Clinical Psychology and Special Education
2022. Vol. 11, no. 4, 205–232
ISSN: 2304-0394 (online)
The Use of Peabody Tool in the Assessment of Passive Vocabulary in Preschoolers
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the experience of using the Peabody Picture Vocabulary tool to assess receptive vocabulary in preschoolers. The study involved 619 Russian-speaking children aged 3–7 years (M=67.80, SD=13.73), 48.3% of whom were boys. The Peabody Picture Vocabulary test-IV (form A) was used in the study. The article analyzed differences between children of different age groups from 3.5 to 7.5 years with a step of six months. It was found that there were significant differences in the ceiling items, the total number of errors, and the raw scores in children of different age groups. No gender differences were found. An analysis of the children's performance of series and individual tasks showed that the complexity of the tasks was unevenly distributed. As a result, the methodology in its current form does not work quite as it was intended by its creators: Moscow preschoolers go through a lot of series and spend a lot of time on the implementation of the methodology, which is due to differences in the lexical systems between Russian and English. In this regard, the tool is not optimal for use in its current form; the authors of the article propose to design a local tool for the assessment of the receptive vocabulary in Russian preschoolers.
Keywords: preschool age, speech development, receptive vocabulary, assessment of speech development, assessment methods, Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test
Journal rubric: Methods and Techniques
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The study was financed by the RSCF Grant No. 20-18-00457.
For citation: Kartushina N.A., Oshchepkova E.S., Almazova O.V., Bukhalenkova D.A. The Use of Peabody Tool in the Assessment of Passive Vocabulary in Preschoolers [Elektronnyi resurs]. Klinicheskaia i spetsial'naia psikhologiia = Clinical Psychology and Special Education, 2022. Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 205–232. DOI: 10.17759/cpse.2022110409. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Akhutina T.V. Neirolingvistika normy [Neurolinguistics of norms]. In E.D. Chomskaya, T.V. Akhutina (eds.), I Mezhdunarodnaya konferentsiya pamyati A.R. Luriya: Sb. dokladov = I International conference in memory of A.R. Luria: Collection of report. Moscow: MSU, RPS, 1998, pp. 289–298. (In Russ.).
- Veraksa A.N., Almazova O.V., Oshchepkova E.S. et al. Diagnostika razvitiya rechi v starshem doshkol'nom vozraste: batareya neiropsikhologicheskikh metodik i normy [Assessment of speech development in senior preschool age: The battery of neuropsychological tests and norms]. Klinicheskaya i spetsial'naya psikhologiya = Clinical Psychology and Special Education, 2021, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 256–282. DOI: 10.17759/cpse.2021100313. (In Russ., а in Engl.).
- Vygotsky L. Myshlenie i rech' [Thinking and speech]. Moscow: Labirint, 1996. 414 p. (In Russ.).
- Gomozova M.A., Arutiunian V.G., Lopukhina A.A. et al. Instrument dlya kompleksnogo obsledovaniya rechevykh navykov KORABLIK i opyt ego primeneniya v gruppe mladshikh shkol'nikov s RAS [Russian Child Language Assessment Battery (RuCLAB) and its Application in Primary School Children with ASD]. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2021, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 24–31. DOI: 10.17759/autdd.2021190403. (In Russ., а in Engl.).
- Gorobets E.A., Rul’ N., Gorobets V.I. et al. 5. Issledovanie vospriyatiya rechi u detei s pomoshch'yu neirolingvisticheskoi batarei testov BVL_RU [Study of speech perception in children using the neurolinguistic battery of tests BVL_RU]. In R.R. Zamaletdinov, E.A. Gorobets, E.A. Islamova et al. (eds.), A. Boduehn de Kurteneh i mirovaya lingvistika: mezhdunar. konf.: VIII Boduehnovskie chteniya = J. Baudouin de Courtenay and Worldwide Linguistics. International Conference. Kazan Federal University. November, 17–20, 2021. Proceedings. Kazan: Kazan Federal University, 2021, vol. 1, pp. 82–87. (In Russ.).
- Gribova O.E., Bessonova T.P. Didakticheskii material po obsledovaniyu rechi detei: slovarnyi zapas [Didactic material for children's speech survey: Vocabulary]. M.: ARKTI, 2019. 32 p. (In Russ.).
- Dobrova G.R. Variativnost' rechevogo razvitiya detei [Variation of speech development of children]. Moscow: Yazyki slavyanskoi kul'tury, 2018. 264 p. (In Russ.).
