Features of Adaptation of Indigenous Students of the Russian North, Siberia and the Far East to the College Educational Environment
Objective. Empirical study of the criteria for assessing the adaptation of students – representatives of the indigenous and minorities of the North, Siberia and Far East to the educational environment of colleges and the study of the features of their adaptation.
Background. The relevance of studying the features of adaptation of students – representatives of the indigenous and minorities of the North, Siberia and the Far East of the Russian Federation to the educational environment of colleges is due to the high importance of secondary vocational education for the preservation and development of the culture of these peoples.
Study design. Factor analysis made it possible to identify indicators of students' adaptation to the educational environment of the college (adaptation criteria). To clarify the features of the adaptability of students-representatives of the SIM and Far East and the role of environmental factors mediating adaptation, correlation, variance analysis, as well as analysis of the significance of differences were used.
Participants. Students-representatives of the of the indigenous and minorities of the North, Siberia and the Far East of the Russian Federation – 304 people (179 girls, 125 boys). Students of the comparison group – 416 people (195 girls, 221 boys).
Measurements. Russian-language version of the Scale of Sociocultural Adaptation J. Wilson', K. Ward', et al. The author's scale of self-assessment of the degree of satisfaction with the main aspects of life. Author's questionnaire for assessing the degree of adaptation to an educational organization.
Results. Three groups of indicators of students' adaptability to the educational environment of the college are identified: academic adaptation (23% of the variance), sociocultural adaptation (13%) and psychological adaptation (13%). Indigenous and minority students and comparison groups do not differ in terms of socio-cultural and psychological adaptation, while indicators of academic adaptation of students – representatives of the indigenous and minorities of the North, Siberia and the Far East of the Russian Federation are higher than in the comparison group in the conditions of the homogeneity of the socio-cultural environment of the college and lower in the conditions of its heterogeneity.
Conclusions. The indicators for assessing the adaptability of students are independent of each other and allow assessing the features of adaptation to an educational organization, educational activities and group; features of adaptation to a new socio-cultural environment, as well as the degree of emotional well-being of the individual.
Keywords: college students; adaptation to the secondary school; academic adaptation; sociocultural adaptation; psychological adaptation; indigenous and minority peoples; peoples of the North, Siberia and the Far East
Journal rubric: Empirical Research
Article type: scientific article
Funding. This study was supported by the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation as part of the state-commissioned assignment “Indigenous Secondary Vocational Schools Students from the North, Siberia and Far East of Russia: A Study of Adaptation to the New Social and Cultural Environment” (Supplementary Agreement No. 073-03-2022-040/6, 1 June 2022).
For citation: Baeva I.A., Miklyaeva A.V., Pezhemskaya J.S., Khoroshikh V.V. Features of Adaptation of Indigenous Students of the Russian North, Siberia and the Far East to the College Educational Environment. Sotsial'naya psikhologiya i obshchestvo = Social Psychology and Society, 2023. Vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 136–153. DOI: 10.17759/sps.2023140309. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Alekseev V.V., Alekseeva A.E. Problemy adaptatsii i podgotovki predstavitelei korennykh malochislennykh narodov Severa k uchebe v sisteme vysshego professional'nogo obrazovaniya [The problems of aboriginal adaptation in the university education system]. Gumanitarnye, sotsial'no-ekonomicheskie i obshchestvennye nauki = Humanities, socio-economic and social sciences, 2014, no. 12, pp. 1–12. (In Russ.).
- Anisimova S.G., Dranaeva I.A. Sotsial'nye problemy naseleniya tsirkumpolyarnogo poyasa: obrazovatel'nyi aspect [Social problems of the population of the circumpolar zone: educational aspect]. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya = Modern problems of science and education, 2013, no. 1, p. 427. (In Russ.).
- Aivarova N.G., Mironov A.V., Naumova M.V. Zhiznestoikost' i psikhologicheskoe zdorov'e korennykh malochislennykh narodov Severa [Resilience and psychological health of the indigenous peoples of the North]. Psikhologiya obrazovaniya v polikul'turnom prostranstve = Psychology of Education in a Multicultural Space, 2018, no. 1(41), pp. 6–12. DOI:10.24888/2073-8439-2018-41-1-6-12 (In Russ.).
