An Individual Approach to the Group Social Behavior Skills Training in Preschoolers with ASD and Severe Multiple Developmental Disorders
Objectives. The significant heterogeneity of mental disorders in children with severe multiple developmental disorders (SMDD) makes the development of the unified methods of psycho-educational support comprehensive issue. The goal of the article is to report the results of group social adaptation training in children of primary preschool age with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and SMDD. Training was aimed at the development of social behavior skills with individualization of approach and differentiation of tasks for each child.
Methods. Article presents the procedure of the development of the social behavior in children from 3 to 8 years old in groups of short-term stay at the Center for Curative Pedagogics of the Pskov Region. Group work is based on the principles of a child-centered approach and the use of Special Individual Development Programs (SIDP). Methods of observation, differentiation of tasks were used to identify the individual characteristics of the child. The subject-activity approach as a special method of the development of social behavior skills was also used.
Results. The individualization of the general tasks of the SIDP which showed by the cases allows to set up specific goals for each of the participants. As a result of the individualization of tasks, a pronounced positive rehabilitation and developmental effect was observed. The reported result became possible by the step-by-step development of social behavior skills in all types of interaction between the teacher and the child.
Conclusions. This work demonstrates the comprehensive character of providing an individual educational track for each child. Such characteristics as the interests of participants, their opportunities and abilities and developmental aspects, manifested in a group session are declared as the important for the SIPD individualization. The importance of setting of a small, achievable goals to increase individual dynamics in the development of social skills is emphasized
Keywords: children with autism developmental disoders; severe multiple developmental disorders; preschoolers; group activity; program individualization
Journal rubric: Education & Intervention Methods
Article type: scientific article
For citation: Lukashova A.V. An Individual Approach to the Group Social Behavior Skills Training in Preschoolers with ASD and Severe Multiple Developmental Disorders. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2023. Vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 25–33. DOI: 10.17759/autdd.2023210204. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Abkovich A.Ya. Deti s tyazhelymi mnozhestvennymi narusheniyami razvitiya v obrazovatel’nom prostranstve: osobennosti sozdaniya spetsial’nykh uslovii [Children with severe multiple developmental disorders in educational space: characteristics for providing special conditions]. In Aktual’nye voprosy kompleksnoi reabilitatsii i abilitatsii invalidov: psikhologo-pedagogicheskie aspekty: v 2 ch.: Ch. 2: tezisy dokladov II Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii (Ekaterinburg, 19—20 noyabrya 2019 g.) [Current challenges in comprehensive rehabilitation and habilitation for persons with disabilities: psychological and educational aspects: in 2 parts: Pt. 2: abstracts of the 2nd national scientific and practical conference (Yekaterinburg, 19—20 November 2019)]. Yekaterinburg: Publ. Ural Federal University, 2019. Pp. 62—65. ISBN 978-5-7996-2963-2. (In Russ.).
- Adaptirovannaya osnovnaya obrazovatel’naya programma doshkol’nogo obrazovaniya detei s tyazhelymi mnozhestvennymi narusheniyami razvitiya detskogo sada “Lesovichok” / gosudarstvennogo byudzhetnogo obshcheobrazovatel’nogo uchrezhdeniya Pskovskoi oblasti “Tsentr lechebnoi pedagogiki i differentsirovannogo obucheniya” [Adapted basic education program for preschool education for children with severe multiple developmental disorders in the kindergarten “Lesovichok” of the State budgetary educational institution of the Pskov region “Center for Curative Pedagogics and Differentiated Education”] [Web resource]. Pskov, 2017. 158 p. URL: https://clp.pskov.ru/downloads/2012/05/ AOOP-DO-TMNR.pdf (Accessed 15.06.2022). (In Russ.).
- Bogdashina O.B. Models of the Organisation of Comprehensive Care for Children with ASD in the West. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2016, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 27—34. (In Russ.). DOI:10.17759/autdd.2016140405
- Vasyagina N.N., Grigoryan E.N., Kazaeva E.A. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie aspekty reabilitatsii detei s rasstroistvom autisticheskogo spektra v usloviyakh doshkol’nogo obrazovaniya [Psychological and educational aspects of rehabilitation of children with autism spectrum disorder in preschool education]. Natsional’nyi psikhologicheskii zhurnal = National Psychological Journal, 2018, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 92—101. (In Russ.). DOI:10.11621/npj.2018.0210
- Gabaj T.V. Razvitie predmetno-soderzhatel’nyh predstavlenij o deyatel’nosti i deyatel’nostnyj podhod v psihologii [The development of substantive concepts of activity and the activity approach in psychology]. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta: Seriya 14: Psihologiya = Moscow University Bulletin: Series 14: Psychology, 2011, no. 3, pp. 19—32. (In Russ.).
