–121. DOI:10.24059/olj.v21i2.913
- Balentyne P., Varga M.A. Attitudes and Achievement in a Self-Paced Blended
Mathematics Course [Elektronnyiresurs]. Journal of Online Learning
Research, 2017. Vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 55–72.
URL: https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/173313/ (Accessed 10.09.2020).
- Bangert A.W. The development and validation of the Student Evaluation of
Online Teaching Effectiveness. Computers in the Schools, 2008.
Vol. 25, no. 1–2, pp. 25–47. DOI:10.1080/07380560802157717
- Bates A.W. Teaching in a Digital Age. 2nd Edition. Vancouver, B.C.: Tony
Bates Associates Ltd, 2019. 180 p.
- Berman J.L.C. Teacher Preparation in a Virtual K-12 Context: The
Perceptions of School Leaders Concerning Teacher Professional Development:
Doctoral Dissertation. Philadelphia: Temple University, 2020. 197 p.
- Berry S. Teaching to Connect: Community-Building Strategies for the Virtual
Classroom.Online Learning, 2019. Vol. 23,
no. 1, pp. 164–183. DOI:10.24059/olj.v23i1.1425
- Blaine A.M. Interaction and presence in the virtual classroom: An analysis
of the perceptions of students and teachers in online and blended Advanced
Placement courses.Computers & Education, 2019. Vol. 132,
pp. 31–43. DOI:10.1016/j.compedu.2019.01.004
- Bozkurt A., Sharma R.C. Emergency remote teaching in a time of global
crisis due to CoronaVirus pandemic.Asian Journal of Distance Education,
2020. Vol. 15, no. 1. DOI:10.5281/zenodo.3778083
- Castro M.D.B., Tumibay G.M. A literature review: efficacy of online
learning courses for higher education institution using meta-analysis.
Education and Information Technologies, 2019. Vol. 24,
pp. 1–19. DOI:10.1007/s10639-019-10027-z
- Chan S.-Y., Lam Y.K., Ng T.F. Student’s perception on initial experience of
flipped classroom in pharmacy education: Are we ready? Innovations in
Education and Teaching International, 2020. Vol. 57, no. 1,
pp. 62–73. DOI:10.1080/14703297.2018.1541189
- Son J.Y. et al. Comparing Physical, Virtual, and Hybrid Flipped Labs for
General Education Biology. Online Learning, 2016. Vol. 20,
no. 3, pp. 228–243. DOI:10.24059/olj.v20i3.687
- Cook K. C., Grant-Davis K. Online education: Global questions, local
answers. New York: Routledge, 2020. 264 p. DOI:10.4324/9781315223971
- Danver S.L. The SAGE encyclopedia of online education. Thousand Oaks,
California: SAGE Publications Inc, 2016. 408 p.
- Desai, N., Stefanek, G. A. Technique for continuous evaluation of student
performance in two different domains: structural engineering and computer
information technology. American Journal of Engineering Education, 2017.
Vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 83–110. DOI:10.19030/ajee.v8i2.10066
- Funes M., Mackness J. When inclusion excludes: a counter narrative of
open online education. Learning, Media and Technology, 2018.
Vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 119–138.
- Gamo J. Assessing a Virtual Laboratory in Optics as a Complement to On-Site
Teaching. IEEE Transactions on Education, 2019. Vol. 62,
no. 2, pp. 119–126. DOI:10.1109/TE.2018.2871617
- González-González C.S., Infante-Moro A., Infante-Moro J.C. Implementation
of E-Proctoring in Online Teaching: A Study about Motivational Factors.
Sustainability, 2020. Vol. 12, no. 8.
- Hartnett M. Motivation in online education [Elektronnyi resurs]. Singapore:
Springer, 2016. 149 p. URL:
- He J., Huang X. Using Student-Created Videos as An Assessment Strategy in
Online Team Environments: A Case Study [Elektronnyi resurs]. Journal of
Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 2020. Vol. 29,
no.1, pp. 35–53. URL:
https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/208362/ (Accessed 10.09.2020).
