Effectiveness of Training in Master’s Degree through the Eyes of Undergraduates
The evaluation of the effectiveness and quality of teacher training, which exists today at the level of master’s education, including for preschool education, is aimed at determining the degree of achievement of the results planned in the program. In fact, the measure of the formation of competencies necessary, according to the authors of the program, is assessed for the implementation of independent pedagogical activity. However, this assessment of the quality of teacher training in the magistracy seems to be one-sided. Of unconditional interest is the effectiveness of the use of acquired competencies by masters in real pedagogical activity and / or the assessment by teachers of their new professional qualities in solving educational problems. But studies of these issues have not been identified in the psychological and pedagogical literature. The purpose of the study was to evaluate the effectiveness of mastering the master’s program by identifying the opinion of master teachers on the impact of studying in a master’s program on their professional activities. The study was conducted using a survey. It was attended by masters who graduated from the university in the period from 2013 to 2022. The survey made it possible to obtain general information about the respondents, to determine the goals of entering the magistracy, to learn about met and unfulfilled expectations, about the impact of studying at the magistracy on their professional activities, and above all, on interaction with children. The obtained data on how undergraduates themselves feel their own progress in the profession are interesting. The results of the study allow us to speak about a positive assessment by undergraduates of training under the program both in terms of improving professional qualities and skills, and in terms of developing personal qualities. Problems were also identified, primarily related to the lack of conditions within the system of preschool education that motivate teachers to develop professionally.
Keywords: higher education, master’s degree, psychological and pedagogical education, teacher of preschool education, learning effectiveness
Article type: scientific article
Acknowledgements. The authors express their gratitude to the respected experts of the questionnaire and graduates of the master’s program “Psychology and Pedagogy of Preschool Childhood” (MSUPE) who took part in the survey.
For citation: Burlakova I.A., Klopotova E.E. Effectiveness of Training in Master’s Degree through the Eyes of Undergraduates [Elektronnyi resurs]. Vestnik prakticheskoi psikhologii obrazovaniya = Bulletin of Psychological Practice in Education, 2023. Vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 7–25. DOI: 10.17759/bppe.2023200201. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Altynikova N.V., Muzaev A.A. Otsenka predmetnykh i metodicheskikh kompetentsii uchitelei: aprobatsiya edinykh federal’nykh otsenochnykh materialov [Subject and Methodological Competencies in Teachers: Testing the Unified Federal Evaluation Tools] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2019. Vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 31–41. doi:10.17759/pse.2019240102 (In Russ.).
- Bolotov V.A., Rubtsov V.V., Frumin I.D., Margolis A.A., Kasprzhak A.G., Safronova M.A., Kalashnikov S.P. Informatsionno-analiticheskie materialy po itogam pervogo etapa proekta “Modernizatsiya pedagogicheskogo obrazovaniya” [Information Analysis Products on the First Phase Results of the Project Modernization of Pedagogical Education] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2015. Vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 13–28. doi:10.17759/pse.2015200503 (In Russ.).
- Bocharova N.A., Pisareva S.A., Puchkov M.Yu., Snegurova V.I., Tryapitsyna A.P. Kontseptsiya urovnevoi otsenki kompetentsii uchitelya [Concept of teacher's competences level evaluation]. Chelovek i obrazovanie = Man and Education, 2017, no. 3 (52), pp. 164–171. (In Russ.).
- Dmitrieva M.M., Umnov S.V., Podolsky D.A. Samootsenka kak instrument opredeleniya effektivnosti korporativnykh obrazovatel’nykh program [Self-assessment of Сompetencies as a Tool for Assessing the Effectiveness of Corporate Educational Programs] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya = Psychological-Educational Studies, 2021. Vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 189–202. doi:10.17759/psyedu.2021130412 (In Russ.).
- Ermolaeva M.V., Isaev E.I., Lubovsky D.V. Otsenka lichnostnykh obrazovatel’nykh rezul’tatov studentov v protsesse obucheniya v magistrature [Assessing personality-related learning outcomes in master programs] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Voprosy obrazovaniya = Educational Studies. Moscow, 2020, no. 4, pp. 193–206. doi:10.17323/1814-9545-2020-4-193-206 (In Russ.).
- Ermolaeva M.V., Isaev E.I., Lubovskii D.V. Razvitie lichnostnykh kachestv studentov v khode obucheniya v magistrature [Personality Trait Development in Psychology Students During the Graduate Year] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2020. Vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 33–43. doi:10.17759/pse.2020250203 (In Russ.).
- Zakharova L.M., Silakova M.M. Osnovnye podkhody k podgotovke magistrov doshkol’nogo obrazovaniya v kontekste modernizatsii pedagogicheskogo obrazovaniya [Basic approaches to training of masters in pre-school education in the context of modernisation of pedagogical education]. Nauchnoe mnenie = The Scientific Opinion, 2014, no. 10, pp. 9–13. (In Russ.).
- Ivanyushina V. A., Aleksandrov D. A., Musabirov I.L. Struktura akademicheskoi motivatsii: ozhidaniya i sub”ektivnye tsennosti osvoeniya universitetskogo kursa [The Structure of Students’ Motivation: Expectancies and Values in Taking Data Science Course] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Voprosy obrazovaniya = Educational Studies. Moscow, 2016, no. 4, pp. 229–250. doi:10.17323/1814-9545-2016-4-229-250 (In Russ.).
