Conditions for the adaptation of foreign students to universities
Keywords: foreign students, foreign postgraduates, acculturation, academic adaptation, socio-psychological adaptation, social support
Journal rubric: Educational Psychology
Article type: review article
For citation: Apasova М.V., Kulagina I.Y., Apasova E.V. Conditions for the adaptation of foreign students to universities [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sovremennaia zarubezhnaia psikhologiia = Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, 2020. Vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 129–137. DOI: 10.17759/jmfp.2020090412. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Verchenova E.A. O primenenii sotsiometrii v kross-kul'turnom issledovanii (na materiale kitaiskikh studentov) [On the Problem of Applying Sociometric Techniques in Cross|Cultural Research (with Chinese Student Groups as an Example)] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sotsial'naya psikhologiya i obshchestvo [Social Psychology and Society], 2014. Vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 142–150. URL: https://psyjournals.ru/social_psy/2014/n3/70714.shtml (Accessed 16.12.2020). (In Russ.).
- Chibisova M.Yu., Verchenova E.A. Yazykovaya kompetentnost', razvitie gruppy i sotsiometricheskii status inostrannykh studentov v rossiiskom vuze (na primere issledovaniya kitaiskikh studentov) [Language competency, group development and sociometric status of foreign students in Russian higher eduction institutions (a case study of Chinese students)]. Sotsial'naya psikhologiya i obshchestvo [Social Psychology and Society], 2017. Vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 93–107. DOI:10.17759/sps.2017080106 (In Russ.).
- Li J.Q. et al. Acculturation, internet use, and psychological well-being among Chinese international students [Elektronnyi resurs]. Journal of International Students, 2013. Vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 155–166. URL: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tianlan_Elaine_Wei/publication/259891663_Acculturation_Internet_Use_and_Psychological_Well-being_Among_Chinese_International_Students/links/0f31752f3d4af019e7000000/Acculturation-Internet-Use-and-Psychological-Well-being-Among-Chinese-International-Students.pdf (Accessed 16.12.2020). (In Russ.).
- Gebregergis W.T. et al. Antecedents of Psychological Adjustment of International Students Studying in China: The Roles of Self-Efficacy and Self-Esteem. Open Journal of Social Sciences, 2019, no. 7, pp. 233–254. DOI:10.4236/jss.2019.72019
- Banjong D.N., Wuraola A., Biaku M. International students from different continents face varied challenges and seek campus support in dissimilar ways [Elektronnyi resurs]. International Educational Scientific Research Journal, 2016. Vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 118–128. URL: https://iesrj.com/archive-sub?detail=INTERNATIONAL_STUDENTS_FR (Accessed 16.12.2020).
- Baohua Y., Downing K. Downing. Determinants of international students’ adaptation: examining effects of integrative motivation, instrumental motivation and second language proficiency. Educational Studies, 2012. Vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 457–471. DOI:10.1080/03055698.2011.643111
- Brown L. Worlds apart: the barrier between east and west. Journal of International and Intercultural Communication, 2009. Vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 240–259. DOI:10.1080/17513050902985323
- Spencer-Oatey H. et al. Chinese students’ social integration in the university community: hearing the students’ voices. Higher Education, 2017. Vol. 74, pp. 739–756. DOI:10.1007/s10734-016-0074-0
- Luo C. et al. Cross-Cultural Adaptation of Foreign Students in Chinese University: Based on Network of Social Support. Cross-Cultural Communication, 2014. Vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 16–20. DOI:10.3968/j.ccc.1923670020141001.4018
- Dauber D., Spencer-Oatey H. Internationalisation and student diversity: how far are the opportunity benefits being perceived and exploited? Higher Education, 2019. Vol. 78, pp. 1035–1058. DOI:10.1007/s10734-019-00386-4
- Edara I.R. Social and Spiritual Dimensions as Protective Factors in the Relationship between Acculturative Stress and Subjective Well-Being among International Students in Taiwan. Psychology, 2018. Vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1582–1604. DOI:10.4236/psych.2018.97096
- Gesing P., Glass C. The development of social capital through international students’ involvement in campus organizations. Journal of International Students, 2018. Vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 1274–1292. DOI:10.5281/zenodo.1254580
- Glass C. Educational experiences associated with international students’ learning, development, and positive perceptions of campus climate. Journal of Studies in International Education, 2012. Vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 226–249. DOI:10.1177/1028315311426783
- Glass C., Gómez E., Urzua A. Recreation, intercultural friendship, and international students' adaptation to college by region of origin. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2014. Vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 104–117. DOI:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2014.05.007
- Hendrickson B. Intercultural connectors: Explaining the influence of extra-curricular activities and tutor programs on international student friendship network development. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2018. Vol. 63, pp. 1–16. DOI:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2017.11.002
- Hotta J., Ting-Toomey S. Intercultural adjustment and friendship dialectics in international students: A qualitative study. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2013. Vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 550–566. DOI:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2013.06.007
- Jackson M., Ray S., Bybell D. International students in the U.S.: Social and psychological adjustment [Elektronnyi resurs]. Journal of International Students, 2013. Vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 17–28. URL: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1056438.pdf (Accessed 16.12.2020).