- Balzer M.M. Korennye kosmopolity, ekologicheskaya zashchita i aktivizm v Sibiri i na Dal'nem Vostoke [Indigenous cosmopolitans, environmental advocacy and activism in Siberia and the Far East]. Sibirskie istoricheskie issledovaniya = Siberian historical research, 2014, no. 2, pp. 15–38. (In Russ.).
- Bakhtina N.N., Gubarev A.N. Problema sotsial'no-psikhologicheskoi adaptatsii studentov, predstavitelei korennykh malochislennykh narodov Severa [The problem of socio-psychological adaptation of students, representatives of the indigenous peoples of the North]. Vestnik Severo-vostochnogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta = Bulletin of the Northeastern State University, 2017, no. 28, pp. 7–9. (In Russ.).
- Voskrekasenko O.A., Igoshin S.N. Adaptatsiya obuchayushchikhsya kolledzha kak pedagogicheskaya problema [Adaptation of college students as a pedagogical problem]. Sovremennye naukoemkie tekhnologii = Modern high technologies, 2020, no. 4, pp. 272–276. (In Russ.).
- Grigor'evskaya I.V. Faktory adaptatsii studentov v obrazovatel'noi srede kolledzha [Factors of adaptation of students in the educational environment of the college]. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta = Bulletin of the Tomsk State Pedagogical University, 2013, no. 11(139), pp. 124–127. (In Russ.).
- Zabara L.I., Lebedeva Yu.V., Shabanova N.A. Sotsial'no-psikhologicheskaya adaptatsiya k vuzu studentov-psikhologov [Socio-psychological adaptation to the university of students of psychologists]. Pedagogicheskoe obrazovanie v Rossii = Pedagogical education in Russia, 2021, no. 6, pp. 185–194. DOI:10.26170/2079-8717_2021_06_22 (In Russ.).
- Krasil'nikov I.A., Konstantinov V.V. Sotsial'no-psikhologicheskaya adaptatsiya lichnosti i strategii razresheniya vnutrennikh konfliktov [Socio-psychological adaptation of the personality and strategies for resolving internal conflicts]. Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra Rossiiskoi akademii nauk = Proceedings of the Samara Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2009, no. 11(4), pp. 932–938. (In Russ.).
- Luk'yanenko T.I., Maneeva N.F., Karplyuk P.N., Chistyakova V.A., Sazonova O.K., Gonokhova T.A. Issledovanie i uchet individual'no-psikhologicheskikh osobennostei studentov – predstavitelei korennykh malochislennykh narodov v protsesse ikh sotsial'no-psikhologicheskoi adaptatsii [Research and taking into account the individual psychological characteristics of students – representatives of indigenous peoples in the process of their social and psychological adaptation]. Mir nauki, kul'tury, obrazovaniya = The world of science, culture, education, 2009, no. 7(19), pp. 139–143. (In Russ.).
- Maklakov A.G., Goloveshkin I.D. Osobennosti adaptatsii studentov pervogo kursa k obrazovatel'noi srede vuza [Features of adaptation of first-year students to the educational environment of the university]. Vestnik Leningradskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta im. A.S. Pushkina = Bulletin of the Leningrad State University named after A.S. Pushkin, 2011, no. 3, pp. 29–37. (In Russ.).
- Markin V.V., Silin A.N., Voronov V.V. Obrazovatel'nye traektorii molodezhi korennykh malochislennykh narodov Severa: sotsial'no-prostranstvennyi diskurs [Educational trajectories of the youth of the indigenous peoples of the North: socio-spatial discourse]. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial'nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz = Economic and social changes: facts, trends, forecast, 2018, no. 12(5), pp. 141–154. DOI:10.15838/esc.2019.5.65.9 (In Russ.).
- Miklyaeva A.V., Bezgodova S.A., Vasil'eva S.V., Rumyantseva P.V., Solntseva N.V. Kharakteristiki poznavatel'noi sfery i stil' uchebnoi deyatel'nosti kak faktory uspeshnosti adaptatsii k obrazovatel'noi srede vuza u studentov razlichnoi profil'noi napravlennosti [Characteristics of the cognitive sphere and the style of educational activity as factors for the success of adaptation to the educational environment of the university among students of various profile orientations]. Izvestiya Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Psikhologiya = News of the Irkutsk State University. Series: Psychology, 2017, no. 22, pp. 42–54. (In Russ.).
- Mikljaeva A.V., Pezhemskaja Ju.S., Khoroshikh V.V., Baeva I.A. Social'no-psihologicheskaja adaptacija studentov – predstavitelej korennyh malochislennyh narodov Severa, Sibiri i Dal'nego Vostoka k kolledzhu v novoj sociokul'turnoj srede: teoreticheskaja model' [Socio-psychological adaptation of students from indigenous minorities of the North, Siberia and the Far East to college in a new sociocultural environment: A theoretical model]. Science for Education Today, 2022. Vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 80–110. (In Russ.).
- Milgram S. Opyt gorodskoi zhizni: psikhologicheskoe issledovanie [Urban Experience: A Psychological Study]. In E. Pains, K. Maslach (ed.). Praktikum po sotsial'noi psikhologii [Workshop on social psychology]. Saint-Petersburg: Piter, 2000, pp. 283–296. (In Russ.).
- Mil'kova E.V., Belyaeva N.V. Adaptatsiya studentov – predstavitelei korennykh malochislennykh narodov Severa, Sibiri i Dal'nego Vostoka v sotsial'no-pedagogicheskoi deyatel'nosti KemGUKI [Adaptation of students – representatives of the indigenous peoples of the North, Siberia and the Far East in the social and pedagogical activities of the KemGUKI]. Vestnik Kemerovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta kul'tury i iskusstv = Bulletin of the Kemerovo State University of Culture and Arts, 2010, no. 13, pp. 103–109. (In Russ.).
- Myskin S.V., Makeeva G.A. Adaptatsionnye aspekty sotsial'noi situatsii razvitiya podrostkov v usloviyakh obucheniya v organizatsii srednego professional'nogo obrazovaniya [Adaptation Aspects of the Social Situation of Adolescents' Development in the Conditions of Training in the Organization of Secondary Vocational Education]. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya = Psychological and pedagogical research, 2021, no. 13(2), pp. 89–104. (In Russ.).
- Orekhova E.Yu. Pedagogicheskie usloviya aktivizatsii protsessa adaptatsii studentov mladshikh kursov k vuzu (na primere studentov korennykh malochislennykh narodov Severa, khanty i mansi) [Pedagogical conditions for activating the process of adaptation of junior students to the university (on the example of students of the indigenous peoples of the North, Khanty and Mansi). PhD (Psychology) Thesis]. Ryazan', 2006. 23 p. (In Russ.).
- Baeva I.A. [I dr.]. Psihologo-pedagogicheskoe soprovozhdenie adaptacii studentov – predstavitelej korennyh malochislennyh narodov Severa, Sibiri i Dal'nego Vostoka k kolledzhu v novoj sociokul'turnoj srede: metodicheskie rekomendacii [Psychological and pedagogical support for the adaptation of students – representatives of the indigenous peoples of the North, Siberia and the Far East to college in a new socio-cultural environment: guidelines]. Baeva I.A. (eds.). Saint-Petrsburg: Izd-vo RGPU im. A.I. Gercena, 2023. 272 p. (In Russ.).
- Redlikh S.M., Stukova N.M. Pedagogicheskie usloviya uspeshnoi adaptatsii studentov-etnoforov v vuze: teoreticheskie aspekty [Pedagogical Conditions for Successful Adaptation of Ethnophoric Students in the University: Theoretical Aspects]. Sibirskii pedagogicheskii zhurnal = Siberian Pedagogical Journal, 2010, no. 6, pp. 279–285. (In Russ.).