- Kornev A.N. Osnovy logopatologii detskogo vozrasta: klinicheskie i psikhologicheskie aspekty [Fundamentals of childhood speech pathology: Clinical and psychological aspects]. St. Petersburg: Rech', 2006. 380 p. (In Russ.).
- Lyashevskaya O.N., Sharov S.A. Chastotnyi slovar' sovremennogo russkogo yazyka (na materialakh Natsional'nogo korpusa russkogo yazyka) [Frequency Dictionary of the Modern Russian Language (based on the materials of the National Corpus of the Russian Language)]. Moscow: Azbukovnik, 2009. 1087 p. (In Russ.).
- Neiropsikhologicheskaya diagnostika [Neuropsychological diagnostics] / E.D. Chomskaya (ed.). Part 1: Skhema neiropsikhologicheskogo issledovaniya vysshikh psikhicheskikh funktsii i ehmotsional'no–lichnostnoi sfery [Scheme of neuropsychological research of higher mental functions and emotional-personal sphere]. Moscow: Institute of General Humanitarian Research, MPSU, 2007, 57 p. (In Russ.).
- Oshchepkova E.S. Children language assessment: A foreign batteries review. Voprosy psikholingvistiki = Journal of Psycholinguistics, 2020, no. 2 (44), pp. 110–123. DOI: 10.30982/2077-5911-2020-44-2-110-123. (In Russ., abstr. in Engl.).
- Prikhoda N.A. Russian language development assessment as a standardized technique for assessing communicative function in children aged 3–9 years. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2016, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 25–33. DOI: 10.17759/pse.2016210304. (In Russ., а in Engl.).
- Smirnova I.A. Logopedicheskii al'bom dlya obsledovaniya leksiko-grammaticheskogo stroya i svyaznoi rechi [Logopedic album for the survey of the lexical and grammatical structure and coherent speech]. St. Petersburg: Detstvo-Press, 2018. 48 p. (In Russ.).
- Zeitlin S.N. Yazyk i rebenok: Lingvistika detskoi rechi [Language and child: Linguistics of children's speech]. A study guide for students. Moscow: VLADOS, 2000. 238 p. (In Russ.).
- Ushakova O.S. Razvitie rechi doshkol'nikov [The development of speech of preschoolers]. Moscow: Izdatel'stvo Instituta psikhoterapii, 2001. 238 p. (In Russ.).
- Ali F., Costello J. Modification of the Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test. Developmental Psychology, 1971, vol. 5 (1), pp. 86–91. DOI: 1037/h0031077
- Bates E., Dale P.S., Thal D. Individual differences and their implications for theories of language development. In P. Fletcher, B. MacWhinney (eds.), The Handbook of Child Language. Blackwell Publishing, 1996, pp. 95–151. DOI: 10.1111/b.9780631203124.1996.00005.x
- Campbell J. Book review: Peabody picture vocabulary test. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 1998, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 334–338. DOI: 1177/073428299801600405
- Caron D. B. The effect of utilizing American Sign Language as part of a supplementary vocabulary instruction program with hearing kindergarten children. PhD (Psychology) Dissertation. University of Florida, 2005. 166 p.
- Carrow-Woolfolk E. CASL: Comprehensive assessment of spoken language. Circle Pines, MN : American Guidance Services, 1999.
- Chen H., Park H. W., Breazeal C. Teaching and learning with children: Impact of reciprocal peer learning with a social robot on children’s learning and emotive engagement. Computers & Education, 2020, vol. 150, article 103836. DOI: 1016/j.compedu.2020.103836
- Coret M.C., McCrimmon A.W. Test review: Wiig E.H., Semel E., Secord W.A. (2013). Clinical evaluation of language fundamentals–fifth edition (CELF-5). Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 2015, vol. 33 (5), pp. 495–500. DOI: 10.1177/0734282914557616
- De Agostini M., Metz-Lutz M.N., Van Hout A. et al. Oral language evaluation battery of aphasic children: A French standardization. Revue de Neuropsychologie, 1998, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 319–367.