- Jones R., Kim Y.S. Communication Experiences of International Students in the U.S.: A Comparison Study of Cross-Cultural Adaptation between European and Asian Students [Elektronnyi resurs]. Scientia et Humanitas: A Journal of Student Research, 2013. Vol. 3, pp. 83–104. URL: https://libjournals.mtsu.edu/index.php/scientia/article/view/667 (Accessed 16.12.2020).
- Kudo K. Social representation of intercultural exchange in an international university. Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 2016. Vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 256–268. DOI:10.1080/01596306.2015.1014881
- Kwon Y. The sociocultural adjustment of Chinese graduate students at Korean universities: A qualitative study. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2013. Vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 536–549. DOI:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2013.06.004
- Lee J., Ciftci A. Asian international students’ socio-cultural adaptation: Influence of multicultural personality, assertiveness, academic self-efficacy, and social support. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2014. Vol. 38, pp. 97–105. DOI:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2013.08.009
- Li M., Campbell J. Cultural Adaptation: A case study of Asian students’ learning experiences at a New Zealand university [Elektronnyi resurs]. Proceedings of the EDU-COM 2006 International conference. Engagement and empowerment: new opportunities for growth in higher education (Perth Western Australia, Edith Cowan University, 22–24 November 2006). Perth Western: Edith Cowan University, 2006, pp. 299–307. URL: https://ro.ecu.edu.au/ceducom/86 (Accessed 16.12.2020).
- Liang C., Yang X. Nature and Effectiveness of Online Social Support for Intercultural Adaptation of Mainland Chinese International Students [Elektronnyi resurs]. International Journal of Communication, 2015. Vol. 9, pp. 2161–2181. URL: https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/2867/1420 (Accessed 16.12.2020).
- McKenzie L., Baldassar L. Missing friendships: understanding the absent relationships of local and international students at an Australian university. Higher Education, 2017. Vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 701–715. DOI:10.1007/s10734-016-0073-1
- Rienties B., Tempelaar D. The role of cultural dimensions of international and Dutch students on academic and social integration and academic performance in the Netherlands. International journal of intercultural relations, 2013. Vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 188–201. DOI:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2012.11.004
- Rosen D., Hendrickson B. Insights into New Media Use by International Students: Implications for Cross-Cultural Adaptation Theory. Social Networking, 2017. Vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 81–106. DOI:10.4236/sn.2017.62006
- Ryan J. Internationalisation of doctoral education. Possibilities for new knowledge and understandings [Elektronnyi resurs]. Australian universities’ review, 2012. Vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 55–63. URL: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ968523.pdf (Accessed 16.12.2020).
- Sovic S. Coping with stress: the perspective of international student. Art, Design & Communication in Higher Education, 2008. Vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 145–158. DOI:10.1386/adch.6.3.145_1
- Spencer-Oatey H., Xiong Z. Chinese Students' Psychological and Sociocultural Adjustments to Britain: An Empirical Study. Language, Culture and Curriculum, 2006. Vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 37–53. DOI:10.1080/07908310608668753
- Tanaka T., Okunishi Y. Social skills use of international students in Japan. Japanese Psychological Research, 2016. Vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 54–70. DOI:10.1111/jpr.12097
- Zhou Y. et al. Theoretical models of culture shock and adaptation in international students in higher education. Studies in Higher Education, 2008. Vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 63–75. DOI:10.1080/03075070701794833
- Tran L.T. Mutual Adaptation of International Students and Academics for the Sustainable Development of International Education [Elektronnyi resurs]. Proceedings of the EDU-COM 2008 International Conference. Sustainability in Higher Education: Directions for Change. (Perth Western Australia, Edith Cowan University, 19-21 November 2008). Perth Western: Cowan University, 2008, pp. 524–538. URL: http://dro.deakin.edu.au/eserv/DU:30056532/tran-mutualadaptation-2008.pdf (Accessed 16.12.2020).
- Traore S.A., Diarra S. Effects of the Intercultural Exchange on the Life of International Students in Wuhan (China). Advancesin Applied Sociology, 2019. Vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 243–257. DOI:10.4236/aasoci.2019.97019
- Vulić-Prtorić A., Oetjen N. Adaptation and Acculturation of International Students in Croatia [Elektronnyi resurs]. Collegium Antropologicum, 2017. Vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 335–343. URL: https://hrcak.srce.hr/205231 (Accessed 16.12.2020).
- Westmont C.M., Glass C.R. Comparative effects of belongingness on the academic success and cross-cultural interactions of domestic and international students. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2014. Vol. 38, pp. 106–119. DOI:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2013.04.004
- Xiao S.L., Yang Z.X., Bernardo A.B.I. Polyculturalism and cultural adjustment of international students: Exploring the moderating role of cultural distance in a quantitative cross-sectional survey study. Cogent Psychology, 2019. Vol. 6, no. 1, 14 p. DOI:10.1080/23311908.2019.1682767
- Yua B., Wrightb Ew. Socio-cultural adaptation, academic adaptation and satisfaction of international higher degree research students in Australia. Tertiary Education and Management, 2016. Vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 49–64. DOI:10.1080/13583883.2015.1127405
- Yusliza M.Y., Shankar Chelliah Adjustment in International Students in Malaysian Public University. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, 2010. Vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 275–278. DOI:10.7763/IJIMT.2010.V1
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 17
Current month: 0
Previous month: 8
Current month: 0