- Horn M. B., Staker H. Blended: Using disruptive innovation to improve
schools. San-Francisco, CA: John Wiley & Sons, 2014. 336 p.
- Hsu H.K., Wang C.V., Levesque-Bristol C. Reexamining the impact of
self-determination theory on learning outcomes in the online learning
environment.Education and Information Technologies, 2019. Vol. 24,
pp. 2159–2174. DOI:10.1007/s10639-019-09863-w
- Introduction to Psychology [Elektronnyi resurs].Lumen learning. URL:
- Kalogeras S. The Practice of Transmedia Storytelling Edutainment in
Media-Rich Learning Environments. In Makewa L.N., Ngussa B.M., Kuboja J. M.
(eds.),Technology-Supported Teaching and Research Methods for Educators.
IGI Global, 2019, pp. 149–164. DOI:10.4018/978-1-5225-5915-3.ch008
- Khiat H. Using automated time management enablers to improve self-regulated
learning. Active Learning in Higher Education, 2019. Vol. 21,
no. 1, 13 p. DOI:10.1177/1469787419866304
- Kim H.J., Jang H.Y. Sustainable Technology Integration in Underserved Area
Schools: The Impact of Perceived Student Change on Teacher Continuance
Intention. Sustainability, 2020. Vol. 12, no. 12, 13 p.
- Kolekar S.V., Pai R.M., Pai M.M.M. Rule based adaptive user interface for
adaptive E-learning system. Education and Information Technologies,
2019. Vol. 24, pp. 613–641. DOI:10.1007/s10639-018-9788-1
- Krutka D.G., Damico N. Should We Ask Students to Tweet? Perceptions,
Patterns, and Problems of Assigned Social Media Participation [Elektronnyi
resurs]. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education,2020.
Vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 142–175. URL:
- Kyei-Blankson L., Ntuli E., Donnelly H. Establishing the Importance of
Interaction and Presence to Student Learning in Online Environments
[Elektronnyi resurs]. Journal of Interactive Learning Research, 2019.
Vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 539–560. URL:
- Mu S. et al.Learners’ attention preferences of information in online
learning: An empirical study based on eye-tracking". Interactive Technology
and Smart Education, 2019. Vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 186–203.
- Lieser P., Taff S.D., Murphy-Hagan A. The Webinar Integration Tool: A
Framework for Promoting Active Learning in Blended Environments. Journal of
Interactive Media in Education, 2018. Vol. 1, pp. 1–8.
- Lin Y.-T., Chen C.-M.Improving effectiveness of learners’ review of video
lectures by using an attention-based video lecture review mechanism based on
brainwave signals. Interactive Learning Environments, 2019.
Vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 86–102.
- Ruthotto I. et al. Lurking and participation in the virtual classroom: The
effects of gender, race, and age among graduate students in computer science.
Computers & Education, 2020. Vol. 151.
- Ma H.Y., Yao J., Liu L.W. Research on the Correlation between Learning
Effectiveness and Online Learning Behavior Based on Online Education Scene.
Creative Education, 2017. Vol. 8, no. 13, pp. 2187–2198.
- Markova T., Glazkova I., Zaborova E. Quality issues of online distance
learning.Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2017. Vol. 237,
pp. 685–691. DOI:10.1016/j.sbspro.2017.02.043
- Means B., Bakia M., Murphy R. Learning Online: What Research Tells Us About
Whether, When and How. New York: Routledge, 2014. 220 p.
- Meri Yilan S., Koruyan K. ICT-Based Assessment, Methods, and Programs in
Tertiary Education. Hershey, PAI: GI Global, 2020. 444 p.
- Zhang J.et al. Modeling collective attention in online and flexible
learning environments.Distance Education, 2019. Vol.40, no. 2,
pp. 278–301. DOI:10.1080/01587919.2019.1600368
- Moore K.A., Pearson B.J. Soft skills in an online class.
Horttechnology, 2017. Vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 583–585.
- Negash S., Wilcox M.V. E-Learning Classifications: Differences and
Similarities. In Negash S. et al. (eds.), Handbook of Distance Learning for
Real-Time and Asynchronous Information Technology Education. Hershey, PA:
Information Science Reference, 2008, pp. 1–23.