- Gul’yants S.M. Sushchnost’ lichnostno-orientirovannogo podkhoda v obuchenii s tochki zreniya sovremennykh obrazovatel’nykh kontseptsii [Essence of the personality-oriented approach in teaching according to modern educational concepts]. Vestnik Chelyabinskogo gosudarstvennogo gumanitarno-pedagogicheskogo universiteta = South Ural State Humanities Pedagogical University Bulletin, 2009, no. 2, pp. 40—52. (In Russ.).
- Innovatsionnye tekhnologii obucheniya detei s rasstroistvami autisticheskogo spektra: metodicheskie rekomendatsii [Innovative technologies for teaching children with autism spectrum disorders] / Surgut State Psychological University. Surgut, 2019. 57 p. (In Russ.).
- Mamaichuk I.I. Psikhologicheskaya pomoshch’ detyam s problemami v razvitii: monografiya [Psychological assistance for children with developmental disorders: monography]. Saint Petersburg: Rech’, 2008. 218 p. ISBN 5-9268-0427-2. (In Russ.).
- Nesterova A.A., Aisina R.M., Suslova T.F. Model’ soprovozhdeniya pozitivnoi sotsializatsii detei s rasstroistvami autisticheskogo spektra (RAS): kompleksnyi i mezhdistsiplinarnyi podkhody: Chast’ 2: Rossiiskii opyt sotsial’no-psikhologicheskogo soprovozhdeniya detei s RAS i ikh semei [A Positive Socialization Model for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Part 2: Russian experience in social-psychological support of children with ASD and their families]. Obrazovanie i nauka = Education and science, 2016, no. 3, pp. 140—155. (In Russ.). DOI:10.17853/1994-5639-2016-3- 140-155
- Ol’khina E.A., Novikova Yu.A. Tekhnologiya ekspertnoi otsenki SIPR obuchayushchikhsya s tyazhelymi i mnozhestvennymi narusheniyami razvitiya [Technology Expert Assessment of CIPR Trainers with Heavy and Multiple Developmental Disabilities]. Problemy sovremennogo pedagogicheskogo obrazovaniya = Challenges in modern pedagogical education, 2019, no. 62-3, pp. 174—176. (In Russ.).
- Peeters T. Autizm: ot teoreticheskogo ponimaniya k pedagogicheskomu vozdeistviyu [Autism: From Theoretical Understanding To Educational Intervention]. Moscow: Publ. Vlados, 2002. 240 p. ISBN 5-691-00907-9. (In Russ.).
- Primernaya adaptirovannaya osnovnaya obrazovatel’naya programma doshkol’nogo obrazovaniya detei rannego i doshkol’nogo vozrasta s rasstroistvami autisticheskogo spektra [Approximate adapted basic educational program for preschool education for children of early and preschool ages with autism spectrum disorders] / Ministry of Education of Russian Federation. Moscow, 2022. 124 p. (In Russ.).
- Samsonova E.V., Alekseeva M.N. Educating Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Organizational Problems. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2016, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 97—104. (In Russ.). DOI:10.17759/pse.2016210311
- Subbotina E.I. Deti s tyazhelymi mnozhestvennymi narusheniyami razvitiya v obrazovatel’nom prostranstve [Children with severe multiple developmental disabilities in the educational space]. Sovremennoe pedagogicheskoe obrazovanie = Modern pedagogical education, 2019, no. 2, pp. 151—154. (In Russ.).
- Subbotina E.I., Abkovich A.Ya. Sensornoe vospitanie detei so slozhnymi narusheniyami razvitiya [Sensory education of children with severe multiple developmental disorders]. Spetsial’noe obrazovanie = Special Education, 2019, no. 1, pp. 64— 74. (In Russ.). DOI:10.26170/sp19-01-06
- Frost L., Bondy A. Sistema al’ternativnoi kommunikatsii s pomoshch’yu kartochek (PECS): rukovodstvo dlya pedagogov [The Picture Exchange Communication System Training Manual]. Moscow: Publ. Terevinf, 2011. 416 p. ISBN 978-5- 4212-0026-0. (In Russ.).