- Margolis A.A. Deyatel’nostnyi podkhod v pedagogicheskom obrazovanii [Activity Approach in Teacher Education] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2021. Vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 5–39. doi:10.17759/pse.2021260301 (In Russ.).
- Margolis A.A. Modeli podgotovki pedagogov v ramkakh programm prikladnogo bakalavriata i pedagogicheskoi magistratury [Teacher Training Models in Applied Bachelor and Pedagogical Master Programs] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2015. Vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 45–64. doi:10.17759/pse.2015200505 (In Russ.).
- Margolis A.A., Safronova M.A. Itogi kompleksnogo proekta po modernizatsii pedagogicheskogo obrazovaniya v Rossiiskoi Federatsii (2014—2017 gg.) [The Project of Modernisation of Teacher Education in the Russian Federation: Outcomes 2014—2017] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2018. Vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 5–24. doi:10.17759/pse.2018230101 (In Russ.).
- Margolis A.A., Safronova M.A., Drobyazko A.A., Kuravsky L.S., Golovanova I.A., Pominov D.A. Elektronnoe portfolio kak sredstvo formirovaniya refleksivnogo otnosheniya studentov k uchebe [Electronic Portfolio as a Mean of Reflection Formation for Students Learning] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya = Psychological-Educational Studies, 2021. Vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 3–16. doi:10.17759/psyedu.2021130201 (In Russ.)
- Margolis A.A., Sorokova M.G., Shvedovskaya A.A. Ochnyi, smeshannyi ili onlain-format: kak predpochitayut uchit’sya studenty? [Face-to-face, Blended or Online: How Do Students Prefer to Study?] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2022. Vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 5–20. doi:10.17759/pse.2022270501 (In Russ.).
- Sorokova M.G. Tsifrovaya obrazovatel’naya sreda universiteta: komu bolee komfortno v nei uchit’sya? [Digital Educational Environment in University: Who is More Comfortable Studying in It?] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2020. Vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 44–58. doi:10.17759/pse.2020250204 (In Russ.).
- Borch I., Sandvoll R., Risør T. Discrepancies in Purposes of Student Course Evaluations: What Does It Mean to Be “Satisfied”? Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability, 2020. Vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 83–102. doi:10.1007/s11092-020-09315-x
- Curby T., McKnight P., Alexander L., Erchov S. Sources of Variance in End-of-Course Student Evaluations. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 2020. Vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 44–53. doi:10.1080/02602938.2019.1607249
- Fadie H., Oostdam R., Severiens S.E., Zijlstra B.J.H. Assessing the Professional Identity of Primary Student Teachers: Design and Validation of the Teacher Identity Measurement Scale. Studies in Educational Evaluation, 2020. Vol. 64, pp. 1–10. doi:10.1016/j.stueduc.2019.100822
- Ferguson E., Sanders A., O’Hehir F., James D. Predictive validity of personal statements and the role of the five-factor model of personality in relation to medical training. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 2000. Vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 321–344. doi:10.1348/096317900167056
- Harshit T. Evaluation of training and development: an analysis of various models. Journal of Business and Management, 2012. Vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 16–22. doi:10.9790/487X-0521622
- Jamil F.M., Hamre B.K. Teacher Reflection in the Context of an Online Professional Development Course: Applying Principles of Cognitive Science to Promote Teacher Learning. Action in Teacher Education, 2018. Vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 220–236. doi:10.1080/01626620.2018.1424051
- Kikas E., Jõgi A.-L. Assessment of learning strategies: self-report questionnaire or learning task. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 2015. Vol. 31, pp. 579–593. doi:10.1007/S10212-015-0276-3
- Lincoln J., Casidy R. Authentic assessment in business education: its effects on student satisfaction and promoting behavior. Studies in Higher Education, 2018. Vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 401–415. doi:10.1080/03075079.2016.1165659
- Melhuish E. et al. A Review of Research on the Effects of Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) upon Child Development. European Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC), 2015. URL: https://ecec-care.org/fileadmin/careproject/Publications/reports/CARE_WP4_D4__1_review_of_effects_of_ecec.pdf (Accessed 10.04.2023).
- Murat Sozer E., Zeybekoglu Z., Kaya M. Using Mid-Semester Course Evaluation as a Feedback Tool for Im-proving Learning and Teaching in Higher Education. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 2019. Vol. 44, no. 7, pp.1003–1016. doi:10.1080/02602938.2018.1564810
- Siraj I., Howard S. J., Kingston D., Neilsen-Hewett C., Melhuish E.C., de Rosnay M. Comparing Regulatory and Non-Regulatory Indices of Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) Quality in the Australian Early Childhood Sector. The Australian Educational Researcher, 2019. Vol. 46, pp. 365–383. doi:10.1007/S13384-019-00325-3
- Slot P. L., Leseman P., Verhagen J., Mulder H. Associations between Structural Quality Aspects and Pro-cess Quality in Dutch Early Education and Care Settings. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 2015. Vol. 33. 4th Quarter, pp. 64–76. doi:10.1016/j.ecresq.2015.06.001
- Tuononen T., Parpala A., Lindblom S. Graduates’ Evaluations of Usefulness of University Education, and Early Career Success — a Longitudinal Study of the Transition to Working Life. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 2019. Vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 581–595. doi:10.1080/02602938.2018.1524000
- Xiao B., Tobin J. The use of video as a tool for reflection with preservice teachers. Journal of Early Child-hood Teacher Education, 2018. Vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 328–345. doi:10.1080/10901027.2018.1516705
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 17
Current month: 0
Previous month: 2
Current month: 0