- Ayob N.F.S. et al. Overview of blended learning: The effect of station
rotation model on students’ achievement. Journal of Critical Reviews,
2020. Vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 320–326. DOI:10.31838/jcr.07.06.56
- Picciano A.G. Theories and frameworks for online education: Seeking an
integrated model.Online Learning, 2017. Vol. 21, no. 3,
pp. 166–190. DOI:10.24059/olj.v21i3.1225
- Purcell J.W., Scott H.I., Mixson-Brookshire D. Continuous Improvement in
Online Education: Documenting Teaching Effectiveness in the Online Environment
through Observations [Elektronnyi resurs]. Online Journal of Distance Learn
Administration, 2017. Vol. 20, no. 4. URL:
- Reisenwitz T.H. Examining the Necessity of Proctoring Online Exams.
Journal of Higher Education Theory and Practice, 2020. Vol. 20,
no. 1, pp. 118–124. DOI:10.33423/jhetp.v20i1.2782
- Riad M., Hossain A. Pedagogical issues in online language classroom: a case
study on 10-minute school: Doctoral dissertation. Bangladesh, Dhaka: Brac
University, 2019. 189 p.
- Rice M.F., Deschaine M.E.Orienting Toward Teacher Education for Online
Environments for All Students. The Educational Forum, 2020.
Vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 114–125.
- Simonson M., Zvacek S.M., Smaldino S. Teaching and Learning at a Distance:
Foundations of Distance Education. 7th Edition. Charlotte, NC: Information Age
Publishing, 2019. 374 p.
- Singh R., Hurley D. The effectiveness of teaching and learning process in
online education as perceived by university faculty and instructional
technology professionals. Journal of Teaching and Learning with
Technology, 2017. Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 65–75.
- Smith T.W. Making the Most of Online Discussion: A Retrospective Analysis
[Elektronnyi resurs]. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in
Higher Education, 2019. Vol. 31, no. 1,
pp. 21–31. URL: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1206981.pdf (Accessed
- Song H., Kim J., Park N. I Know My Professor: Teacher Self-Disclosure in
Online Education and a Mediating Role of Social Presence. International
Journal of Human–Computer Interaction, 2019. Vol. 35, no. 6,
- Sun A., Chen X. Online education and its effective practice: A research
review. Journal of Information Technology Education: Research, 2016.
Vol. 15, pp. 157–190. DOI:10.28945/3502
- Terry R., Taylor J., Davies M. Successful teaching in virtual classrooms.
In Daniels K. et al. (eds.), Learning and teaching in higher education.
Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2019, pp. 211–221.
- Thai N.T.T., De Wever B., Valcke M. The impact of a flipped classroom
design on learning performance in higher education: Looking for the best
“blend” of lectures and guiding questions with feedback.Computers &
Education, 2017. Vol. 107, pp. 113–126.
- Tong Y., Kinshuk, Wei X. Teaching Design and Practice of a Project-Based
Blended Learning Model. International Journal of Mobile and Blended
Learning, 2020. Vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 33–50.
- Ventista O.M. Self-assessment in Massive Open Online Courses. E-Learning
and Digital Media, 2018. Vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 165–175.
- Wang J., Tigelaar D.E.H., Admiraal W. Connecting rural schools to quality
education: Rural teachers’ use of digital educational resources. Computers
in Human Behavior, 2019. Vol. 101, pp. 68–76.
- Woldeab D., Brothen T. 21st Century assessment: Online proctoring, test
anxiety, and student performance [Elektronnyi resurs]. International Journal
of e-Learning and Distance Education, 2019. Vol. 34, no. 1. URL:
- Xiong Y., Suen H.K. Assessment approach in massive open online courses:
Possibilities, challenges and future directions. International Review of
Education, 2018. Vol. 64, pp. 241–263.
- Yaylaci F.G., Yaylaci A.F. Understandings and Tendencies of Edutainment in
Turkey: An Evaluation Based on Neil Postman's Criticism on Education,
Entertainment and Technology [Elektronnyi resurs]. Contemporary Educational
Technology, 2016. Vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 241–263. URL: