Professional Resilience of Specialists in Helping Professions: Analysis of Domestic and Foreign Studies
The article is devoted to the review of national and foreign studies in professional resilience. The analyzed researches demonstrate that it is typical for foreign psychological science to consider professional resilience as a set of resources that allows a specialist in a difficult situation to provide himself with psychological well-being, which requires the skills of taking care of himself and his psychological state, providing self-help and the ability to adapt to changing conditions. The data of foreign empirical studies of professional resilience of specialists in helping professions have shown a correlation between professional resilience and emotional burnout, psychological well-being, self-compassion, and creative thinking. Also, researchers note the need for the formation of professional resilience in the educational process and labor activity. National researchers consider resilience mainly as the ability to manage functions and processes (coping, recovery) based on the internal resources of the individual, external and internal protective factors in difficult conditions in order to adapt to them and restore life satisfaction.
Keywords: professional resilience, helping professionals, psychological well-being, adaptation, reflection, selforganization.
Journal rubric: Special (Branch) Psychology
Article type: review article
For citation: Osintseva A.A., Kapustina V.A. Professional Resilience of Specialists in Helping Professions: Analysis of Domestic and Foreign Studies [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sovremennaia zarubezhnaia psikhologiia = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2023. Vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 22–29. DOI: 10.17759/jmfp.2023120202. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Banshchikova T.N., Sokolovskii M.L., Fomina E.A. Camoregulyatsiya i zhiznestoikost' na raznykh stadiyakh professional'nogo stanovleniya [Self-regulation and resilience at different stages of professional development]. Teoreticheskaya i eksperimental'naya psikhologiya [Theoretical and experimental psychology], 2022. Vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 67—92. (In Russ.).
- Borisov G.I., Pecherkina A.A. Zhiznesposobnost' kak uslovie professional'nogo razvitiya lichnosti [Resilience as a condition of professional development of personality] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Pedagogicheskoe obrazovanie v Rossii [Pedagogical education in Russia], 2015, no. 11, pp. 72—75. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=25295749 (Accessed 23.06.2023). (In Russ.).
- Makhnach A.V., Dikaya L.G. (eds.) Zhiznesposobnost' cheloveka: individual'nye, professional'nye i sotsial'nye aspekty [Human vitality: individual, professional and social aspects]. M.: Institutpsikhologii RAN, 2016. 760 p. (In Russ.).
- LotarevaT.Yu. Faktory zhiznesposobnosti professionalov sotsial'noi sfery [The resiliencefactors of social sphere professionals]. Azimut nauchnykh issledovanii: pedagogika i psikhologiya [Azimuth of Scientific Research: Pedagogy and Psychology], 2016. Vol. 5, no. 4(17), pp. 376—381. (In Russ.).
- Makhnach A.V., Laktionova A.I., PostylyakovaYu.V. Zhiznesposobnost' studencheskoi molodezhi Rossii v usloviyakh neopredelennosti [Resilience of student youth in Russia under uncertainty.]. Obrazovanie i nauka= The Education and science journal, 2022. Vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 90—121. DOI:10.17853/1994-5639-2022-5-90-121(In Russ.).
- Plyushcheva O.A., Makhnach A.V. Zhiznesposobnost' spetsialista pomogayushchei professii v organizatsionnoi srede [Resilience of a specialist in a helping profession in an organizational environment] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Organizatsionnaya psikhologiya = Organizational Psychology, 2021. Vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 124—153. URL: https://orgpsyjournal.hse.ru/2021-11-2/484830093.html (Accessed 23.06.2023). (In Russ.).
- Tarasova E.V., Cheremukhin A.D. Predstavleniyapsikhologov-konsul'tantovobeticheskikhtsennostyakh, professional'noi ustoichivosti i zhiznesposobnosti v deyatel'nosti [Representation of psychologist-consultants on ethical values, professional sustainability and resilience in professional activities] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Universum: psikhologiya i obrazovanie [Universum: psychology and education], 2017, no. 4(34),6 p. URL: https://7universum.com/ru/psy/archive/item/4615 (Accessed 10.03.2023). (In Russ.).
- Shkugal Ya.A. Zhiznestoikost', emotsional'nyi intellect i kar'ernye orientatsii sotrudnikov v sovremenny khusloviyakh biznesa [Resilience, emotional intelligence and career orientation of employees in modern business conditions] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sovremennye strategii i tsifrovye transformatsii ustoichivogo razvitiya obshchestva, obrazovaniya i nauki [Modern strategies and digital transformations of sustainable development of society, education and science]: Sbornik materialov V Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii: Makhachkala, 2023. Makhachkala: Obshchestvo s ogranichennoi otvetstvennost'yu “Izdatel'stvo ALEF”, 2023, pp. 135—139. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=50233185 (Accessed 10.03.2023). (In Russ.).
- Azevedo A., Shane M.J. A new training program in developing cultural intelligence can also improve innovative work behavior and resilience: A longitudinal pilot study of graduate students and professional employees. The International Journal of Management Education, 2019. Vol. 17, no. 3, article ID100303, 20 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijme.2019.05.004
- Song Y., Swendiman R.A., Shannon A.B., Torres-Landa S., Khan F.N., Williams N.N., Dumon K.R., Brooks A.D., DeMatteo R.P., Aarons C.B. Can we coach resilience? An evaluation of professional resilience coaching as a well-being initiative for surgical interns.Journal of Surgical Education, 2020. Vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 1481—1489. DOI:10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.04.014
- Ashby S., Ryan S., Gray M., James C. Factors that influence the professional resilience of occupational therapists in mental health practice. Australian occupational therapy journal, 2013. Vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 110—119. DOI:10.1111/1440-1630.12012
- Ferreira P., Gomes S. The Role of Resilience in Reducing Burnout: A Study with Healthcare Workers during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Social Sciences,2021. Vol. 10, no. 9, article ID 317. 13 p. DOI:10.3390/socsci10090317
- Kelly F., Uys M., Bezuidenhout D., Mullane S.L., Bristol C. Improving Healthcare Worker Resilience and Well-Being During COVID-19 Using a Self-Directed E-Learning Intervention.Frontiers in Psychology, 2021. Vol. 12,article ID 748133. 9 p. DOI:10.3389/fpsyg.2021.748133
- Itzhaki-Braun Y. Coping with COVID-19: Resilience factors amongst community social workers. The British Journal of Social Work, 2022. Vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 3443—3459. DOI:10.1093/bjsw/bcab250
- Walsh P., Owen P.A., Mustafa N., Beech R. Learning and teaching approaches promoting resilience in student nurses: An integrated review of the literature.Nurse Education in Practice, 2020. Vol. 45, article ID 102748, 9 p. DOI:10.1016/j.nepr.2020.102748
- Litam S.D.A., Ausloos C.D., Harrichand J.J.S. Stress and Resilience Among Professional Counselors During the COVID‐19 Pandemic. Journal of Counseling & Development, 2021. Vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 384—395. DOI:10.1002/jcad.12391
- Martin L., McDowall A. The professional resilience of mid-career GPs in the UK: a qualitative study. British Journal of General Practice, 2022, no. 72, pp. e75—e83. DOI:10.3399/BJGP.2021.0230
- Newell J.M. An ecological systems framework for professional resilience in social work practice. Social Work, 2020. Vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 65—73. DOI:10.1093/sw/swz044
- Phillips K., Knowlton M., Riseden J. Emergency department nursing burnout and resilience.Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal, 2022. Vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 54—62. DOI:10.1097/TME.0000000000000391
- Mösler T., Poppek S., Leonhard C., Collet W. Reflective Skills, Empathy, Wellbeing, and Resilience in Cognitive-Behavior Therapy Trainees Participating in Mindfulness-Based Self-Practice/Self-Reflection. Psychological Reports, 2022. 21 p. Ahead of Print. DOI:10.1177/00332941221094482
- Foster K., Roche M., Delgado C., Cuzzillo C., Giandinoto J.-A., Furness T. Resilience and mental health nursing: An integrative review of international literature.International journal of mental health nursing, 2019. Vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 71—85. DOI:10.1111/inm.12548
- Safiye T., Vukčević B., Gutić M., Milidrag A., Dubljanin D., Dubljanin J., Radmanović B. Resilience, Mentalizing and burnout syndrome among healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic in Serbia. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2022. Vol. 19, no. 11, article ID 6577. 13 p. DOI:10.3390/ijerph19116577
- Rivard A.M., Brown C.A. Moral distress and resilience in the occupational therapy workplace. Safety, 2019. Vol. 5, no. 1, article ID 10. 9 p. DOI:10.3390/safety5010010
- Rosenberg A.R. Seeking professional resilience. Pediatrics, 2018. Vol. 141, no. 3, article ID e20172388. 3 p. DOI:10.1542/peds.2017-2388
- Voon S.P., Lau P.L., Leong K.E., Jaafar J.L.S. Self-compassion and psychological well-being among Malaysian counselors: The mediating role of resilience. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 2022. Vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 475—488. DOI:10.1007/s40299-021-00590-w
- Hitchcock C., Hughes M., McPherson L., Whitaker L. The role of education in developing students’ professional resilience for social work practice: a systematic scoping review. The British Journal of Social Work, 2021. Vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 2361—2380. DOI:10.1093/bjsw/bcaa054
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 34
Current month: 8
Previous month: 8
Current month: 1