- Tsarev A.M. Tsentr lechebnoi pedagogiki. Spetsial’naya individual’naya programma razvitiya (SIPR) — osnova obrazovaniya obuchayushchikhsya s umstvennoi otstalost’yu (intellektual’nymi narusheniyami) v kontekste FGOS [The Special Individual Development Program (SIDP) as the basis for the education of students with intellectual disabilities in the Federal State Educational Standard] [Web resource] / Center for Curative Pedagogics. Pskov, . 18 p. (In Russ.). URL: http://clp.pskov.ru/downloads/2016/03/Статья-СИПР-1-Царев-А.М-2016.pdf (Accessed 15.06.2022).
- Chevychelova N.V., Chereneva E.A., Cherenev D.V. et al. Analysis of modern technologies for teaching and supporting children with autism spectrum disorders [Analysis of modern technologies in teaching and support of children with autistic spectrum disorders]. Vestnik Krasnoyarskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta im. V.P. Astaf’eva = Bulletin of Krasnoyarsk State Pedagogical University, 2019, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 15—25. (In Russ.). DOI:10.25146/1995- 0861-2019-49-3-138.
- Erts-Naftul’eva Yu.M., Fala V. The usage of combined system of tokens in managing unwanted behavior of a child with ASD in the preschool group. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2015, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 38—43. (In Russ.).
- Ali Nathwani A., Lakhdir M.P.A., Azam S.I. et al. Behavioral problems and its associated factors among siblings of children with developmental disabilities: analytical cross-sectional study. Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies, 2022, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 180—192. DOI:10.1080/17450128.2021.2023788
- Bernard Paulais M.-A., Mazetto C., Thiébaut E. et al. Heterogeneities in cognitive and socio-emotional development in children with autism spectrum disorder and severe intellectual disability as a comorbidity. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 2019, vol. 10, article no. 508. 14 p. DOI:10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00508
- Gerow S., Davis T., Radhakrishnan S. et al. Functional Communication Training: The Strength of Evidence Across Disabilities. Exceptional Children, 2018, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 86—103. DOI:10.1177/0014402918793399
- Hao G. Early academic skills in Chinese children with autism spectrum disorders. Speech, Language and Hearing, 2018, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 55—65. DOI:10.1080/2050571X.2017.1329182
- Hoyle J.N., Laditka J.N., Laditka S.B. Severe developmental disability and the transition to adulthood. Disability and Health Journal, 2020, vol. 13, article no. 100912. 8 p. DOI:10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.100912
- Lam S.-F., Tsang N., Keung Y.-C. et al. A comprehensive service delivery model for preschoolers with special educational needs: Its characteristics and effectiveness. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 2019, vol. 85, pp. 20—30. DOI:10.1016/j. ridd.2018.10.005
- Miller L.E., Burke J.D., Robins D.L. et al. Diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorder in Children with Low Mental Age. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2019, vol. 49, pp. 1080—1095. DOI:10.1007/s10803-018-3810-8
- Mulder P.A., Huisman S., Annemiek M. et al. Development, behaviour and autism in individuals with SMC1A variants. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 2019, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 305—313. DOI:10.1111/ jcpp.12979
- Schmid L., DeMoss L., Scarbrough P. et al. An Investigation of a Classroom-Based Specialized Music Therapy Model for Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder: Voices Together Using the VOICSS™ Method. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 2020, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 176—185. DOI:10.1177/1088357620902505
- Su P.L., Rogers S.J., Estes A. et al. The role of early social motivation in explaining variability in functional language in toddlers with autism spectrum disorder. Autism, 2021, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 244—257. DOI:10.1177/1362361320953260
- Wester Oxelgren U., Åberg M., Myrelid Å et al. Autism needs to be considered in children with Down Syndrome. Acta Paediatrica, 2019, vol. 108, no. 11, pp. 2019—2026. DOI:10.1111/apa.14850
- Winstead O., Lane J.D., Spriggs A.D. et al. Providing Small Group Instruction to Children With Disabilities and Same- Age Peers. Journal of Early Intervention, 2019, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 202—219. DOI:10.1177/1053815119832985
- Wright J.C., Knight V.F., Lemons C.J. et al. Enhancing early numeracy skills of children with severe disabilities and complex communication needs. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 2020, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 277—289.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 76
Current month: 14
Previous month: 12
Current month: 3