- Rostovtseva M.V. Podkhody k izucheniyu sotsial'noi adaptatsii v sisteme obrazovaniya [Approaches to the study of social adaptation in the education system]. Filosofiya i kul'tura = Philosophy and culture, 2017, no. 8, pp. 108–114. DOI:10.7256/2454-0757.2017.8.23511 (In Russ.).
- Serebryakova R.V., Detter G.F. Rol' kul'turnogo i yazykovogo mnogoobraziya v obrazovatel'nom protsesse korennykh malochislennykh narodov Arktiki [The role of cultural and linguistic diversity in the educational process of the indigenous peoples of the Arctic]. Nauchnyi vestnik Yamalo-Nenetskogo avtonomnogo okruga = Scientific Bulletin of the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug, 2021, no. 110(1), pp. 101‒119. (In Russ.).
- Sinitsa A.L. Povyshenie urovnya i kachestva obrazovaniya korennykh malochislennykh narodov Severa: problemy i perspektivy [Improving the Level and Quality of Education of the Indigenous Minorities of the North: Problems and Prospects]. Uroven' zhizni naseleniya regionov Rossii = The standard of living of the population of the regions of Russia, 2019, no. 15(3), pp. 70–81. DOI:10.19181/1999-9836-2019-10074 (In Russ.).
- Tolkanyuk A. Sotsial'no-psikhologicheskaya adaptatsiya studentov-pervokursnikov v kolledzhe [Socio-psychological adaptation of first-year students in college]. Khumanitarni Balkanski izsledvaniya, 2019. Vol. 3, no. 2(4), pp. 79–81. (In Russ.).
- Tolstykh Yu.I. Kriterii otsenki uspeshnosti adaptatsii studentov-pervokursnikov v vuze [Criteria for assessing the success of adaptation of first-year students in the university]. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Povolzhskii region. Gumanitarnye nauki = News of higher educational institutions. Volga region. Humanitarian sciences, 2011, no. 4(20), pp. 137–142. (In Russ.).
- Trofimova N.S. Issledovanie vzaimosvyazi sotsial'no-psikhologicheskoi adaptatsii i sub"ektnosti lichnosti studenta kolledzha [Study of the relationship between socio-psychological adaptation and subjectivity of the personality of a college student]. Pedagogicheskoe obrazovanie v Rossii = Pedagogical education in Russia, 2013, no. 3, pp. 116–121. (In Russ.).
- Khamidulina G.F. Professional'noe obrazovanie predstavitelei korennykh malochislennykh narodov severa Sakhalina: tsennostnyi podkhod [Vocational Education for Representatives of the Indigenous Minorities of the North of Sakhalin: A Value Approach]. Sovremennaya nauka: aktual'nye problemy teorii i praktiki. Seriya: gumanitarnye nauki = Modern Science: Actual Problems of Theory and Practice. Series: Humanitie. 2019, no. 10, pp. 98–101. (In Russ.).
- Cheparukhina E.A. Didakticheskaya adaptatsiya studentov kolledzha kak sotsial'no-pedagogicheskaya problema [Didactic adaptation of college students as a socio-pedagogical problem]. Vestnik Shadrinskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta = Bulletin of Shadrinsk State Pedagogical University, 2019, no. 4(44), pp. 218–221. (In Russ.).
- 29. Badelina M.V. Process of adaptation of first-year students to study at university as pedagogical phenomenon: structure and characteristics. Amazonia Investiga, 2020. Vol. 9(27), pp. 460–477. DOI:10.34069/AI/2020.27.03.50
- Gonta I., Bulgac A. The Adaptation of Students to the Academic Environment in University. Revista Romaneasca Pentru Educatie Multidimensionala, 2019. Vol. 11(3), pp. 34–44. DOI:10.18662/rrem/137
- Hussain M., Shen H. A Study on Academic Adaptation of International Students in China. Higher Education Studies, 2019. Vol. 9(4). DOI:10.5539/hes.v9n4p80
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 22
Current month: 31
Previous month: 13
Current month: 20