- Demirci C., Güven A. Language proficiency of a bilingual child: A case study. European Journal of English Language Teaching, 2020, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 115–128. DOI: 46827/ejel.v6i1.3373
- Dunn L.M., Dunn D.M. PPVT-4: Peabody picture vocabulary test. Minneapolis, MN: Pearson Assessments, 2007. 100 p. DOI: 10.1037/t15144-000
- Durkin P. Borrowed words: A history of loanwords in English. Oxford University Press, 2014. 491 p. DOI: 1093/acprof:oso/9780199574995.001.0001
- Early D., Bryant D.M., Pianta R.C. et al. Are teachers’ education, major, and credentials related to classroom quality and children's academic gains in pre-kindergarten? Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 2006, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 174–195. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecresq.2006.04.004
- Eriksson M., Marschik P.B., Almgren M. Differences between girls and boys in emerging language skills: Evidence from 10 language communities. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 2012, vol. 30, pt. 2, pp. 326–343. DOI: 1111/j.2044-835X.2011.02042.x
- Etchell A., Adhikari A., Weinberg L.S. et al. A systematic literature review of sex differences in childhood language and brain development. Neuropsychologia, 2018, vol. 114, pp. 19–31. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2018.04.011
- Hodapp A.F., Gerken K.C. Correlations between Scores for Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test—III and the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children—III. Psychological Reports, 1999, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 1139–1142. DOI:2466/pr0.1999.84.3c.1139
- Hoff E., Quinn J.M., Giguere D. What explains the correlation between growth in vocabulary and grammar? New evidence from latent change score analyses of simultaneous bilingual development. Developmental Science, 2018, vol. 21, no. 2, e12536. DOI: 10.1111/desc.12536
- Leaf J. B., Cihon J.H., Leaf R. et al. Concerns about ABA-based intervention: An evaluation and recommendations. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2022, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 2838–2853. DOI: 10.1007/s10803-021-05137-y
- Marini A., Eliseeva N., Gorobets E.A. et al. An introduction to the Russian adaptation of the battery for the assessment of language in children (BVL_RU). 4th International Multidisciplinary Scientific Conferences on Social Sciences and Arts SGEM, 2017, vol. 2, pp. 541–548. DOI: 10.5593/sgemsocial2017/32/S14.069
- Marini A., Marotta L., Bulgheroni S. et al. Batteria per la valutazione del linguaggio in bambini dai 4 ai 12 anni. Firenze, Italy: Giunti O.S., 2015.
- Martin N.A., Brownell R. Receptive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test-4 (ROWPVT-4). Austin: PRO ED. KIT, 2011.
- Olabarrieta-Landa L., Rivera D., Lara L. et al. Verbal fluency tests: Normative data for Spanish-speaking pediatric population. NeuroRehabilitation, 2017, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 673–686. DOI: 10.3233/NRE-172240
- Pae H.K., Greenberg D., Morris R.D. Construct validity and measurement invariance of the Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test–III Form A in the Performance of Struggling Adult Readers: Rasch Modeling. Language Assessment Quarterly, 2012, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 152–171. DOI: 10.1080/15434303.2011.613504
- Puimège E., Peters E. Learners’ English vocabulary knowledge prior to formal instruction: The role of learner‐related and word‐related variables. Language Learning, 2019, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 943–977. DOI: 1111/lang.12364
- Siugzdaite R., Bathelt J., Holmes J. et al. Transdiagnostic brain mapping in developmental disorders. Current Biology, 2020, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1245–1257. DOI: 1016/j.cub.2020.01.078
- Smith T. C., Edmonds J. E., Smith B. The role of sex differences in the referral process as measured by the Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test‐Revised and the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children‐Revised. Psychology in the Schools, 1989, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 354–358. DOI: 10.1002/1520-6807(198910)26:4<354::AID-PITS2310260405>3.0.CO;2-A
- Stockman I.J. The new Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test—III: An illusion of unbiased assessment? Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 2000, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 340–353. DOI:1044/0161-1461.3104.340
- Suggate S., Schaughency E., McAnally H.M. et al. From infancy to adolescence: The longitudinal links between vocabulary, early literacy skills, oral narrative, and reading comprehension. Cognitive Development, 2018, vol. 47, pp. 82–95. DOI: 1016/j.cogdev.2018.04.005
- Talantseva O.I., An I.O., Zhukova M.A. et al. Psychometric properties of the Preschool Language Scales, Fifth Edition (PLS-5) in Russian-speaking children. Clinical Psychology and Special Education, 2022, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 174–195. DOI: 10.17759/cpse.2022110211
- Walker S.P., Chang S.M., Wright A.S. et al. Cognitive, psychosocial, and behaviour gains at age 31 years from the Jamaica early childhood stimulation trial. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 2022, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 626–635. DOI: 1111/jcpp.13499
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 45
Current month: 2
Previous month: 19
Current month: 0